Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP For MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kajitox, Nov 12, 2008.

1. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I've long been considering a new external monitor for my (Santa Rosa) MBP and after deciding that paying a $400 premium for something with an Apple logo on it was likely a bad idea, I have turned away from the 23" (now discontinued) Apple Cinema Display.

Now I've been setting my sights on other opportunities, and have come across the Dell US 2408. Anyone have any experience with this monitor? 24" of glory for $517 is quite tempting...

2. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
  3. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I use the Dell Ultrasharp WFP2408 hooked up to my Early 2008 Macbook Pro 17" at work. Once you get it calibrated, it's a pretty damn fine screen for the money.

4. mac4matt macrumors member

5. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

7. mac4matt macrumors member

According to Dell's specks, yes.

8. darshan macrumors member

there really isnt any difference between apple cinema displays and the ones from dell... i kno alot of you may argue with this but lemme state clearly ITS MY PERSONA OPINION...

i have the 22" dell monitor... and its absolutely amazing...

its bright and everything looks just as well it would on the laptop schreen...

plus has HDMI imput so i get to hook up my xbox360 and play it without even leaving my room...

think about your needs and why u need to spend $800+ on something which would do the job for 300-400

9. chriscamp macrumors newbie

I was waiting for the new LED Cinema Display for my new MBP but all the waiting made me rethink spending that kind of money for a monitor. I tried and returned a couple 24" panels but picked up a newly released Samsung 23" 2343BW for $300 Canadian the other day and it is great. Even though it is a TN panel (I think) it has great viewing angles and color (after calibration) and the 2048x1152 resolution in a 23" area fits nicely with the MPB display's smaller pixel pitch. The only downside so far is a horrible non-height adjustable stand but that can be remedied with an arm or new stand (or a couple books). C

10. six.four macrumors 6502

Nope. Stop feeding people wrong information. The 2408WFP uses a Samsung S-PVA panel.

11. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

He was talking about the 22-inch.

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

When you see those kinda stats, as on the 22" Dell, it makes buying the new 24" LED Apple Cinema Display kinda dumb.?!.?!.?!

Perhaps I need to rethink this for myself, too.

13. six.four macrumors 6502

My bad. :(

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The 'Spec's' are irrelevant in most cases. The main thing you need to look for is the panel type which can be told by the viewing angles.

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Ok, I bite, why do the specs not matter?

For example notice the 5ms response times for the Dell as compared to the 14ms of the Apple. Is that not noticeable to the viewer???

What about all of the specs as a measure of capability. Why else do they list the specs???

16. mac4matt macrumors member

I was referring to the 22-inch panel. Check it out for yourself if you're so smart.

17. six.four macrumors 6502

I already apologized - look four posts above. Sorry about that bud.

18. cube macrumors G5

19. jaypunkrawk macrumors member

I ordered the 2408WFP for that price on 12/1 and received it 12/4. Out of the box, the brightness is insane and certain colors are blinding. After a bit of work it looks nice. I did notice, though, that photos don't look as crisp on this monitor as they do on my MBP 15.4" screen. Not sure what's up with that.

Mine seems to be a dud, though, because of a fluorescent tube flicker. It's very annoying when your brightness starts changing levels in quick succession and then stops and then starts again. Also there's one bright pixel. I'm not sure yet if I will exchange this monitor or shop around for something else.

20. Hatchet macrumors regular

Stay away unless you can afford calibration software. I had a nightmare of a time trying to calibrate it to look even remotely close to print colors. Ended up just sending it back because it came with cartoon-like colors out of the box.

If you can afford those calibration tools ($100+) that work, you can risk it. The fonts aren't 100% crisp and it's a pain to deal with.

Personally, the ACD 23" had better colors out of the box and was easier to calibrate even for it's price premium. Plus it has a better paneling.

21. wesd macrumors newbie

Yes

I have the 2405FP from 2006 and it's beautiful and works great with my MacBook pro. Highly recommend, best bang for the buck in monitors.

22. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

To provide a follow-up for those who are interested: I got one of these and have been using it for the past week or so. Right out of the box, the colors were a bit off and I intend to get it calibrated by a friend - I found it was too red and the contrast needed to be bumped up. The brightness is great and the menus to change the levels are relatively easy to use.

Other than color, the connectivity is a little tricky and somewhat finicky - just have to look up the proper way to get it working while the laptop is closed. The 4 extra USB connections are a lifesaver (remember to plug in the upstream USB provided with the monitor, else nothing will work!) and I've already used the SD card slot many times. No dead pixels from my observation and it has a great stylish design. So far, though my experience is limited, I'd recommend.

23. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Hmm.. so many mixed things on this monitor. I'd like to use it with a Mac Mini, but this calibration thing is scaring me.

24. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Bite away :D

When I say specs, I was referring to things such as contract ratio, brightness, etc. If you look at a screen with 8000:1 contrast ratio and one with 20,000:1 contrast ratio, you will not notice any difference, etc.

Response times are only important if you're playing games with the screen. That being said, I have a 23" Apple Cinema Display and I play games on it with no problems at all.

25. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

And I have the 2407 which I can describe in the same terms. Much better value than the ACDs.