Dell Ultrasharp 27" "5k" 5120x2880 display, 218 PPI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kwijbo, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwijbo macrumors regular

2. Fietsbel macrumors member

Dell monitor could mean retina Mac 2014?

Dell announced their latest monitor: Dell UtraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor with a resolution of 5120 x 2880. They will be available at the end of the year. Price is unknown yet.

Since dell and apple have used similar screens, this could be that we will get the imac 2014 with retina! and (assumption) could be available at the end of the year!

What are your thoughts?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The technology has been around for some time, so there was no technical reason.

The Dell monitor is around 2,500 if I'm not wrong. I think at the price point, it may not be a feasible option quite yet.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Ill wait for October for a rATD. If you are used to to a thunderbolt dock for your Macbook, it is very hard to want to give that up.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

This display could potentially be amazing. I have the Dell Dell UP2414Q. That display is incredible but is 'only' 24". The crispness of a Retina desktop display is breathtaking. The quality of it is significantly better than any Dell display I've had before. And it's not glossy which helps a lot.

This 27" 5K display will probably require dual Thunderbolt inputs.

I'm excited about this display. I assume Apple's eventual (hopefully they'll make one) Retina ACD and the iMac will be glossy. Maybe there will be a matte option.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that's what Anandtech says.

I got all excited when this popped up in RSS thinking here comes my new Thunderbolt Display... then I got to the bottom of the article and saw $2,500. :(

Of course Apple's price purchasing these screens by the boatload would be much less, but that still seems to put it out of reach for a reasonably priced iMac or TBD. Also from the Anandtech comments about the connections required it looks like it would require a high end video card.

8. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

9. Anitramane macrumors 6502

10. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The current 27" iMac panel also appears in a Dell monitor. So this monitor bodes well for a retina iMac.

11. Truthfulie macrumors regular

With monitors cost as much as current iMac, it isn't happening anytime soon. Certainly not 'today'. By the way, what is the panel technology used in that monitor? I don't think it is specified anywhere. (At that price point, I would think it isn't IPS)

12. kwijbo thread starter macrumors regular

Dell is the largest monitor producer in terms of worldwide sales, I'd think whatever the lowest cost for these panels is, they're getting it. They actually ship more monitors annually than Apple does computers :eek:

This monitor will certainly drop quite a bit from this MSRP as time goes on. The UP2414q was originally $1,400 and can now be had for $750 easily after just about 9 months of being on the market. Also consider that this uses dual inputs and most likely won't support DP 1.3 (whenever that spec is finalized) so it will become "outdated" somewhat sooner than normal.

I think Dell knows this and is pricing it higher to start off so they can recoup those R&D costs over what will be a shorter product lifetime.

A retina iMac would actually be more elegant than a rTBD as the dual DP connections would be internal and seamless to the user. A rTBD would also most likely only work with the nMP as of now since it's the only model with more than one TB controller.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

It is possible that Apple and Dell source from the same companies in China or South Korea. But I doubt Apple sources from Dell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.