Dell Ultrasharp 2709W for $550 CAD. Pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DeusInvictus7, Apr 17, 2009.

1. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Hey guys,

I was just on the Dell.ca website, and in the small business section they have the 2709W for $550, and the price expires tomorrow. Amazing price considering the $1000 normal price here in Canada.

I plan to use the monitor as a secondary monitor for my macbook to watch movies on and just spread out my screen real estate. Also, I want to use it to plug my PS3 into and watch Blu-Ray movies on and do some occasional gaming. I was reading a review and the monitor does offer 1:1 mapping so gaming won't get stretched vertically.

I just want a good "all-in-one" monitor for my macbook and my PS3, so based on what I plan to use the monitor for, is it a good way to go? What do you guys think?

2. gathart macrumors regular

3. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

That was useful... And where else will this post go? I am in the Buying Tips/Advice forum right? And don't say "it's for apple hardware", because there are plenty of threads here that aren't referring to apple hardware.

I am going to be using it with my macbook, so I think it is relevant.

4. L0s7man macrumors 6502

I personally want SX2210; 21.5" and full HD seems to hit the sweetspot. Unfortunately it's not available in Europe yet :(

But this one seems to be good. Try to look for reviews - there are amazing Dell monitors and there are crap Dell monitors...

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this question in this section of the forums. Threads like this appear all the time. (Speaking of, did you search).

For your uses of movies and gaming, it's an ok price...you won't find too many 27" LCD displays here in Canada in that range. It's not a professional-grade panel, but you don't need one. Seems a little pricey though, just for a monitor. That's my opinion though.

6. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes I did search, and nothing came up about this. It has a PVA panel, which I think is the best of both worlds as far as panels go, so that is probably why it is more expensive. I found some reviews around the internet, but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts about it.

The SX2210 looks pretty good too, awesome styling, would go nice with the aluminum macbooks, although it might be too small for my PS3.

I just don't want to miss out on an almost 50% deal. I was going to just get a 32" 1080p TV for what I do, but that costs $800+, so either way, $550 is a really good price.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

ummmmm. anyways

the ultrasharps are actually pretty nice but if i were you i'd try to go for a different brand. IMO i think Samsung makes the best monitors

8. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I love Samsung too, but their 27in is the 275t Plus (PVA or IPS?), which costs almost $900 at most stores. The cheapest I've found for it was I think $849 at Canada Computers.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The resolution is the same as a 24" monitor, so you're not actually getting any more space, just bigger pixels. But I assume you already know that. And for playing PS3 and watching videos, the extra 3" will be nice.

For the price, I'd say jump on it. I was looking at this (or a similar, anyway) monitor a couple weeks ago, and I seem to recall it being $1300.

10. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I would rather have the screen real estate for my PS3 rather than a sharper image and a smaller screen. I don't do much color critical work, just a few photo editing sessions and a video edit here and there, so I don't think I'll need the pixel density of the 24". And plus, the 2709W was 50 bucks CHEAPER than the Ultrasharp 2408WFP :D. Good deal over all I think.

I haven't made a full decision yet, but I did place an order so that I could at least save the price. If I find that I want to wait until later on or something, then I'll just cancel it.

11. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Not a bad deal. I personally went with this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001281

I think I actually have the 24" but same thing. For me having speakers and a Digital Tuner was nice. Its a TN panel but whatever it has good picture quality and good reviews. I hook my 360 to it and works great. Same with the TV and actually has a good amount of customizable picture and sound settings.

12. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I was actually looking at those as well. However here in Canada, the price of the 260HD is the same as what I paid for the 2709W. The only differences would have been the inch size, panel type, and of course, the digital tuner, which, while pretty nifty, I would never use anyway. I already have pretty nice speakers, but that optional soundbar thing looks kinda cool :D.