Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Is this actually correct? Because I am getting HDR even with HDMI. Shouldn't DP be at least equal to HDMI?
Can confirm to myself... With the USB-C - PD adapter I found I'm also not seeing HDR. However I get more scaling options than with HDMI. Same options as with USB-C.

Btw. after installing Big Sur 11.2 public beta Dell is in RGB mode with USB-C, but not with USB-C - DP adapter drops it back to YPbPr.

EDIT: Now I'm torn... Do I keep the RGB mode which I get with direct USB-C connection, or lose RGB and gain fast USB ports in my monitor with USB-C - PD adapter ?

Last edited:

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can confirm to myself... With the USB-C - PD adapter I found I'm also not seeing HDR. However I get more scaling options than with HDMI. Same options as with USB-C.

Btw. after installing Big Sur 11.2 public beta Dell is in RGB mode with USB-C, but not with USB-C - DP adapter drops it back to YPbPr.

EDIT: Now I'm torn... Do I keep the RGB mode which I get with direct USB-C connection, or lose RGB and gain fast USB ports in my monitor with USB-C - PD adapter ?
I’d say RGB.

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
Is this actually correct? Because I am getting HDR even with HDMI. Shouldn't DP be at least equal to HDMI?
It doesn’t show up for me unless I use USB-C. But I shall double check, because it’s been a few weeks since I tried.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
It doesn’t show up for me unless I use USB-C. But I shall double check, because it’s been a few weeks since I tried.
Went to store today and bought proper USB-C to DisplayPort cabel. This one to be exact. Can confirm that with this cable + Big Sur 11.2 I'm getting HDR. No RGB though. I think I'll keep this setup because I really need those extra USB ports on monitor :rolleyes:

Edit: And to be clear; the picture is great. I've switched it back and forth with RGB mode and can't see a difference. I had another crappier USB-C to DP adapter which did degrade the colors and didn't support HDR, but with proper cable I'm extremely happy with this monitor+M1 combo.

Last edited:

shaun-mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
I am currently using USB-C cable with my MacBook Pro, and it works just fine (4k resolution, charging MacBook, mouse+keyboards connected to monitor). But I heard that Display Port cable might give the best display. Would you see much difference compared to USB-C ?
Using DP instead of USB-C means you could get USB 3 with the USB uplink, but that means you need 3 different cables (DP + charge + USB upstream). I can still buy a dock station, but I am not sure that's really useful TBH.
Which dock station would you recommend ?

shaun-mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Dell just replied to me, and was saying that U3219Q is able to provide 4K at 120Hz with Display Port or HDMI, and 4K at 60Hz with USB-C.
They recommend using Display Port if possible. Did you guys saw such benefit by using Display Port ?

Reactions: Mistercharlie

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
HDMI 2.0 maxes out at 4K 60Hz. So Dell is saying bullsh*t.

DisplayPort has higher bandwidth. DisplayPort is always better than HDMI 2.0. USB-C uses DisplayPort.

Use USB-C-to-USB-C or USB-C to DisplayPort (it’s the exact same).

Reactions: Mistercharlie

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
If connecting a Mac mini via USB-C to DisplayPort adapter and via the USB uplink, how is audio transmitted and can one use the macOS taskbar to adjust volume with this type connection? I have a Dell U3421WE monitor.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
If connecting a Mac mini via USB-C to DisplayPort adapter and via the USB uplink, how is audio transmitted and can one use the macOS taskbar to adjust volume with this type connection? I have a Dell U3421WE monitor.
Experimented tonight. Used HDMI for video and connected a USB cable to the upstream USB port of my Dell U3421WE monitor. Unfortunately, audio was sent via HDMI instead of USB. I had hoped it would work, but apparently not.

I read where you could deleted a kernel extension to disable audio via HDMI but I decided not to try that.

sd2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Australia
If Dell U3219Q is connected to Mac mini M1 via Apple thunderbolt cable, can anyone get DCI-P3 colour space?? The only way I can get this is by turning on HDR in the monitor and OSX. I use the monitor at native res mainly for photo image editing and fussy with colour accuracy. I don't have P3 support whether monitor is on RGB or YPbPr. I cannot get the monitor on RGB when I turn on HDR, it reverts to YPbPr. I have checked and found no difference between the two.

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
Dell just replied to me, and was saying that U3219Q is able to provide 4K at 120Hz with Display Port or HDMI, and 4K at 60Hz with USB-C.
They recommend using Display Port if possible. Did you guys saw such benefit by using Display Port ?
Using the Display Port is the only way I can get 3008 x 1692 (my preferred res) without the monitor having wake from sleep issues. Always seems to have this issue when using USB-C. This is on a Mac mini M1.

sd2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Australia
Using the Display Port is the only way I can get 3008 x 1692 (my preferred res) without the monitor having wake from sleep issues. Always seems to have this issue when using USB-C. This is on a Mac mini M1.
Which brand cable or adapter do you use to connect Mac mini M1 to Dell display port? Thanks.

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
Which brand cable or adapter do you use to connect Mac mini M1 to Dell display port? Thanks.
Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort 1.4 Cable

sd2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Australia
Thank you. I’ll order this from the Amazon US store. I currently use an Apple T3 0.8m cable but find the downstream USB ports stop working if the Mac mini is restarted. I need to switch the monitor off and on for the ports to work.

sd2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Australia
I run the USB ports for the monitor from the USB port on the mini. No issue with any USB port with a reboot.
I am running the downstream USB ports for keyboard and mouse through the monitor USB C port as I have that on now for the display. I don't have a C to DP cable yet, if I connect using HDMI, yes I have no issue with the USB ports as I use the USB upstream cable. I am assuming that with the correct USB C to Displayport cable I can use the monitor 3008x1692 @60Hz.

sd2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Australia
Yep - that resolution should work with the cable I suggested.
Thanks. I did speak to Dell today and decided to return the monitor. My key reason was that the colour and flickering did not come up to my expectations for my photography work.
I did order the Cable Matters cable to replace my hdmi cable with my other LG monitor.

Last edited:

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
If Dell U3219Q is connected to Mac mini M1 via Apple thunderbolt cable, can anyone get DCI-P3 colour space?? The only way I can get this is by turning on HDR in the monitor and OSX. I use the monitor at native res mainly for photo image editing and fussy with colour accuracy. I don't have P3 support whether monitor is on RGB or YPbPr. I cannot get the monitor on RGB when I turn on HDR, it reverts to YPbPr. I have checked and found no difference between the two.
I have the 27” version of this display and have P3 working. I followed the steps in this review (scroll to the colour space section).

sd2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Australia
Many thanks. The writeup is very interesting, specifically as he's looking at the monitor in context of Photoshop. I will still return the U3219Q as it has too many glitches for my liking. Dell did appear to know of the USB C upstream glitches with the U3219Q, but did not commit to a future firmware update.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I have the 27” version of this display and have P3 working. I followed the steps in this review (scroll to the colour space section).
Yeah, P3 is hidden pretty well in Dell but it has some support for it (anyway based on Rtings review it did not seem to reach 95% but more close to 80% in their P3 gamut test which was odd). I had U2720Q but I returned it due to quality issues with image uniformity and I did find P3 color mode in menu was not very well calibrated and definitely need proper colorimeter and calibration if that is used. Only sRGB mode seemed about correct. I got instead LG 32UN880-B and I find picture much more uniform (not perfect in my standards but much better than my Dell's had) and even default DCI-P3 mode seems pretty decent (especially gray scale is rather good) and looks about identical to my MBA M1.

I've been using it USB-C to USB-C with my Mac mini M1. No glitches in the image during use, it just has some quirks when rebooting Mac but in normal use Sleep mode wake up and power off to on without powering down monitor from power button (it goes to standby byitself pretty quickly) works fine.

Lichqueen

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Hong Kong
I am using U3219Q connected to Mac Mini M1 and also got the problem that the Monitor does not detect a USB-C signal after reboot, does this cable resolve this problem?

Lichqueen

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Hong Kong
No. I have the Mac mini and the U3219Q, and spent some time with Apple support trying to fix this. It’s still broken in 11.1. I use a CalDigit dock, and connect from there using DisplayPort.

You mean using CalDigit dock with DP cable can resolve USB-C lost signal issue after reboot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.