Dell Ultrasharp U2711 or LED Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CalmCruiser, Feb 13, 2010.

1. CalmCruiser macrumors member

CalmCruiser

Hi there, this week I was recommeded the new Dell Ultrasharp U2711. It was also featured on Engadget.

So with all the speculations about the new arriving MBP (this week), which monitor would you guys recommend to me to use with the MBP.

Also, does anyone have the new Ultrasharp U2711? Is it really that good?

Love to hear your thoughts!!

Cheers, CC

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It isn't shipping for 2 weeks and no where has a real review. While LED back lighting isn't a must have and the glossy screen can be a turn off the Apple display may be better for what you want (which you've not indicated). I'd suggest bookmarking this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1464591 and look again early march. As well as CNET, trustedreviews.co.uk and TFT Central. Also don't buy it but just clicking on that link, [H]ard|Forum and the slickdeals type websites will have contacts for Dell sales people you can call and get a discount from.

3. CalmCruiser thread starter macrumors member

CalmCruiser

@Umbongo; At the Dell website it says "delivery in 5 to 7 days", so it should be out very soon. Also I read the posts in the link you provided, someone states that it would be the same panel as the 27" iMac. I do not think so, because of the high specs of this Dell monitor.

My main use for the monitor would be frequent Lightroom photo editing, frequent CS4 app use, timeline video editing, less frequent, and general office spreadsheet editing.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I clicked your link which took me to the US site, which has ship date of the 28th. Didn't see you were in Europe, which is using a "usually ships in" date, which is not always accurate for product launches.

As for the panel, it will be using the same one, or perhaps a newer revision. There won't be major differences in the panel quality even if it is newer, it is the electronics that make the difference in quality. The best 27" will probably end up being NEC's version, but I don't know when that is due out and it'll likely have a high price in Europe.

Here is a real review of the Dell. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1265617565

Personally I'd be cautious due to the issues with the U2410, but I suppose it depends how badly you need a display if you want to wait to see if people have problems.

5. nutritious macrumors 6502

I'd go with the 27" Dell because it has nearly twice the resolution of the Apple LED display. Both have IPS panels. Also I believe Dell has a zero dead pixel policy (not sure), but if that's true, it's certainly a plus. However, I would bet the Apple LED display gives a prettier picture simply because it's brighter and glossy while the dell display is matte.

6. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

The price of the Dell is 1099. Now why dont you consider the new 27" Imac.
    It is exactly the same screen as the Imac. The entry level Imac is 500 $ more expensive but for that money you get LED backlighting as well as computer attached to it (a pretty decent computer i must say). And i almost forgot you get OSX too

7. nutritious macrumors 6502

Based on his sig, he's already owned a 27" iMac

8. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

Sorry about that did not notice it at all.
    Ohh well buy another one then ... lol

9. CalmCruiser thread starter macrumors member

CalmCruiser

Thanks for the replies, I am still considering the Dell, besides the design-aspects of the ACD it seems to have everything going for it. I already owned the i5 iMac but got fed up with it because of screen flickering and endless shipping periods. Just not a good deal here with Apple. Because of that I am gambling on an i5 MBP and big screen to complement it with.

10. jbrianmurray macrumors newbie

Was wondering if you ended up making this purchase? I am considering the same one and wanted to know how it worked out for you.

Price has come down a bit on the monitor but not sure if its worth waiting for something else.

11. Sunyata7 macrumors newbie

Anyone have anything new to add?

I just got the thunderbolt display and am very disappointed with it in many ways.

Contrast is absolutely horrible as is the refresh rate. Movies, even ones without a lot of movement, often have ghosting problems. The monitor also just doesn't work that well with the MacBook. Obviously it looks very nice but its not worth the $950 price tag... especially considering it offers very few hookups compared to the Dell monitor.

My guess is that it was actually significantly cheaper to produce than the Apple - maybe half the cost. The design obviously is nice, though.

12. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I own two U2711 displays. They are great displays. They have tons of available input ports. Awesome resolution (2560x1440). Good color. Many usb ports, an sd card reader. Pretty decent looking for a non-apple display. I bought both of mine using dell financial services. 6 months same as cash.

They are not LED backlight, so they are absolutely dimmer when I just turn it on.

If I had a new thunderbolt computer, I would get the thunderbolt display. Dell needs to come out with a competitor display.

13. crumpler macrumors member

Which Macbook are you using and does it come with a dedicated graphics card or are you using the integrated intel graphics?

I just bought a TB display as well and experienced no such problems as you have described. I am using a Mac Mini with a dedicated graphics card tho.