Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Anyone have the Dell UltraSharp U2711?

Happy with it? Any issues relative to connectivity/compatibility with the Mac?

Any Sleep problems...anything I should know?

And picture quality...is it all that?

I would be connected it to a Mac Pro, beside a 30" ACD and (for now) a Samsung 23".

Last edited:

20eman

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I have the Dell U3011. I am extremely happy with it. As far as I understand, the U3011 and U2711 use identical panel technology and scaler software and have identical on-screen displays and connectivity options. The only difference is the pixel density and aspect ratio: U2711=2560x1440, U3011=2560x1600. For me, the U3011 doubles as a television screen as well as a workstation monitor, so I needed it to be physically as large as possible but still with high resolution. It's expensive, but I think a high-quality monitor is worth it because it will outlast your computer.

I have my U3011 hooked up by displayport cable (comes with it) to an Apple OEM 5870 (upgrade kit) using a mini-displayport to displayport adapter. Apple doesn't sell this type of adapter but it's the cheapest and highest-fidelity connection possible because the two connectors are electrically the same. I didn't run into the sleep problem; the only issue I've had with the direct displayport connection is that it seems to interfere with the OS X wallpaper-changer, but I was able to find a workaround. Everything also works when booting into Win7 just fine.

I have my previous monitor (which is a Dell 2407WFP-HC) connected by DVI to the same graphics card. Both of my monitors have 100% working pixels and nominally flat backlights. The 2407 has always been a good monitor for me, but the U3011 looks flawless. Make sure you are happy with the anti-glare coating Dell uses on the U3011 and U2711 before you buy, however. I don't think it will match the texture of your ACD.

I have to say that the color fidelity on the U3011 is way superior to the 2407: for example, the U3011 is very consistent across its entire brightness-contrast range, whereas the 2407 takes on a greenish tint at low brightness and a reddish tint at high contrast. I recommend using the "Standard" preset mode and "PC" gamma setting on the U3011 on-screen display, and then using ColorSync to calibrate the monitor.

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I have the U2711. It's a great monitor and calibrates very well with a Spyder 3 puck and ColorEyes Display Pro software. It has a multitude of conectivity options. The anti-glare coating bugs a lot of people with its propensity to sparkle a bit on white backgrounds. I have seen the display look absolutely stunning in photos taken by people brave/crazy enough to remove the coating. Note that many folks tried and irrevocably damaged the screen polarizer in the process. The Apple 27" screen looks nice too but it is not a wide-gamut monitor.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
I've yet to color profile our U2410 but sofar, it seems quite off compared to our Eizo's and NEC Spectraviews.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

chefwong said:
I've yet to color profile our U2410 but sofar, it seems quite off compared to our Eizo's and NEC Spectraviews.

Show off ! :p

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
ordered a couple of the U's due to pricepoint ...
so we'll see how it works after color profiling.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
So can everybody in this thread achieve the U2711's optimum 2560 x 1440 w/their cables of choice? I read online somewhere that the resolution drops if you aren't connected a certain way (details elude me).

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
You need a dual-link DVI cable or display port cable. It's not difficult at all. If you own a Mac Pro, you should be more than capable of figuring it out.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
The Dell's get good after a proper puck calibration. Awesome actually. .2 DeltaE averages. the 24" has no contrast ratio though (500:1 static). The 27 and 30 have around 900:1 after calibration

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
I just upgraded from a 27" iMac i7 to a 2010 MP so I'm 'in between' screens using an old 19" LCD (ug) until I can decide what to get. I've seen some used U2711's on eBay in the 600-700 range which is not bad. Having gotten so used to my 27" iMac, anything smaller with less resolution is just not going to cut it.
Seems like the U2711 is my best choice without moving to a 30"

I have thought about picking up the 27" Apple, but having dealt with the glare on the iMac, I'm ready for a matte screen.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
If you're going to spend $700 on a used screen, I would just pony up the remainder for a brand new warrantied screen. Don't be cheap. My edit suite is based around that monitor and it rocks.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
If you're going to spend $700 on a used screen, I would just pony up the remainder for a brand new warrantied screen. Don't be cheap. My edit suite is based around that monitor and it rocks.

True... if Dell does a good coupon which they do occasionally it could bring the $1100 price tag down close to that level as well.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Speaking of Dell Coupons... Here is a good one for $274.75 off...

N1?0TJMCF7$2VJ

May pull the trigger... but then there are a number of reputable sellers on eBay doing 860 shipped, revision A04 new sealed.
With the tax I'd have to pay Dell... better deal the ebay route.

Last edited:

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
I had it and returned it. The antiglare coating is horrible and makes whites look sparkly (I've used a 3008 in the past which looked horrible too). It seems that if you can't perceive the AG/it doesn't bother you, you love this monitor. If you *can* perceive it, its absolutely useless to you. Also, calibrating this thing is a bitch and a half because its wide gamut and claims to be sRGB but doesn't hit the sRGB colors right so you end up dancing between color modes until you find something that looks suitable.

I ended up getting the Apple 27", which for what its worth, uses the same panel but obviously a different controller and is glossy instead of matte.

100Years

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I had it and returned it. The antiglare coating is horrible and makes whites look sparkly (I've used a 3008 in the past which looked horrible too). It seems that if you can't perceive the AG/it doesn't bother you, you love this monitor. If you *can* perceive it, its absolutely useless to you. Also, calibrating this thing is a bitch and a half because its wide gamut and claims to be sRGB but doesn't hit the sRGB colors right so you end up dancing between color modes until you find something that looks suitable.

I ended up getting the Apple 27", which for what its worth, uses the same panel but obviously a different controller and is glossy instead of matte.
Just curious, are you any happier with the Apple display? Only reason I ask, is that I've been checking out some monitors myself, and was looking at the Dell & the Apple. One thing about the Apple though, it does not support HDCP does it?

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Just curious, are you any happier with the Apple display? Only reason I ask, is that I've been checking out some monitors myself, and was looking at the Dell & the Apple. One thing about the Apple though, it does not support HDCP does it?

I love the Apple 27". You plug it in and it looks proper, no dilly dallying for hours between sRGB, Adobe RGB, Standard, etc and still only locking in 2 of the 3 main colors as on the Dell (ie you'd get red and green good, but blues would be purple).

I can't 100% confirm HDCP as I don't buy TV/Movies from iTunes, but I'm pretty damn sure it does. Its using mini displayport which supports HDCP.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I have the Dell u2711. It was an upgrade from a Dell 2407. I'm very happy with it. It was a step up in quality as well as size because the 27" is an IPS panel and my 2407 was a S-PVA.

Compared to Apple's 27" panel (I have a 27" iMac), I would say that the Dell panel is a little easier on the eyes. Less glare and brightness levels are more adjustable.

The Apple display has a lot of wow to it. Very bright and colors pop. LED backlit so it has a very different look compared to CCFL lit displays. LEDs look warmer to me. It's a little too much though for my tastes. And I don't know about pairing it up next to a matte screen. Colors are going to be very different going from one to the other.

The u2711 goes on sale a lot. I paid $700 for it. Check slickdeals or fatwallet for good deals.

100Years

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I checked out those Apple LED displays, and I don't know how folks can use them. Sure, the image was very nice, but the reflections were absolutely horrid. I don't know, do people get used to the reflections?

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Some people do. Or are narcissists. Glossy monitors are best used in light-controlled environments, where reflections aren't that much of an issue. There is a 27" imac around where I live, the reflections are not that noticeable with how it's set up in the room.

I recently got an ACD 30" and I found out just how aggressive AG coating can be. I just got used to it - I got it for sheer real estate, not color accuracy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.