Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Hi,

Has anyone actually used this 32" 4K monitor with the new Mac Pro? I assume it will be OK but Anand's review worried me a little as the 24" model had issues (with MST and power management - both deal breakers).

I guess that as its technically the same panel as the Asus and Sharp it will work fine with MST but I am not sure about Power Management....

Thanks,

Neil

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
Dell has a good return policy. If it doesn't work return it.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I hate apple for not providing an updated tb display by now! I have a feeling many customers feel the same..

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
I hate apple for not providing an updated tb display by now! I have a feeling many customers feel the same..

An updated tb display certainly would have made for a smoother transition to the nMP! I'm not sure we will see this updated tb display anytime soon.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
An updated tb display certainly would have made for a smoother transition to the nMP! I'm not sure we will see this updated tb display anytime soon.

Me neither. I expect it not before July, more likely in autumn together with new iMacs..

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Not compatible currently, only works at 30Hz. It's likely that 10.9.2 will fix!

rwtnhy.png

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
Not compatible currently, only works at 30Hz. It's likely that 10.9.2 will fix!

What cable are you using to attach the display? You need a proper mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 with MST and 20Gbps support.

Assuming you have the above, did you enable MST mode on the monitor? 60Hz in 4K only comes via DisplayPort 1.2 running MST (dual stream) mode. On the Dell monitors, it has to be on the primary full-size DisplayPort connector.

I have the 24" Dell and have it working at 60Hz, with some glitching, and I'm hoping it's just the cable that will be swapped with another as soon as the FedEx truck arrives today.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*

Apple probably do too but they will not lower their standards shipping a product with an inferior panel and inadequate interface. When they get the right lcd specs and quantities one will be announced for sure!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
What cable are you using to attach the display? You need a proper mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 with MST and 20Gbps support.

DispalyPort doesn't have 20Gb/s support. It tops out at ~17Gb/s. That is enough for 4K 60Hz, but DisplayPort is not Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is the one with that 20Gb/s support.

It also isn't just the cable. Driver support is needed also. (although how far apart the Sharp/ASUS monitors are from this shouldn't be much, if at all, all a difference. )

On the Dell monitors, it has to be on the primary full-size DisplayPort connector.

Odd the manual doesn't mention the DisplayPort ports have asymmetric abilities.

I have the 24" Dell and have it working at 60Hz, with some glitching,

Working and glitching are mostly opposite states.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Apple probably do too but they will not lower their standards shipping a product with an inferior panel and inadequate interface.

There is no pressing need why the updated TB display docking needs a 4K panel. There are plenty of better panels around to do an update with. Likewise there is nothing particularly pressing about TB v1 either in the context of 2+ TB sockets on the host. The single TB port Mac models are stuck at TB v1 anyway.

When they get the right lcd specs and quantities one will be announced for sure!

They don't have a well implemented rendering support for the 4K monitors anyway. Mainly it is smaller text an icons.

For the most part Apple is out of the monitor business. They are more so in the docking station business. Folks primarily looking for monitors should not be surprised that 3rd parties are where the solutions largely are.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
DispalyPort doesn't have 20Gb/s support. It tops out at ~17Gb/s. That is enough for 4K 60Hz, but DisplayPort is not Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is the one with that 20Gb/s support.

I realize that, but the cables are advertised as 20Gb/s.. go figure.

It also isn't just the cable. Driver support is needed also. (although how far apart the Sharp/ASUS monitors are from this shouldn't be much, if at all, all a difference. )

The ASUS is just a re-badged version of the SHARP that Apple is offering from their own store. Both support dual steam mode for 60Hz. We have borrowed one of the ASUS monitors and have it connected to a new Mac Pro here. Dual stream (MST) mode on that display has sync issues with the secondary display stream.

I purchased the Dell 24" and after enabling MST, have similar results. Secondary stream shows sparkles, flickers, occasional drop-outs. Some drop-outs take out both sides of the display for a split second. I'm hoping it's a cable issue, however my new cables did not show up yesterday as I had hoped. Now it looks like a monday thing.

Anandtech reviewed the Dell 24" connected to the new Mac Pro and had similar, although seemingly a bit worse, results to what I have encountered. They also did not have the latest EFI update installed and it is unclear as to weather they were running the system under 10.9.1 or just 10.9 as the systems ship. There is also the 10.9.2 developer seed available and I have downloaded it, but not installed it yet. It supposedly has an updated Dx00 driver package that may address an issue or two here.

Odd the manual doesn't mention the DisplayPort ports have asymmetric abilities.

Which manual? I've used the SHARP PN-K321 in the past, however only on an HP workstation running Windows, and the DisplayPort stream settings are fully functional on both the monitor and PC in that situation. I don't have the ASUS manual to look at, just borrowed the monitor. I'm assuming it's in my Dell 24" manual, but have not looked, easy enough to find without looking at some manual I'll never read. I would *ASSUME* at potentially great risk that the 32" DELL, which seems to be based on the same panel and innards as the SHARP and ASUS displays, also supports dual stream MST mode. The Mac Pro manual, if you can even call it that, has nothing in it, I question its existence.

Apple has a few online support documents that deal with DisplayPort / Thunderbolt displays and 4K. Like this one here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6008

Working and glitching are mostly opposite states.

Indeed. And I expect to have it in working order in the near future. Perhaps with a cable swap, perhaps with an impending software update, or both.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
... There is also the 10.9.2 developer seed available and I have downloaded it, but not installed it yet. It supposedly has an updated Dx00 driver package that may address an issue or two here.

Kind of sad that given how spectacularly late the Mac Pro 2013 is that they still don't have the issues worked out. Smells like Apple only handed these specific Sharp monitors to folks in the beta process.

I understand Apple's "super ultra top secret" product development but once go to the WWDC keynote and hype have a three 4K monitor system, you'd think they would reach out to 4K monitor vendors and try to get their system working given there was another 5+ months till they were going to ship such system. Maybe, just maybe, they could work on the bugs during that time.

Which manual?

the topic of the thread. :) The UP3214Q:

http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/product/dell-up3214q

marcusadolfsson

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Following this thread with interest... I have the monitors, just waiting for my MacPro to ship in February.

What is the deal with the Apple article stating that a 3rd 4k monitor needs to be driven of the HDMI port? This would limit it to 30 Hz right?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5918
Three 4K displays: two connected via Mini DisplayPort and one connected via HDMI.

It would make sense if you could connect a monitor to Port 1 (Bus 1), Port 2 (Bus 2), and Port 5 (Bus 0)

HT5918-macpro-multipledisplay_ports-001-en.png

FYI the 2012 MacBook Retina can drive two 4k monitors at 30Hz...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    509.1 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_5987.jpg
    IMG_5987.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,421
Last edited:

Hussaineaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
I got three of these dell monitors and Mac Pro was delivered today..
I can have all three running at 30hz, I've connected them as they indicate in their user guide thing.
Problem is when I enable display port 1.2 on the monitors, the screen just goes fuzzy and looks like it's at something like 1080.
Not sure what to do...?
So frustrating when I've just spent around £15k on all of this setup!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I got three of these dell monitors and Mac Pro was delivered today..
I can have all three running at 30hz, I've connected them as they indicate in their user guide thing.
Problem is when I enable display port 1.2 on the monitors, the screen just goes fuzzy and looks like it's at something like 1080.
Not sure what to do...?
So frustrating when I've just spent around £15k on all of this setup!

As Anand says in his nMP review, the way displays handle MST is different from vendor to vendor. Apparently, at this time, Apple only supports the MST method adopted by Sharp and Asus.

I'm curious (regardless of this issue) why did you choose the Dell over the Sharp?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Kind of sad that given how spectacularly late the Mac Pro 2013 is that they still don't have the issues worked out. Smells like Apple only handed these specific Sharp monitors to folks in the beta process.

I understand Apple's "super ultra top secret" product development but once go to the WWDC keynote and hype have a three 4K monitor system, you'd think they would reach out to 4K monitor vendors and try to get their system working given there was another 5+ months till they were going to ship such system. Maybe, just maybe, they could work on the bugs during that time.

My suspicion is that they wanted the mac pro to be 4K capable due to its typically long replacement cycles.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
My suspicion is that they wanted the mac pro to be 4K capable due to its typically long replacement cycles.

If it only works for one panel from one vendor then it isn't particularly 4K capable (in the 60Hz space) no matter how "early" they released it.

I understand wanting to get on the 4K bandwagon. However, the reality is that the 4K bandwagon doesn't consist of one and only one monitor instance. If want to be on the bandwagon that means going out and working with the vendors filling that space.

A sales pitch of "Buy the 4K port now and we'll eventually flush out the driver support over the next couple years...maybe" ? That is a chuckle.
Being able to work with two vendors would be a demonstration they could walk and chew gum at the same time. Just one is indicative that they are in over their head.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
If it only works for one panel from one vendor then it isn't particularly 4K capable (in the 60Hz space) no matter how "early" they released it.

I understand wanting to get on the 4K bandwagon. However, the reality is that the 4K bandwagon doesn't consist of one and only one monitor instance. If want to be on the bandwagon that means going out and working with the vendors filling that space.

A sales pitch of "Buy the 4K port now and we'll eventually flush out the driver support over the next couple years...maybe" ? That is a chuckle.
Being able to work with two vendors would be a demonstration they could walk and chew gum at the same time. Just one is indicative that they are in over their head.
It works with Sharp and the Asus. That is two vendors.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It works with Sharp and the Asus. That is two vendors.

Same hardware. Different badges on the front case (very marginally different stands attached). ASUS is just rebadged monitor that Sharp is selling. [ Not sure if ASUS makes it for them and that's part of payment or Sharp is doing some contract manufactoring but other than some purely cosmetic differences it is the same thing. ]. Same speakers, ports , etc.

Works on rebadged hardware isn't particularly significant. It would be utterly and completely embarrassing if it didn't.

"... So far we've seen only a couple of mainstream models emerge with 4k resolution support, most notably the 31.5" sized Sharp PN-K321 and Asus PQ321Q models. Both were based on a new panel technology from Sharp called IGZO, .... Dell have now released their competing model into the market, the 31.5" UP3214Q. This model is also based on an IGZO technology panel from Sharp, but actually offers some additional features and extras compared with the earlier models. ... "
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_up3214q.htm

Sharp

PNK321.ashx

https://www.sharpusa.com/ForBusiness/PresentationProducts/ProfessionalLCDMonitors/PNK321.aspx

ASUS

P_500.jpg

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PQ321Q

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.