Dell up3216q +2015 15" Retina MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BlueBubba, Jun 6, 2016.

1. BlueBubba macrumors member

Hello could anybody tell me if the Dell up3216q will display 4k @60hz using the 2015 15" Retina MBP, I've searched everywhere and the Apple answer is a bit vague. Is the dell SST or MST?

I know the p2715q will work.
    Thanks, any help appreciated before I drop £800.

2. BlueBubba thread starter macrumors member

If somebody has any info it would help. I need to make a decision on which monitor too buy in the next couple if days. Would really like the 32" Dell, but only if somebody has it working. Thanks.

3. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

It should work fine. Even if DP does not work you can just buy a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter (make sure it is an active one).

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

it will work, but it will not run at 60Hz, only 50Hz.

5. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I have the 2015 MBP and it can drive a HDMI 2.0 display at 4k60 with the Club3D adapter. Unless you know of some specific issue with this pairing I don't see why it will not do 4k60.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

from below post and its not even a true 4K display. maybe it has to do with the monitor itself.

7. BlueBubba, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

BlueBubba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. If it helps anybody else thinking of purchasing this display: I received the UP3216Q today and it works out of the box with the supplied DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable. 4K @ 60Hz. Looks amazing, I'm over the moon.

8. iBrooker macrumors 6502

Can you use it with the scaling modes? Or are you running it in native?

Could you post some pics or a video please? I'm interested in getting this display :D

9. Flaxh macrumors member

Flaxh

10. Ryan0751 macrumors regular

I just got my UP3216Q this evening. As I mentioned earlier, I'm going from two Dell P2715Q's to a single monitor plus the laptop display.

This new monitor is GORGEOUS. It's HUGE. The difference between 27" and 31.5" is massive on my desk. I really don't think I'll miss the screen real estate of the two 27's... I think I used to waste a lot of that screen real estate anyways by making apps full screen that just added a bunch of white space.

With regards to the scaling modes, I can run in 4K with no scaling. It's usable, but too small for my 40-something eyes. I am running between the "looks like" 2550x1440 and the no-scaling, and it's just right.

I was concerned that by decreasing the PPI from 4K at 27" to 4K at 31.5" it would mean I would see pixels, but that was unfounded. I really have to get about 6" away from the screen to start to faintly make out pixels, and even then, it looks smooth and great.

I honestly think 5K at 27" is kind of silly after seeing the UP3216Q. They should be making bigger 5K panels!
    Other niceties of this monitor are the built-in USB hub, and there's a convenient card reader in the side of the monitor. It has plenty of connections to run into multiple machines, which is great. Works with Mac and my Surface Book.

I have yet to calibrate it, but it looks amazing out of the box.

I'm very happy with it and glad I bypassed the LG 5K offering, at least for this time around. The LG would have meant I could only use it with the Mac (or maybe new PC's to come that I don't yet own), and to call it "the ultimate dock" is ridiculous. It's a powered USB-C hub - you would need a bunch of dongles hanging off the back of it to be useful. Actually, it only has 3 ports (not including the one to the computer). USB 3.1 adapter, thunderbolt adapter, ethernet adapter... and then you are out of ports anyway.

So, I can highly recommend this Dell so far!