Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Is it me, or am I oblivious to something- I saw earlier in the week about stock pictures being for sale and I'm aware windows has a desktop that uses a similar background to apple, however, this genuinely looks like apple to me. thoughts?

Attachments

• XPSSAP.jpg
    XPSSAP.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 3,701
  • Inspiron_9100.jpg
    Inspiron_9100.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 3,718

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
followup

ok, so they aren't, but id hate windows even more if they did

Attachments

• productshotibook_1003.jpg
    productshotibook_1003.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 173

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
They always say that emulation is the sincerest form of flattery. Dell would go out of business if they didn't. We just need to make sure that they don't cross the line.

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
wdlove said:
They always say that emulation is the sincerest form of flattery. Dell would go out of business if they didn't. We just need to make sure that they don't cross the line.
are emulation and imitation the same thing? sorry to nitpick :eek: .

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
Savage Henry said:
Dell Copies Apple

Further news tonight:

A stunned Vatican crowd discover the Pope is Catholic and has been for some time now.

Man bitten by dog tells us "well I never heard of no dog biting no man..."

i have to say, that was an awesome post. bravo.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
hm red hat uses _exactly_ the same background as apple uses so they are ripping of too
mandrake has some blue one liek those dells too
btw:most desktop backgrounds are blue ;)

black for me all the way ;-)

MatMistake

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
takao said:
btw:most desktop backgrounds are blue ;)

black for me all the way ;-)

:confused: I just read that and forgot what colour my desktop was, and as I'm stuck using wndows its not constantly there peaking out between all the various ap windows
mines that nice flat shade of blue thats defualt on windows (once you remove the horrid defualt picture thay put there). I used to have it really dark gray, but changed it for some reason

the macs I use at collage have a really dull flat gray background, and thay are still using os9 :(
apart from one, where the colour on the moniter is so off its all pink :eek:

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
MatMistake said:
:the macs I use at collage have a really dull flat gray background, and thay are still using os9

Are they specifically for graphic design? Good designers set their desktop backgrounds to middle gray so that color perception is not skewed.

MatMistake

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
Daveman Deluxe said:
Are they specifically for graphic design? Good designers set their desktop backgrounds to middle gray so that color perception is not skewed.

yes, thay are for graphics, but its not a middle gray, and it has some hidiously coloured writing on it, something along the lines of 'these computers are for educational use only, playing games will result in strict displenary action' and somethina about not eating or drinking in the room

the macs are all set up by the IT staff who reside on the other side of the collage, and probably only ever see the macs once a year, thay wouldn't know a thing about grapics design. The teachers have no imput in to how the macs are set up. one teacher tryed to get them to run a program to try and get atleast semi-decent colour matching on the (cheep horrid LCD) moniters, and thay refused as the virus scanner thay had thought it was a virus.

a while ago we did this one day project where we had to make a short film, in the end it became a two day project as it took so long to get the IT guys to give students permission to use imovie :rolleyes:

that was an enjoyable little rant....

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
MatMistake said:
:confused: I just read that and forgot what colour my desktop was, and as I'm stuck using wndows its not constantly there peaking out between all the various ap windows

well im windows user too (yeah i know but this computer runs and i can't buy mac just because i like one now i'll have to wait till this one gets too slow/old)
i actually only look at my desktop when i start up some programs or other applications (i don't use the start menu really) most of the time i use my icons in the quicklaunch bar (10 icons)
in linux i look more often at my background (somebody knows the "KDE Kraftwurm" ? you can get it at http://www.rsise.anu.edu.au/~fergus/wallpaper/kde/) when im using transparent konsole etc.
but in windows i use msot of the time full screen ..in only have a 1024x786 crt sadly enough ..

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
MatMistake said:
the macs I use at collage have a really dull flat gray background, and thay are still using os9 :(
apart from one, where the colour on the moniter is so off its all pink :eek:

You are in COLLEGE, not COLLAGE. I can't believe people in college can still spell basic words incorrectly. :confused:

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
takao said:
well im windows user too (yeah i know but this computer runs and i can't buy mac just because i like one now i'll have to wait till this one gets too slow/old)
i actually only look at my desktop when i start up some programs or other applications (i don't use the start menu really) most of the time i use my icons in the quicklaunch bar (10 icons)
in linux i look more often at my background (somebody knows the "KDE Kraftwurm" ? you can get it at http://www.rsise.anu.edu.au/~fergus/wallpaper/kde/) when im using transparent konsole etc.
but in windows i use msot of the time full screen ..in only have a 1024x786 crt sadly enough ..

HOLY FREAKIN' STREAM OF THOUGHT!!!! What the H are you trying to say?

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
HAHA

nuclearwinter said:
HOLY FREAKIN' STREAM OF THOUGHT!!!! What the H are you trying to say?

holy rusted metal batman!

seems like the influx of user-friendiness has converged into the secter of writing. I am sorry for you, you poor windows user you. switch to a Apple, your grammer will improve dramatically, and your stress level will drop.
;-)
AK

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
MatMistake said:
macs are set up by the IT staff who probably only ever see the macs once a year

you're right - they see macs once a year just to check that they are ok. they see windows pc's daily just to fix them ;)

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
JFreak said:
you're right - they see macs once a year just to check that they are ok. they see windows pc's daily just to fix them ;)

IT Guy: "Yep, looks like that G4 is still on..." *looks down at beeper* "Oh, lovely..."

:D

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Not true

Daveman Deluxe said:

I consider myself a good designer and I don't use the middle gray color I think is boring and uncreative here a pict of my desktop...

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 268

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
nuclearwinter said:
You are in COLLEGE, not COLLAGE. I can't believe people in college can still spell basic words incorrectly. :confused:

becuse lord nos konw one on this bored evar misspellz anything write?

I'm about to graduate and I misspell or misstype all the time. If I am writing a term paper I'll go back and proof read, but for the internet unless I'm trying to make some sort of salient argument that I want taken very seriously (usually the politcal forum, yes I know lost cause but I'm an optimist) then i watch my spelling. Otherwise, meh.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Wash!! said:
I use a lot of applications at the same time :D long live os X

I'm sure you probably know this already - I can't quite make out enough detail to tell for certain on your desktop picture - but you could always put a number of those application icons into a folder, then drag the folder onto the dock (right side) and right-click (or control-click for you purists out there) to get at them. That might reduce your dock size, if you care.

Also, and similarly, dragging your Applications folder (and, for many, the Utilities folder within Applications) to your dock lets you have quick and easy access to all your applications, again by right/control clicking.

Again, odds are that you and everyone reading this already knew that, but it's a nice tip (read elsewhere a long time ago) that might help those who don't already know.

A bit off-topic, perhap....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.