Dell Venue 11 Pro (entry-level Intel Atom-powered)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Throw Out, May 19, 2014.

1. Throw Out macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

I need your help,

So I recently sold my laptop (Alienware M11x R3) because I no longer game, or use half of its power. For me, it was a over haul. The weight of it was also a problem because I carry it with me everyday to school.

Therefore, im now in the market for something new. Essentially, a tablet. I'm pretty sure I can pass by school with a tablet and when ever I actually need a computer I'll just take the office laptop home.

But after searching for a while, I found out about the Dell Venue 11 Pro (Atom edition), and I'm quite curious about this guy.

Does anyone have one? I would love for advice,

Is it heavy? How does windows run on it? Any lags, stutters?

Can I watch full hd movies without any problems?

Thanks again!

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I have one, its an awesome tablet. The only complaint I have is the synaptics digitizer is nowhere near as good as a wacom one, but its serviceable. I got mine refurb with full warranty from Dell for about $275. I think I saw a coupon today for 20% off the outlet so you can probably find one for around $300.

For gaming I'm pleasantly surprised. The elder scrolls online runs nicely on it, tomb raider and other high end games also run surprisingly well but at low settings. Windows runs very nicely, no hint of stuttering at all on it. Full HD movies are not a problem.

3. Throw Out thread starter macrumors regular

Great, now I definitely want one haha... I'm hoping a family member can bring me one from the USA. the price here in Brasil is way off.

thanks again

4. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I bought the Venue 11 couple weeks ago. It is a great tablet. It’s about the weight of an iPad 3 at 1.5lbs. I also bought the mobile keyboard for it which brings it to 3lbs total. The keyboard contains a second battery that gives it an extra 50% of runtime. The tablet itself I get about 8-9hrs, so easily 12hrs with the keyboard. This keyboard is an actual keyboard, with very good key travel. The touchpad supports Windows 8’s multi-touch gestures. It works quite well despite the small size.

I actually returned the i5 version and bought the Atom version instead. The i5 had obnoxious fan noise, and randomly drained the battery completely on sleep. You know the funny thing is the Atom actually scored higher in the standard Windows performance index than the i5 - 6.8 vs 6.6. I highly recommend the Atom over the i5, unless you plan to do video editing on something on it, or want 128GB storage and/or 4GB of RAM. The 2GB RAM in the Atom version runs perfectly fine.

I haven’t tried the same on the Venue 11, but I had a Venue 8 Pro before I bought the 11. I was able to play a 1080p MKV to my TV via Miracast, while on the tablet itself playing a game and a command prompt listing all files on the drive at the same time. Not even a hiccup. The V8P has lower spec than the 11 (Z3740D vs Z3770), so the V11P will do even better.

5. Throw Out thread starter macrumors regular