Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Any thoughts on this tablet? It runs Windows 8.1 and it's not RT.

I just ordered one from Walmart. It's gotten good reviews both on the hardware and software side. I own iPad's and Android tablets but not a Windows based tablet. Whenever I try one at Best Buy I always leave with a good impression.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Any thoughts on this tablet? It runs Windows 8.1 and it's not RT.

I just ordered one from Walmart. It's gotten good reviews both on the hardware and software side. I own iPad's and Android tablets but not a Windows based tablet. Whenever I try one at Best Buy I always leave with a good impression.

It sounds nice, but I've always wondered why somebody would need full Windows on an 8" device. I've heard it also runs fairly well.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It sounds nice, but I've always wondered why somebody would need full Windows on an 8" device. I've heard it also runs fairly well.

As much as I usually disagree with you, windows 8 on a 8" device is a little tough in desktop mode. It's usable, but I question why in all honesty. Much of the fault is with MS though as they are being completely lazy in their scaling, windows should scale much better than it does. This limits how high of a resolution windows tablets can go up IMO.

As for the tablet, I had one and it runs VERY nicely. Worst case you run it only in Metro mode. The one thing I LOVED about it is you could run Bluestacks, which is an awesome Android emulator. Run that in full screen and you basically have an Android tablet, it ran games and everything. I would have kept it if it had cellular, and when the cellular version comes out I'll probably buy it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
As much as I usually disagree with you, windows 8 on a 8" device is a little tough in desktop mode. It's usable, but I question why in all honesty. Much of the fault is with MS though as they are being completely lazy in their scaling, windows should scale much better than it does. This limits how high of a resolution windows tablets can go up IMO.

As for the tablet, I had one and it runs VERY nicely. Worst case you run it only in Metro mode. The one thing I LOVED about it is you could run Bluestacks, which is an awesome Android emulator. Run that in full screen and you basically have an Android tablet, it ran games and everything. I would have kept it if it had cellular, and when the cellular version comes out I'll probably buy it.

I hadn't thought of that.

And I've never been able to really disagree with you that an atom tablet can do anything in Metro.

This would be a good possible replacement for the original iPad Mini, I would think.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I hadn't thought of that.

And I've never been able to really disagree with you that an atom tablet can do anything in Metro.

This would be a good possible replacement for the original iPad Mini, I would think.

That's what I was thinking of doing was running it in Metro and thanks to Worst Buy screwing up my Black Friday iPad mini order I was falling back to this.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's what I was thinking of doing was running it in Metro and thanks to Worst Buy screwing up my Black Friday iPad mini order I was falling back to this.

Then it should work fantastically.

I will warn you, though, the resolution isn't retina. It's 1280x800, which is slightly above 720p resolution. That means you won't be watching your 1080p videos on it.

That being said, VLC should be coming out for the Metro UI soon.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Then it should work fantastically.

I will warn you, though, the resolution isn't retina. It's 1280x800, which is slightly above 720p resolution. That means you won't be watching your 1080p videos on it.

That being said, VLC should be coming out for the Metro UI soon.

No problem on the resolution as the iPad mini I was supposed to get from Worst Buy was the 1st gen model so the Venue is a slight step up.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have it and like it but when I found out Microsoft stores were selling the Asus T100TA for $299 with keyboard, full windows 8.1, and 64kb, I am more interested now in it to tell the truth.

The extra $100 would be worth it for me, I rather have something I can use the desktop mode as well comfortably and with full Windows if I going to spend on the OS. The Asus would hold up in the longer run for me instead of waiting to get something else in the nearer term if I was to hold unto the Dell.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No problem on the resolution as the iPad mini I was supposed to get from Worst Buy was the 1st gen model so the Venue is a slight step up.

Then yes, this should be a great mini tablet for you. There might not be the applications available, but as a Media Content Device (which I assume 8" tablets are) it would be second to few. With the upcoming VLC release, like I said, that expands the codecs for videos significantly. It supposedly gets a huge amount of battery life, but I'm not sure about that. Never used one.

As a guy who has used a Windows RT, and who loves it, there isn't a huge downside to going full Modern UI. I think you'll enjoy the tablet.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I bought it last week when wal-mart had it for like 229. Get 10% discount and cashback so it was like 220. It's pretty decent but i have a couple gripes with it.

1) using the full windows desktop, the touch accuracy is pretty annoying sometimes. I'm sure if I use a stylus or something it'll be better but it takes a couple tries for it to register.
2) It doesn't power external hard drives. Not sure how it couldn't but it's a bit of a bummer.

I do like it because it pretty much suits my needs for ebook reading and sheet music. It's also nice that I can play/stream xbmc full BDISOs and 1080p hi10p without any hiccups. It's also like half the price of an ipad air so can't really complain lol. The windows 8 store seems pretty limited from what i've seen but it does everything I want to for now so I'm happy.

I was thinking about returning it and getting an ipad air but I missed the black friday deals so I might as well stick with it.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thanks for all the opinions. The ASUS as nice as it sounds isn't a big pull for me tbh. I prefer using my tablets the way they were meant to be, touch. But the ASUS does sound nice and the previous poster got a sweet deal for $200.

I paid $269 plus tax but was able to bump it down by $20 because I used my AMEX card and got $20 reward for buying from Walmart.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

You will find that the entire retina display thing is just marketing. MS has their clear type technology so even zooming in all the way you wont see jaggies on text. Video looks just as good IMO.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
You will find that the entire retina display thing is just marketing. MS has their clear type technology so even zooming in all the way you wont see jaggies on text. Video looks just as good IMO.

I love my iPad 3 and the higher resolution makes everything look really nice. It's good to read that MS has the equivalent to counter the jaggies issue.

The main reason I considered the Venue 8 Pro was so I can just use it for the Live Tiles. Even on occasion if I have to use IE and the touches are nt 100% accurate it's no real biggie.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I love my iPad 3 and the higher resolution makes everything look really nice. It's good to read that MS has the equivalent to counter the jaggies issue.

The main reason I considered the Venue 8 Pro was so I can just use it for the Live Tiles. Even on occasion if I have to use IE and the touches are nt 100% accurate it's no real biggie.

Walmart has no extended holiday return period from what I know when it comes to electronics. Mine needs to go back soon therefore.

No hassle with returns has been my experience, you can count on that if you find that you don't care for it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Walmart has no extended holiday return period from what I know when it comes to electronics. Mine needs to go back soon therefore.

No hassle with returns has been my experience, you can count on that if you find that you don't care for it.

Ooh thanks for mentioning that. Are you sure there is no grace period for Holiday purchases, cause every retailer offers extended returns including Amazon and Worst Buy?

EDIT: I found this on Walmarts Return Page:

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/203
Walmart's Holiday Returns Policy

If you bought an item between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24, 2013 that has a normal return policy of 15 or 30 days, we extended the time you had to make a return by starting to count those days on Dec. 26, 2013.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I just got an e-mail from Microsoft Store that the Venue 8 Pro will be a $99 doorbuster on Monday 12/9. 10 available per store.

Tempting. Really.

B

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I just got an e-mail from Microsoft Store that the Venue 8 Pro will be a $99 doorbuster on Monday 12/9. 10 available per store.

Tempting. Really.

B

So did I but the closest MS store for me is Tampa. Not worth the drive for the risk. If I read it correctly it's $99 in store (20 per store) and $199 online while supplies last.

I'll return my Walmart tablet after I get my $20 AMEX rewards credit and order it from MS if they are available.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
$99 that's crazy

In store only. It's a good risk if a MS Store is close by. It's 2 hours to Tampa from where I live. Not worth the chance that all 20 tablets will be sold by the time I get there.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Ooh thanks for mentioning that. Are you sure there is no grace period for Holiday purchases, cause every retailer offers extended returns including Amazon and Worst Buy?

EDIT: I found this on Walmarts Return Page:

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/203
Walmart's Holiday Returns Policy

If you bought an item between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24, 2013 that has a normal return policy of 15 or 30 days, we extended the time you had to make a return by starting to count those days on Dec. 26, 2013.

Not surprised the clerks who work the electronic's department at my local stores don't know that, guess I should have followed up on it. Now I'll have more time with it.

The nearest MS store to me is about 15 miles. Anyone know what would stop employees at their stores from scarfing these up on the 9th?

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
In store only. It's a good risk if a MS Store is close by. It's 2 hours to Tampa from where I live. Not worth the chance that all 20 tablets will be sold by the time I get there.

Are you sure it's instore only? The Email reads door buster but then mentions that it's available at that price in Microsoft retail stores and online stores ATT the $99 price, and separately for the $199 price.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Are you sure it's instore only? The Email reads door buster but then mentions that it's available at that price in Microsoft retail stores and online stores ATT the $99 price, and separately for the $199 price.

The email I got seems to indicate two prices.

$99 for in store B&M (20 p/s)

$199 via Microsoft Online Store (while supplies last)

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I pickled one up over the thanksgiving weekend and it's an amazing deal. While tie screen isn't retina its very high quality and with cleartype I can easily use it as an e-reader. It's FAR better than an ipad mini for half the price and runs a real OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.