Dell Vs Apple Vs Sony

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smgkw, May 30, 2008.

1. Smgkw macrumors member

I was planning to buy a MBP 17" ful spec, till my brother told me to check out the Sony Vaio... After that i thought of checking the Dells. Now I am having second thoughts, the prices are almost the same. But their specs seem to outperform the apple. Even considering apples sleek design, the dell still makes me think.

I need your help guys, because I want an mbp, I just want to know why its the right choice. I am still not a convert, but I am willing and able, please help me convert.

2. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Without knowing what specific models from Dell/Sony you're looking at, its hard to say. Here's my unbiased opinion though (ie I don't believe Apple is flawless).

What you're going to be using the laptop for will ultimately make the decision. If you're going to be using the laptop for gaming, then go with the Dell or Sony for sure. Even though you can use windows on your MBP for gaming, why pay a premium for Apple when you're going to be mainly using Windows?

If you're going to be doing anything "science-y", note that Excel 2008 for mac is a shadow of what is available for PC.

That being said, I made the switch 2 years ago to a macbook and haven't looked back. The operating system is so much more intuitive than Windows. There's tight integration between all the software, and the service for any hardware issues is spot on.

If you can say what you're going to be using the computer for, I'll be able to tell you which would be better.

(And just to let you know, I've known 2 people with sony viaos, and both have had nothing but problems with hardware failing.

3. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

the specs seem to be higher, and they might outperform it with the hardware. But where apples really shine is the software. after a week or two of use a windows machine becomes bloated and slows down. OS X doesn't have this happen, and will retain the same performance while you have it. Please don't get the Dell or Sony over the Apple, you will think you are happy, but that is only because you won't know what you are missing.:apple:

4. Smgkw thread starter macrumors member

well sony has the VAIO® AR Series ..which burns and reads blueray... even ignoring the blue ray feature, the Vaio specs seem to surpass the apple

And Dell has the XPSTM M2010 and the XPSTM M1730...

I want a laptop because my computer needs an upgrade, its a 4year old dell XPS.... So i thought the portability factor would be a great plus.

I use the computer for occasionally play vid games all types, i watch a lot of shows and series on the computer.. photoshop or i dont mind switching to apeture... if i do get an apple id love to use the programs they have like final cut and garage band time capsul... I surf the net, open lotsa windows...that is basically wat i need the laptop for.

But in the end I am looking to buy a laptop that I would feel good about, in a way to confirm that my money was well spent.

5. steeler macrumors regular

When I decided it was time for a personal laptop, I looked carefully at what was available, just as you have. I had it narrowed down to IBM (Lenovo), Dell, and Apple (back in the G4 PPC days).

I had used HP, IBM, and Dell laptops through work, so I was familiar with them. I tried out a Powerbook at the Apple store, and decided to switch. I am SO happy I converted. My wife took a little longer to warm up to the Mac, but I don't think I could switch her back to a Windows machine (not that I want to).

I have a personal bias against Sony (won't buy their computers, tvs, dvd players, etc.), so I won't comment on their laptops. However, the Powerbook and now Macbook Pro are a thousand times better than any Windows laptop I've ever used. It's just a pleasure to use the Mac -- I don't mean to over-use the "macs are easy" mindset, but they are. I work all day on a Windows laptop, but look forward to coming home to my Powerbook and Macbook Pro.

It will take some time to convert, but if you're willing, I think you will like the Apple. I won't buy or build a Windows desktop or laptop for myself ever again -- unless it can do something that an Apple can't.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

This is my post from the recent Apple Mac vs. Apple PC thread. Keep in mind that you might overlook small details in both systems which would make the prices much more comparable.

Without knowing which Dell you are looking at I can't offer any comparison. The following will have to do.

7. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Get the MBP if you are okay with converting. Otherwise, get the Vaio AR if you still want a PC, but do not get a Dell since they are junk!

8. mejia67 macrumors newbie

I vote for Apple, I just switched over from PC 3 weeks ago and I love It !!!!!

9. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

I've always been iffy about Dells (but I know that's not a very strong argument). With the vaio based against the MBP, you'd have to understand that the only real difference that you're paying for in a MBP is OS X and the software that comes with it (audio, video, photo editing). I'm not going to bash Vista since it is a very respectable OS (it really is, after the initial crapfest of its launch).

If you just plan to game, there's really no question, get the vaio, but keep in mind, it would be MUCH more cost effective to buy a very decent laptop (at about 1000$) and buy a much better specced desktop for around 1000$ and pocket the savings. There's almost no reason to game on a laptop (if that is the MAIN reason you've bought the laptop).

Conclusion, if you're a student or professional with specific needs, get the high end MBP. If not, but you still want a MBP, get the low end 15" and use the savings to buy a desktop to game.

10. drs68 macrumors member

drs68

I'm not sure if you have made your decision yet but if not I would like to help you...if so this is to help those others using these posts for reference. First of all, I would like to say that both Windows and Macintosh operating systems are wonderful and each has their strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I live in a very Windows-oriented area and, although I have debated getting a Mac, I have not, but have plenty of experience using them to know what I am talking about. I have a Sony Vaio FW and it is very unique, as it has a magnesium alloy casing, chiclet keys, and a 16.4 inch widescreen. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium, which I might add has really improved in Service Pack 1. If I were to recommend a notebook to you I would probably recommend a Sony. They are a little overpriced because of the premium branding but really so is an Apple computer. As far as Macbooks go, I would definitely recommend one, especially since their entire case has been beautifully redesigned. However, you must realize that not all things may be compatible with Macs and not all software is available with their OS. However, compatibility has come a long way and any average user should be okay... if not you can always dual boot or run Windows in a virtual machine, but make sure you know that it costs. I would tell you flat out not to purchase a Dell laptop as they are usually a bad combination of different hardware components from different manufacturers. I had to send back two Dell Studio 15 laptops because of the faulty fingerprint scanner. I got a refund. :) If you were to decide to go with a desktop I will say that the Dell Inspiron line is very good, but I believe the Apple iMac is currently best in class by far. So I hope I have made your decision somewhat easier or at least someones decision.

11. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Please break up text into paragraphs for the sake of all involved.

12. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not,

get the dell. or the sony. get the macbook pro.
    17 inch u said? wait till after macworld to see if they refresh it.

13. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Believe it or not, you're paying Apple's premium to guarantee much better life expectancy of the computer.

PCs are wonderful with Windows. I have used it for all the years I have owned computers. I am even using it now. No major problems. The only thing I see with it is the bloated OS, and begins to slow down over time. There's always that funny feeling in mind too that one day, a trojan or spyware will find its way here. I am very careful with Windows, and not clumsy using it.

The safety with Mac is that attackers don't even bother because it's not the big hit on the computer market. Leopard comes with integrated software, not advertisements or bloated trials. It's just simple, and effective.

I don't bang on Windows or PCs, I am actually going to build a custom music recording rig in September, because no Mac I know of can record with things I will be using (PCI Express). With cheaper i7 coming for it, I can game all on it too. It feels most comfortable that way on a huge flatscreen and at a desk, not cramped on my lap.

So there you have it. Macs are amazing beasts when it comes to productivity. PCs are for the gaming. Personally, despite the bangs on the MB (screen, specs for price, etc), I will be buying one in June after the next refresh. Then comes the custom build.

What you pay for is what you get. Macs dominate because of its consideration and care in the product. PCs... well, build it yourself! :)

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The Mac is a Mac and windblows, the others are just windblows. Get your virus software started if your thinking of the other two.

15. akbc macrumors 6502

Sony? Yes.

Apple? Hell yes!

HP? No.

Dell? HELL NO.

Vaio has evolved from a ****** ass computer brand into a very well-built and innovative PC brand.

There are only a few brands I'd buy in PC Laptop, and those would be Lenovo, Sony and Fujitsu. Other than those, big nono.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Very true. My MBP went the longest I've ever gone without a repair. However, it's also the only computer that I could not use at all within the first year and a half of ownership, and Applecare is a joke

Actually, most Dell's these days are relativity clean, at least on the business end.

17. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Sony Vaio's, upon personal experience, have tons of it. XD