Dell vs LG Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Apr 14, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm in the market for a bit bigger monitor. I have a 19" Viewsonic which I am pleases quality wise, but doing research papers and the like I often need to have lots of documents open at once and also have multiple Word windows open. So a bit bigger monitor that would allow me to have a couple windows open side by side would be great.

I was intially thinking the Dell 20" one:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-5123

It is routinely on sale (as it is now) for under $300, and looks pretty good for the money.

But I saw this one online at Futureshop.ca

http://ca.lge.com/en/prodmodeldetai...-BN/L246WPFrontLarge.jpg&model=Select+a+model

for the same price (actually $279.99). I looks to have everything the Dell one has only with an increased contrast ratio (2000:1 vs 800:1)

The dell one to me is bettering look although the LG might go better when/if I decide to spring for the MBP :D

The LG one also has the benefit of being in store so I can simply return it if I don't like it, I can pick it up right away, return it for dead pixels etc. but the Dell's seem to have a solid reputation here on MR so I dunno....

Any advice? Any LG owners?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well LG actually makes the panels that are used in a lot of displays, including some Dells and Apples. So their display panels are of high quality. I'm a Dell monitor fan, but that LG looks pretty good; the 2000:1 contrast ratio is very impressive. I've never seen one that high on a desktop LCD. Since it's easily returnable, I say go for it.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I believe you will find that the 2000:1 is done with software not hardware so I don't know if you will want to use that as the basis for getting it over the Dell.

4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ Yeah I just read a review for the LG and it said that it inflates the contrast ratio due to the DLG system or something.

Still though, I have read some good things about it. Most says its not the best monitor out there, but the price makes it one of the better choices. I worry about ordering a Dell, mainly due to two things: 1) Dead pixels - I ALWAYS get them and they drive me insane. 2) I have never seen it before. At least in the store I can get them to let me use a pc with it to see how it looks and such.

Hm...I dunno.