DELL W2600 26" TV

yoak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´ve been browsing around, looking for a monitor to go with my ibook when I saw this TV that can double as a monitor.
Any reason this will be a bad idea?

_DsK_

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
London (West), England
Only bad thing i can see is that the higest resolution youd have to use would be 1280 x 768 (WXGA), which wont really give you much desktop space to play with.

Comment

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's got a 1280 x 768 resolution which may be a bit blotchy for computer usage, but otherwise it'd probably be a cool buy. Having said that, the iBook's GPU will thank you for not hooking it up with some pixel-ridden monster.

Oh, by the way, you know the iBook doesn't natively support screen spanning (without a hack) so you'll only be mirroring at native iBook resolution (1024 x 768). This also could look a little funny since it's not the Dell's native resolution. Get the hack so you can display a higher resolution. :)

Comment

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'd just get a regular lcd which is cheaper and higher resolution and just get a digital box with svideo output.

Comment

yoak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Thank´s guys.
Yes I´m aware of the mirroring issue, and would get the hack if i bought a screen.

Thing is I do need a new TV more than I need a monitor, and I first thought of getting a monitor and then hook it up with EyeTV to my ibook, what is the better solution you think?

Comment

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you get a good monitor (one with more pixels per square inch at least), using the EyeTV route may not be beneficial since the Mac will have a lot of its resources being used up to play relatively small images. I'd try to check out a real Dell TV just to see what it's like and whether you could use something so big as a second monitor before deciding.

Comment

yoak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Thanks again, but where would I find a Dell TV to play with?
(Not expecting you to help me with this one ;) )

Comment

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
you are better off buying separate monitors and computers. i have a samsung 23" LCD HDTV, and even with a hack it's not suited for computing. i don't think the Dell would be any different.

Comment

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
yoak said:
Thank´s guys.
Yes I´m aware of the mirroring issue, and would get the hack if i bought a screen.

Thing is I do need a new TV more than I need a monitor, and I first thought of getting a monitor and then hook it up with EyeTV to my ibook, what is the better solution you think?
That's just going to be a pain, messy, cables, have to boot the iBook everytime you want to watch TV, plug it to the eTV, the monitor etc

Unfortunalty there isn't anything that is a good TV and a good monitor at the same time.

Comment

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
javiercr said:
That's just going to be a pain, messy, cables, have to boot the iBook everytime you want to watch TV, plug it to the eTV, the monitor etc

Unfortunalty there isn't anything that is a good TV and a good monitor at the same time.
How about the Dell 2001FPW/2001FP/2405FPW? They have component/composite/S-Video inputs so you can plug in a cable box. Works great as a TV.

Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Dell TVs suck as TVs...I can't imagine they'd be any good as monitors. Don't let Dell's great LCD monitor line fool you into thinking the TVs are anything but crap.

Comment

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
yoak said:
Thank´s guys.

useing an eye tv is a pain in the ass, you want a dedicated tv tuner so say if someone comes over you dont have to have your ibook out of action if they want to watch tv.

Comment

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
what is the price forr the 26" TV? I wonder if you could get the 24" LCD monitor for much more, which (although I don't have one) seems to be a pretty good one.

Comment

yoak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
The 2405 is about $100 more than the TV here in Norway, it´s a 30% discount at the TV at the moment

Comment

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
yoak said:
The 2405 is about $100 more than the TV here in Norway, it´s a 30% discount at the TV at the moment
The choice is up to you. If you what it more as a tv go ahead. If not consider just a monitor. Tough choices i know, but when you finally bring something home you will be happy. Just make sure you try before buying it, because you seem not to have an idea on the quality of the image.

Comment

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
yoak said:
the 2405 is also 1920x1200 and the tv tuner thats in the tv will be defunct in a few years time, but you can input HD tv into the DVI port.

Comment

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Hector said:
the 2405 is also 1920x1200 and the tv tuner thats in the tv will be defunct in a few years time, but you can input HD tv into the DVI port.
How good is the quality of the screen for tv? Just curious as if it could replace a tv.

Comment

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Hector said:
The Dell DVI ports don't support HDMI, so if that's the standard you're using to input HDTV, you're out of luck. The 2405 has component inputs, though, and that interface can produce some really impressive images.

There's a totally new interface standard in the works to replace and unify all the connectors we currently use. Think of it as a next-generation DVI that will work with TVs, computers, and other "information appliances." Of course, nothing will be shipping with that connector for a long time, but it's something to look forward to.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.