Dell WD19 Dock with Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tmanto02, May 22, 2019.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

My employer uses Dell computers but I prefer to BYO Macbook pro. The docking station is a Dell WD19 with USB C connectivity. It has Display port and HDMI inputs for dual screens. All of the ports seem to work with my mac, except when trying to connect the two dell monitors it duplicates rather than extending across the two monitors.

Are there any drivers or anything that I can do to make the dock fully functional with my mac?

2. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

You’ve checked it’s not just display settings set to “mirror”, right?

3. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yep

4. Crombie914 macrumors newbie

I don’t have experience with the wd19, but we deploy wd15 units and we have this same behavior. I remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with USB C display tech that Dell uses in those. If it was a thunderbolt dock, from what I have read, it works perfectly.

5. TitanBax macrumors newbie

TitanBax

Has anyone resolved this. I have the same problem. It works fine with the Dell Workstations we have, but mirrors on the MAC. We also have D6000 in another region and they work fine, but we have gone to the WD19 as it supports the additional power required.

Cheers

Titan

6. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I concluded that it doesn't dual screen with Mac, plug in my second monitor with a diplayport to usb c cord

7. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Can someone confirm which model WD19's you're using? There are three variants apparently:

WD19 (USB-C host connection, max 4k@30Hz video)
    WD19DC ("Separable Dual DisplayPort over USB-C", max 5k@60Hz) - this, it seems means two USB-C cables from the dock to the host machine
    WD19TB (TB3 host connection, max 5K@60Hz video)

Also, what displays are you trying to use it with, at what resolution? Do the PCs where "it works" have exactly the same dock+display combo?