Dell WFP3007 w/ MAC pro Nightmare SOS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr. Cade, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Mr. Cade macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

I recently got a Dell WFP3007; lightly used.
    It had previously been used on a PC and I witnessed it work.
    I get it home to my MacPro, it doesnt work.

When you plug it in, and start up the computer, you see the grey screen, then the apple logo with the spinning gear then suddenly the monitor goes to standby mode.

I replaced the dual link dvi cable with a brand new one.
    I took my tower into the mac store, they tested everything AND replaced the video card (ATI radeon X1900 XT 512MB, ver2)
    I've spent hours on the phone with apple AND with DELL
    also trouble shot the monitor (its fine)
    I was actually able to get the monitor to work ok on a dell laptop, but alas, not on my MAC. (MAC OSX 10.5.6, 2 x 3 GHz Dual-core intel xeon, 4GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM)
    I see NO REASON why this shouldn't work.

WTF mate?

Can someone please help me? How do I make the monitor and the computer recognize one another?

this is hellish.

2. rtheb macrumors 6502

Were the original video card and the replaced video card identical manufactured cards or different?

Was the start up sequence the same with both video cards?

Does video display when other monitors are hooked up to the MacPro in lieu of the Dell?

Have you tried a dual monitor setup?

Using Dual Monitors you can at least get to the System Preference Displays and see if the Dell is recognized.

The Apple startup screen sounds as if the MacPro initially recognizes the Dell but once OSX is up and running the Display preferences are not configured properly.

The more info you can provide may help someone here find a solution.

3. rtheb macrumors 6502

4. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

The two video card are the same make and model BUT the new one is version 2. first one was version on.

Startup was the same with both cards.

I am currently running two 20" dell monitors. they worked on the old card and are working on the new one.

I tried a dual setup...using one 20" monitor as the desktop monitor and the 30" as the second monitor. the mac was unable to detect the 30"...it behaved the same as always.

I feel like the monitor requires a driver or something...even though that makes no sense at all. i dunno. this is so peculiar.

5. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

6. rtheb macrumors 6502

Did you try using another PCI slot for the video card?

I doubt this will change anything but it at least eliminates the card slot as a cause.

Did you physically do the update to the video card firmware or did you rely on others?

Sometimes what people say was not actually done.

If the card has been updated the software will advise you that it is not needed.

Can you grab a screen capture of your "About this Mac" System Profiler?

Be sure to blank out your serial number on the initial screen before posting.

Then a grab of the Graphics/Displays and the PCI Cards as well.

Also does Dell have any Firmware updates for the monitor?

Did you install the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 from February 11, 2008?

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Leopard_Graphics_Update_1_0

Also did you contact ATI support? This sounds as if you have a video card issue.

I'd try a different brand and/or model of the video card and see if that solves anything. Ask ATI for a replacement at no or reduced cost.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI Technologies/100435928/

Also some info here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ics-cards-dvi-dual-link-mini-displayport.html

7. sjivan macrumors member

8. ToastyX macrumors regular

It's going into standby mode because something is causing it to boot into an unsupported resolution.

Try zapping the PRAM first: press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys while booting until you hear the startup sound for the second time. That sometimes clears up display issues like this.

If that doesn't help, try booting into safe mode (press and hold shift while booting). If that works, then go into System Preferences -> Displays and change the color depth to Thousands and back to Millions, then reboot. That will make the resolution settings "stick" so it should boot into the proper resolution next time.

9. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

I did try the next PCI slot. no luck.

I also had apple test all of my hardware. including the motherboard and they said it all checked out except for the video card, which the replaced just before i posted this thread.

I HAVE NOT tried the leopard graphics update though.

NOW HERES MORE BAD NEWS.

while trying to sort all this out, I clicked "gather windows" which as you may recall is under the "detect displays" button and when it updated my two 20 inch dells that i've been using forever... the second monitor went to standby and now I cant detect that one either. It now behaves just like my 30" monitor when I plug it in. so fellas if you dont hear from me after this its probably because I will have managed to find some new way to ruin my last remaining monitor and can no longer use my mac pro.

I swear they just dont make MACs for people this dumb. :confused:

I personally attempted to acquire the video card firmware and got the message stating it was not needed.

Also...I think I should note that i took those screen shots with TWO dell 2005fpw monitors connected, not just one.

Attached Files:

10. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

Thank you for the advise there, i actually already went through those steps when i had dell on the phone. (no dice)

i think i'll try them again and see if I cant get my second 20" monitor to come back to life, since i managed to disconnect with that monitor as well.

11. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

After trying to download the leopard graphics update, I got this screen. (because my computer hates me and wants to find a new home on craigslist)

Attached Files:

12. rtheb macrumors 6502

The MacPro is telling you it doesn't need the update as it is already installed.

I found this and perhaps it is worth a try...

You might want to try this and report.

I still think ToastyX is on the right track because you get the initial Apple :apple: splash screen which means the card and MacPro see each other.

Try switching the cable on the video card to the other dual link DVI out.

Both DVI outlets are supposed to be dual link.

The Dual Monitor route still makes the most sense to me so try and do a safe boot with the 30" and one of the 20" monitors connected and then see if the 30" is recognized.

It is possible that you have a "damaged" 30" display.

Perhaps Dell will issue an RMA.

I don't think it is the video card because I doubt you would even see the splash screen if defective video card.

13. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

OK, the P-Ram reset fixed the issue with my second 20" monitor.
    thats a relief.

it, however, did not work with the 30".

aaaaaaaand the moving files to the desktop trick... well, i tried that with the apple tech a month or so ago and it didnt work, BUT that was before I got the new video card, so it might be worth a second try (?)

By the way, THANK YOU GUYS for all the tips and help etc. thank you thank you thank you.

guess you folks like a challenge huh?

14. lAciDl macrumors member

does it boot into safe mode at all? if it does we can rule out the lcd being bad. if you can get into safe mode set the resolution to 1280x800 and boot normally and see if it works, once into osx you can change the resolution to 2560x1600

15. rtheb macrumors 6502

I found this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467268

This is the second time I read that the Dell "needs" its OEM Cable.
    Edit: After further reading the implication is not really "OEM" but DVI-D Dual Link Cable

http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-d-dual-link-digital-cable.html

Since you already purchased a second DVI-D Dual Link Cable probably not the problem.

Another discussion - not the same problem but same hardware at - macosxhints forum:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-84978.html

Dell Manual:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/3007WFP/EN/setup.htm#Using the Front Panel Buttons

16. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

Yep, it boots ok into safe mode.
    I did that but I didnt try changing the res and then shutting it down.
    I'll give that a go.

17. Mr. Cade thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Cade

Thanks for the research. unfortunately all those threads are painfully familiar to me. sigh read em already.

Believe it or not, I AM still using that cute little yellow tag cable. Because there was no improvement with the new one I bought.

I'm at the point where I wanna send it back to dell for an RMA.

18. rtheb macrumors 6502

Have you used the 30" and the 20" together in a dual monitor setup with both monitors connected at boot?

Do a Safe Boot which disables all the Extensions by holding down the SHIFT key at startup. I usually just hold it down till the logon screen appears.

Does the 20" boot and display the desktop?

I assume the 30" does not display the desktop or anything else, but is the amber stand-by light on?

If this is occurring try switching the cables on the DVI ports from the video card 20" to DVI port using 30" and vice versa while the MacPro is running.

Does the 20" still show the desktop?

What if anything on the 30"?

Next just disconnect the 30" from the DVI port on the video card.

Does the 30" now display anything when totally disconnected but still powered?

I read somewhere that the 30" displays various colors when their is no video source connected.

Have you tried to boot the MacPro from the OSX install disc with just the 30" connected? Perhaps something in the Hard Disk boot is causing the issue.
    Just hold the "C" key down at boot to bypass the startup drive.
    BTW if the "C" doesn't work try CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE.

If you have TechTool Pro you might want to run the video test, hardware tests, as well as clean up the permissions et. al.

See if you see any signs of life.

When you were at the Apple Store did you hook up your MacPro with the new video card to an Apple ACD 30" and did it work?

Perhaps they'll allow you to bring in just the Dell 30" and use one of their MacPros to see if it works.

Apparently you are in LA. I am in Huntington Beach and I take all my non self repair mac hardware issues to LA Computer in Anaheim. Great People and reasonable.

Let us know if any of these ideas help, but if it is a monitor issue we are all just spinning our wheels.

19. rtheb macrumors 6502

Do you have just one video card installed or do you have two separate cards installed?