Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Dell Widescreen 15.4 inch Laptop

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Dell announced a widescreen 15.4" LCD today:

The PC maker on Wednesday launched the Inspiron 8500 with a 15.4-inch wide-aspect screen featuring a resolution of up to 1,920 pixels by 1,200 pixels.

The 15.4" screen carries a 16:10 aspect ratio and provides a resolution up to 1920x1200.

Apple has been expected to upgrade their 15" Powerbook line after the most recent updates with an introduction of a 12" and 17" Powerbook in January. Hints of a 15.4" screen have trickled in, but little definitive information that this size will be adopted by Apple as well.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Yeah, it's still ugly though.

.5" thicker and a pound heavier than the TiBook - .2 pounds heavier than a 17PB.

The kicker is that it's only $50 cheaper as a base model.

Comment

michaelyoung

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
I love dell!

I cant wait for them to announce how they "invented" the wide screen laptop!

Comment
15" AlBook

I read about this on Slashdot a few minutes ago and if this is what the 15" AlBook is getting as the screen, I'll take that over the 17". High Definition resolution.

I mean Christ, the same resolution as the 23" Apple Cinema HD, and a much better LCD technology.

Yes, I can read the text fine. I'm not blind. But that's just me. :)

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Damn that things ugly!

I like hi-res displays, but there is no way you could use a 15.4" screen at 1920 x 1200, sheesh, even the new 17" AlBook shouldn't have that hi-res (which I know it doesn't BTW, I'm just saying that I'm glad they didn't try it :))...are they insane! :rolleyes:

Comment

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
I'm just wondering whats taking so long with the 15'. The upgrades better be worth the wait. And where are the iPods? C'mon Apple, I got $500 bucks to burn. :cool:

Look at edesignuk's pic. Is it me or does the computer seem off-center? The damn thing is crooked!

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'd like to see pictures and see the 1920x1200 screen - that would be some tiny text.....

Comment

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
If this is the same screen the expected 15.4" PowerBook will use, I'm pumped. Bring it on! (If only the cash were there. :( ) Come on, Apple - auction off the remaining Ti's; we want our 15.4 inchers! :)

WonderBoy sed:
I'm just wondering whats taking so long with the 15'.

DUDE! 15-foot PowerBooks! I can see the marketing: "By far the most computing power ever packed into a laptop." ;)

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ahhahahaha - that's a funny pic - they couldn't go for the blue backlit keyboard so they trimmed it with blue?

Very ugly indeed. Thanks for digging up the pic.

D :D

Comment

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I'm the first one again

I couldn't care less about Dell.

One thing powerbooks or OSX need to improve is the "overscan" screen option when connecting a second video sources and using dual monitors. That is more a OSX issue.

Comment

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
That thing is pretty ugly. Especially the blue on it. I would take a 17" PowerBook over that thing any day.

Comment

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
about the resolution ...

I disagree w/ earlier posts of the resolution being too high. If the text is to small then just increase the size of the text, you shouldn't have to loose desktop real estate because you want large text. I was very disappointed when I heard what resolution would be shipping on the 17Al Book. Apple needs higher resolution displays in their laptops, period.

Comment

jamilecrire

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
Re: about the resolution ...

Originally posted by skymaXimus
I disagree w/ earlier posts of the resolution being too high. If the text is to small then just increase the size of the text, you shouldn't have to loose desktop real estate because you want large text. I was very disappointed when I heard what resolution would be shipping on the 17Al Book. Apple needs higher resolution displays in their laptops, period.

Not to mention it's $300 cheaper with better configuration options.

Oh did anyone notice it's got the new GeForce 4 Go 4200 (like the Ti 4200 instead of the 4 MX?)

When you're hauling a 17" or 15.4" notebook you're not looking for weight/size (or I would hope not).

Besides I've never understood the whole weight and it's .5" bigger complaints. Who the hell works on their laptop while holding it in the air. Not to mention every person I've worked with that carries a laptop crams 5-10 lbs of crap in their cases anyway. If you're too weak to carry an extra pound then get a Sony VAIO or 12" Powerbook/iBook (or you could work out you weak arse computer nerds).

Comment

Death2PCs

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2003
CA, USA
Dell 8500 vs. PowerBook 15inch

Check this out.... Configure a 15 inch PowerBook with the best processor (1GHz) and the like components. Compare the prices to the Dell... no, thats OK I did it for you.

Apple TiBook:
15.2 inch Widescreen Display (Max. Res. 1280x854)
1GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Wireless Networking (AirPort)
512 MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 w. 64MB DDR SDRAM
Height: 1.0 inch (2.6 cm)
Width: 13.4 inches (34.1 cm)
Depth: 9.5 inches (24.1 cm)
Weight: 5.4 pounds (2.45 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Price: $ 2,699.00

Dell Inspiration 8500:
15.4 inch Widescreen Display (Max. Res. 1920x1200)
2.4GHz Mobile Pentium 4 Processor
60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Wireless Networking (802.11a/b)
512 MB DDR SDRAM - 1 DIMM
nVidia GeForce 4 4200 Go w. 64MB DDR SDRAM
Height: 1.52-inch (3.86 cm)
Width: 14.22-inch (36.12 cm)
Depth: 10.87-inch (27.61 cm)
Weight: 6.9 lbs. (3.13 kg) with travel module, battery and Hard Drive

Price: $ 2,927.00

$ 2,927.00 (Price of Dell)
- $ 2,699.00 (Price of Apple)
$ 228.00 (That many more dollars for the Dell)

So from the way I see it... the Dell is wider, and deeper, and taller, and heavier and more EXPENSIVE than the PowerBook.

We all know that ATI makes better graphics cards too. AND...

Not to mention that with the new revision that is expected of the 15 inch TiBook (the 15 inch AlBook), we will probably see the price remain steady, DDR RAM, and AirPort Extreme.

Still think Macs are more expensive?

(Anyone see the Dual 1.42GHz are "shipping" now)

Attachments

• calvin.gif
    calvin.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 6,462
Comment

rmac

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Hanover, NH
10.3 feature

Seems to me that a nice feature to have in OS 10.3 would be to change GUI resolution as a whole. Can already change icon sizes and many fonts now, and it looks great. They've been planning for high resolution monitors for a while, considering that the icons are 128 x 128. Usually don't have them at higher than 64 x 64 now, and on a Powerbook more often than not 48 x 48.

In combination with high res screens, being able to adjust the GUI would make up for LCDs limitation with being able to change resolutions like CRT monitors can. With CRTs you make a higher resolution to shrink the relative size of palletes and such...get more screen real-estate. Starting with a high res LCD monitor, you'd have small palletes and GUI widgets to begin with. Then can zoom them to be bigger, as they'd be on lower resolutions on a CRT. You'd still get the detail benefits of the higher resolution but on the downside the graphics card would still have to handle the same high resolution.

I'm sure Apple could pull something like this off with Quartz, and make it available to all Cocoa and hopefully Carbon programs. Could let you make changes globally through a tab or system preference panel.

Then who wouldn't want more resolution?

Comment

mania

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
colorado
First, we don't care about dell too much on macrumors - should not have made the front page.

Second, I can barely read things on my partners 1600x1200 15" dell - there is no way in h3ll you can read on a 1920. please dont tell me about text resizing - half the web is text made into graphics and you can't resize those. This product is crap and will bomb like the US over iraq.

Comment

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
High resolution - High Clarity

Originally posted by dukestreet
I'd like to see pictures and see the 1920x1200 screen - that would be some tiny text.....

Some of the dev lappys we have at work use the 15" ultrasharp monitor (1600x1200) and they make things really tiny. The new lappy is the same height, just wider.

The thing with these monitors is that the screen really is 'ultrasharp'. You can sit back from the screen and still read the fine text because it is very very clear. Dell lappy's however don't have the veiwing angle and brightness of apple monitors tho (esp. the 1024x768 lappys - my iBook destroys those on clarity. the 1600 versions are almost as good as the iBook for viewing angle but apple LCDs win as far as brightness is concerned).

If apple source from the same/similar LCD provider as dell, I don't think we'll be complaining about the high resolutions because it's very clear/sharp.

Honestly, I don't see a problem (pardon the pun) with a high resolution lappy monitor - the real-estate is very handy, but I guess it comes down to your preference. I think developers will love the extra real-estate of a 1920x1200 monitor...

-- Dan =)

Comment

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
1025x768 is fine for me, i've tried a few other resolutions a little higher but i am quite content already. This is on a 17"CRT as well.

There comes a point where it isn't needed, more so, if you have a bigger screen, if you don't do DTP or something that needs that detail. I cannot understand why its on a laptop.

Comment

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
The .5" thicker and 1 pound diff isn't a complaint. It's a matter of attention detail and engineering and overall sexiness. That 1/2" means that I have space for one more report in my bag - more materials, more of anything except thickness of the damn machine.

The extra pound of excess weight is just another reason. But an added 20% (ish) of weight is stupid if they can do without it.

And why does everyone seem to think that all people do with their computers is read text? A res that high would be pretty handy for lots of other things.

Comment

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I think that resolution is way way way too big.

Anyone who needs such screen resolution has something wrong.

How many web pages do you need side-by-side-by side?

On my 17" iMac I can open 2 pages all text included side-by-side.

Can anyone run any really inportant apps needed at a 1900x display?
How few frames in games do you get with a 2.4 and a GeForce Go?

I really think that text would be equivelent to reading
This all day long. I mean you would need the monitor to be right near you all the time and even thought they have crisp displays not many people have eyesight so good.

Comment

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
DANG!!!
That thing is ugly as Rossane in a thong! Really, did they just reuse the shells from my very first P1 notebook?

Ah well, compared to the beauty of the tibook, this one looks like you could swing it at concrete all day long and not really care if you scratch it. In fact it might just improve it.

Oh and whoever said that the 9000 is better than the 4200, the 4200 is about 40% stronger than the 9000. I hope to see one in future tibooks.

Comment

FooDragon

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2002
Jersey
I find it kind of funny to see everybody reacting so negatively to the resolution in the dell. I know if apple had released a laptop with this high a resolution (which they should in my opinion) that people would be drooling over it and stating how great apple is. But instead we just get more pc bashing. I think it would be great to have such a resolution on a mac, for one you don't have to run it at that resolution, it's your own choice to run whatever resolution you like.

So apple, bring on the high definition laptops!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.