Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swruler9284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I have a dell windows xp reinstallation cd that came with a dell computer back in 2006. I'm pretty positive it has service pack 2. Can I pop this into my computer for use with parallels, or do i have to buy windows? It's also the media center edition.

thanks!

swruler9284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
it worked!

but now I'm being bugged to activate windows.... and when I click on it it says there's an error... gr.

Wheelie4

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
NC, USA
Just do it by the phone method. Answer the questions smartly and you'll be fine.
Thanks. I used my Dell WinXP SP1 reinstall disc from 2003 to install in Parallels and couldn't activate by internet. A quick phone call, a few wise answer to an automated service and I'm activated a couple minutes later. ;)

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Thanks. I used my Dell WinXP SP1 reinstall disc from 2003 to install in Parallels and couldn't activate by internet. A quick phone call, a few wise answer to an automated service and I'm activated a couple minutes later. ;)

It worked with XP SP1?

Gotta love that phone activation. ;)

vespa150

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2008
See now I'm trying to do the same with Windows ME, and it's all crashity crash crash. To the point where even Parallels stops working altogether.

So now after spending $80 on the software, I've got to drop another "however much" on a service phone call? Lame.

Lamer? I work on a ship, and internet is stupid expensive and phone calls are pretty much out of the question...

Lamest! I'm new to Mac, and obviously MacTarded.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
See now I'm trying to do the same with Windows ME, and it's all crashity crash crash. To the point where even Parallels stops working altogether.

So now after spending $80 on the software, I've got to drop another "however much" on a service phone call? Lame.

Lamer? I work on a ship, and internet is stupid expensive and phone calls are pretty much out of the question...

Lamest! I'm new to Mac, and obviously MacTarded.

You're not going to get far with a phone call. Windows Me is no longer supported by MS and there was never any activation in Me.

My guess is that Parallels is crashing due to the crap that is Windows Me.;)

vespa150

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2008
You're not going to get far with a phone call. Windows Me is no longer supported by MS and there was never any activation in Me.

My guess is that Parallels is crashing due to the crap that is Windows Me.;)

See, now I thought that too. But when you go to install a VM, it does give you the option of setting up Windows ME via the drop down menus.

I never was able to get as far as the 'activation' - it just wouldn't recognize the CD ROM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.