DELL XP CDs are good???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by umbilical, Feb 13, 2010.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Did you even bother to read the listing? The seller is not including a product key. Furthermore, discs like that one cannot be resold. They are meant for distribution with a new Dell only. If you need Windows, fork up the money for a legal copy.

3. wesrk macrumors 6502a

The disc is good if you have a Dell and your own key. For a mac however? You're likely to not be successful in using this disc to install Windows XP using bootcamp. I don't know if there are ways around this but this is not the place to get that question answered. Try some other route, check craigslist or something similar for someone selling their retail XP disc with a product key.

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

What the other people said.

In addition, on my M4400, the install is slooooooow on AHCI as compared to IRRT.

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Aside from the legal issues, it is an OEM copy of Windows. OEM copies are customized for the PCs they are distributed with (exactly like OEM copies of OSX). I would be shocked if you got it to boot without a blue screen after installing it (that is, if you even get past the installer).

6. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

so what is a the normal price of the win xp pro sp3 retail ? links please!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

XP is no longer available retail as it has reached the end of its product life. New copies of XP retail were stopped back in June 2008. You can still find new OEM versions at NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511&cm_re=XP_oem-_-32-116-511-_-Product

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515&cm_re=XP_oem-_-32-116-515-_-Product

$109 Home, $159 Pro.

These will work, but using an OEM/System Builder license on your Mac is outside the terms of the System Builder's License. So while it will work, you are not "properly" licensed.

B

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

So that HP-branded OEM disk that's been the source of my XP installation that's been running for three years won't work? Good thing I can get technically correct answers here. :rolleyes:

EULA issues aside, current OEM (or "System Builder, or "white box") copies of XP are just not packaged (or priced) as retail copies. Period. They will install fine, but your conscience is and concern for maintaining yourself fully within the publisher's EULA will dictate your actions.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW Dell XP CDs were notoriously customized, and are thus less likely to work than either a new/generic OEM/white box CD as I linked to, or apparently your HP OEM disc.

Especially stay away from anything that says "restoration" as used by the OP.

Just because you got lucky, doesn't mean it will work for the OP or that we should be recommending it.

B

10. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I never said it was impossible. You quoted my comment, maybe you should read it. I said the OP was likely not to succeed in that endeavor with the restoration disk that he linked. I then stated that this forum was no the place to get advice on how to do a work-around.

11. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. wesrk macrumors 6502a

It's actually not bad. I any case, enjoy.