Dell XP Reinstallation CD with Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lemonliam, Dec 8, 2009.

1. lemonliam macrumors newbie

I was wondering if I can use a Dell XP Reinstallation CD with Service Pack 1 with boot camp on my mac book pro 17 inch I got this summer.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Nope. They only work on Dell machines. Also the disk is loaded with bloatware and crap. It's against EULA to use it on any other machine as well.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not with Dell. I remember dell ships them with original OEM disks, then the bloatware and drivers are on a separate disk.

Regardless, you still need SP2 of XP, not SP1

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The main technical problem with most Dell XP SP1 discs is that they often included pre-SP2 hotfixes and are thus not easy to slipstream into SP2 discs.

Of course you still have the ethical problem that the OS is not licensed for use on anything other than a Dell.

B

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

From a technical perspective, all that is probably needed is for you to slipstream SP2 or SP3 to the disc. However, OEM licenses are non-transferrable, so you would be violating the license to install it on anything except the computer that it came with.