Dell XPS 13 vs Macbook? (Travelling) (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nlr, Sep 11, 2015.

?

What one would you get?

1. Retina Macbook

74.6%
  2. XPS 13

25.4%
  1. nlr macrumors 6502

Hello,

I am needing a new portable laptop that I can take with me on my travelling. I have decided my choices are between the new Retina Macbook or the Dell XPS 13 which are similarly priced and can do my tasks very well. My default OS I would be using is Windows 10.

I know the new Macbook is very capable of running, performing very well on Windows 10 and the hardware is amazing quality and compact.

What machine has better battery life on Windows 10 and what would you recommend I get?

Thank you.

2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

If Windows 10 is going to be your main OS then pick up the XPS 13. The retina MacBook is a great machine, but you're going to get great battery life and a faster processor with the XPS at a lower cost. I see very little reason to get the MacBook instead unless you also want to use OS X.

3. kvyoung macrumors member

To run Windows I would go with the XPS - faster processor, decent battery life, QHD+ touch display, infinity screen and was designed with Windows in mind. If you were going to run OS X then rMacBook would be the obvious winner. I'm curious what applications you intend to run since you have a Windows preference?

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Yeah, I too think that for Windows only you should get the Dell. The battery life of the rMB will be worse in Windows than Dell's.

5. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatrader 4. I am a financial trader so trade forex, commodities and stocks on the go. I am currently using a 2013 Macbook Air but feel the need to upgrade to a better resolution and hopefully get increased battery life.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

The new Macbook has worse battery life than a 2013 Air. 40-50% less actually.

7. 100 macrumors member

Get the dell. It just makes more sense.

8. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Actually, I would get the XPS and wipe that drive and put Ubuntu on it. Sorry, I gave Windows 10 a full run for a month and just didn't work. Granted, it's a HUGE improvement over Windows 8, but Dell laptops tend to run Ubuntu very well..

9. SteveJUAE, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I quite like Forbes summation of the XPS13:

"I have had hands-on time with the new Retina 12-inch MacBook — an amazing laptop in its own right. Shorthand for describing the XPS 13 might be: it is pretty close to what Apple would do if it came out with a 13.3-inch, higher-performance version of the gorgeous 12-inch MacBook"

If you want the lightest/stylish and some tactile familiarity of your previous MBA all be it a bit slower for some tasks, then the rMB else the Dell has the better battery, resolution, built in connectivity and performance with a slightly bigger footprint and weight.

Although you noted you are using a MBA you did not say if it was the 11" or 13" version, if the 11" then the rMB may feel more comfortable/familar

I've had 1x13" and 4x11" MBA's versions all running windows before I got tired of the resolution and jumped back to Sony Vaio Pro for a short while, now I am back with the rMB with windows 10 and remember why I liked Apple hardware

I've not had a Dell laptop for over 12 years as I changed to Sony Vaio for several before jumping on to MBA's (as noted above) so not sure what to make of their support these days.

If you max out the XPS the battery life will reduce and add 0.2kg also note the SD card sticks out like the 13" MBA if you opt for the smallest built in drive with the notion of expanding later with a SD card.

I recently travelled with my rMB and it was barely noticeable, my wife lugged her MBP 13" in her handbag, I felt sorry for her and bought her the rMB for the return so I had her 1 year old slab to cart back in my little Tumi backpack

10. Ka Tec, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

Ka Tec macrumors newbie

I was in your same situation a few months ago tossing up between the macbook 12 and the XPS 13. All I can say do your research.

For example the assumption that the XPS last longer is than Macbook is misleading. If you get the Non-HD and non-touch this is true where test shows to last around 11 hours. However the HD with touchscreen version on the XPS only last 7 hours which is lower than the macbook.

I ended up going with a macbook 12 inch 1.3ghz over XPS because of the retina screen, weight and sleek construction of the unit. This was a big move as I was coming from owning a Surface Pro 3 and before the Surface Pro 2. However I am very happy with my choice and to my wife's relief I probably won't upgrade for a few years.

On my macbook 12 inch I run windows 10 bootcamp for work. I get about 8-9 hrs which includes high use of outlook, excel and web. I use OSX for programming and entertainment where I get about the same hrs maybe slightly more. My opinion windows 10 is a smoother experience on macbook 12 than OSX, running bootcamp windows 10 you will not be disappointed.

I travel alot too and no issues carrying this around. One first world problem I do have though is the macbook being so light I keep having to check my travel bag if I've packed it. I also use this as case, very professional: http://www.amazon.com/MacBook-CaseCrown-Elite-Folio-Cover/dp/B00U33C3IQ

With above said the XPS does have more ports and there are currently very few accessories out there for USB-C. I have to carry around USB-C adaptor everywhere. You also get the benefit of a 13 inch display within a 12inch unit although the 12inch macbook is still smaller.

If you're heart is set on the XPS my advice is to wait until the 6th Generation - Skylake chip comes out so you can get improved battery life without the compromise of the HD screen. There is already noise that Dell will soon release the XPS with the updated chip shortly. I expect Apple will not do the update until mid-next year.

11. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

No POS windoze laptop could ever beat a rMB in overall experience.

12. thewusman macrumors regular

Just curious - why did you ditch your Surface Pro 3 ?

13. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Even if the program you use doesn't work? Because this person needs it for work.

If you're running Windows, a Windows machine will definitely do better.

14. Ka Tec macrumors newbie

First of all the Surface Pro 3 overall is a wonderful machine. For work I used it mainly in the docking station and felt like I was using a desktop computer. Using it in this manner and occasionally going mobile I had no complaints with the device. Its has a gorgeous display, very powerful and compact.

However 7 months ago I started building a web application in my spare time, which meant I was using the device more mobile meaning on the couch or floor whilst watching TV or during my lunch breaks/transit. Using it this way I started getting annoyed with the kickstand, the flimsy keyboard and trackpad to the point I felt it limited my productivity. I needed something more sturdier. In addition I needed the OSX development environment as Windows is unable to handle 64bit numbers only 32bits which affected my coding. Finally as I no longer need a virtual linux box for my dev, I get more battery life for coding. So the switch to macbook made a lot of sense to me and my needs.

15. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

People stay away from Windoze because it's a nightmare.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Windows has about 90% of the desktop/laptop market.

17. thewusman macrumors regular

Thanks - makes perfect sense - I also don't find my SP3 very "lap-able". Agree with you 100%.

18. Sternkucker macrumors newbie

I'm also one of these guys. I simply fell in love with the design of the Macbook. Played also with the XPS13 in the store but it's simply not as beautiful. Still, I would need to use Windows most of the time due to some business applications.

Haven't made a decision yet...

19. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

That's what Bootcamp is for :)

I exclusively run Windows 10 on my rMB

20. Ka Tec macrumors newbie

Macbook with Windows 10 bootcamp is awesome. My opinion the rmB w/ windows 10 seems to run better than using OSX Yosemite. Downfall you will have to fork out additional money to buy the Windows 10 operating system.....I'm just a sucker for luxury.

21. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

You can buy Windows 8/8.1 for around $30 online and upgrade for free to Windows 10

else

As you note ,I do not see any drawbacks other than losing 38Gig for minimum OSX partition, so I would recommend getting the rMB 1.2 with a larger SDD

It's a win win or a Win OSX :) IMO

22. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

What about running Windows games natively? How about CAD users who think using a 12" screen is unusable? How about those that do actual work for a living? Get back to me.

23. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

LOL. Real gamers use Windoze desktops not a laptop. CAD users also use a desktop/Mac Pro for serious work not and not a laptop. On the actual work for living Bloggers use macs (not POS Windoze laptops) and Professionals that work on photoshop, lightroom, Final Cut etc work on a iMac/Mac Pro and not on a laptop.

Since I'm only comparing laptops, your questions are moot.

24. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

Try Parallels if you like the Macbook and want a native Windows experience. That software is probably the best virtualization tool i've ever used. Even to the point of native .exe execution inside OS X (With Parallels running with Drivers/Windows 10 installed)

25. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Clearly you've never heard of workstation class laptops for CAD. You failed to argue any of my points with any facts and just made yourself look daft.