Dell's integrated Webcams

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jjo, Nov 29, 2007.

1. jjo macrumors member

jjo

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Considering the integrated camera in my MBP isn't so hot, I'm sure anything that Dell puts in their monitor would be OK.

EDIT: It doesn't look like Dell knows what quality their webcam is... but the software they provide looks way better then Photobooth

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

In general and treating it like any other USB webcam the answer is almost certainly no. You may be able to get it to work with third party drivers (such as maccam) but then again you may not. I personally would not buy one for it unless I'd seen user reports of a driver working.

In general webcam support in os X is abysmal. Most computers have them built in now so really the market is just people with old macs and mac pro users. Not a big market compared to all of PCs so mfrs don't bother.

iChat won't work with any USB cam unless you use the ichatusbcam app thing. This costs money, again, presumably only working with certain cameras.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Really? Then why does my logitech webcam work out the box with iChat? I believe USB webcams are supported since 10.4.9, and certainly work with Leopard (at least with my MBP).

see here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304821

If this is a "USB Video Class webcam" then fair chance it will work (at least with iChat).

5. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

In a thread in the peripherals forum, one person said his 20" dell with built in cam works fantastically no extra drivers. I'd kind of like to hear it from an extra person, though.

6. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Ok, I had a 15% coupon (lots of them floating around the net if you need one), so I was able to order one of these monitors for a total of $293 shipped to me. I'm in austin so dell stuff usually gets here quickly. I'll keep everyone updated on whether or not the webcam works (if it doesn't, this thing is probably going back).

7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

8. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

reporting in: I got my monitor. The 22" silver one with the built in webcam. I plugged everything in and it picked up with no fuss whatsoever. It works with photobooth and ichat right away. Great monitor. Beautiful picture. Wish it wasn't glossy, though.

9. Brandonnn macrumors member

Brandonnn

Thanks for the info on the cam. I was thinking of purchasing the
    22" LCD monitor [SP2208WFP] too. Can you let us know how the monitor looks..clarity with text, how it does with movies ect...your experience with it so far? That wold be greatly appreciated. Thx!

10. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

What is the model number? I just found the model number, and looked on Dell's web site. Does it come with both the VGA and DVI cable?

Where do you find the coupon for 15% off?

It looks like Dell is getting ready for the penryn processor in all their computers.

11. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

It came with both cables. and the model is SP2208WFP. The camera is working great, but I can't get it to pick up sound. I know the mic is built in so I'm a bit at a loss. It's probably something I'm doing wrong, but I'm in the middle of finals (2 tomorrow) and don't have too much time to screw with it. try the slickdeals.net coupon section for a dell coupon. They have them often. I got mine at my office, though.

12. witsendinc macrumors newbie

The Audio is probably related to something in the Audio/Midi Setup? Maybe changing the format from 44100.0 Hz to 48000.0 Hz?

*I have Apples DVI connector to Dell's DVI cord. And a mouse/keyboard connected to the MacBook via USB. And I'm testing via Photo Booth.

What am I doing wrong??