Dell's New Mac Pro Killer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FJ218700, Oct 30, 2008.

1. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Optiplex line got a redesign that reminds me of the 1950's. I wouldn't say they're Mac Pro killers unless they're dual processor workstations. Which they're not...

In before floppy drive nonsense. We're talking about legacy support here and a lot of places still use mainframes.

3. FJ218700 thread starter macrumors 68000

FJ218700

^^ yeah obviously not a Mac Pro competitor, just thought Dell's design choice was worth pointing out.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The minimalistic cheese grater tower and iPod dial aren't anything new. They're not really originally Apple either...

If you're looking for an overkill SFF machine Optiplex is the way to go.

5. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

6. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I still have Floppies... Just not much of a use for them, but if I ever need Windows 95 I will.

I have copy's of:
    ME
    XP Home
    XP Pro
    XP Pro 64
    XP Media
    Vista Home Premium 32
    Vista Business 64
    Vista Ultimate 32
    Vista Ultimate 64

For reasons I do not know why...

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You have Vixta on floppies? How many rooms do they take up?

8. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

It's not bad, but, I don't really, as somebody with a high level of technical competence see much value in these "off the shelf" computers. I would only buy them if they're 1) Going to be needed in such a massive deployment that it would take me too long to assemble them myself; or 2) If I'm buying enterprise level hardware where warranty, reliability, and support are more important that price. The only reason apple wins my heard is because 1) They're unique, you can't really build one, Hackintoshs are cool, but not the same thing; 2) Can't build a laptop; 3) Apple really makes unique products.

This new dell is really a new step forward though. It looks imposing, and I don't really think it's as ugly as the reviewer says it is; I really do like the black part, just see some problems...

1) Floppy? Seriously? Get rid of that, make one big black strip.

2) Is this thing supposed to be standing up or laying down? If it's standing up, how do you put disks in? If it's laying down the logo isn't looking at you? A halfway solution would be to have the logo be magnetically removable so you can rotate it, but knowing dell I'm pretty sure they just stuck it on there and you won't be rotating it.

3) How does the other side look? It really looks like it's going to be laying down with the feet and all, is the other side a flat sheet or does it look like the front? But on a more serious note, this whole "laying down" design is... outdated. I'm sure they'll put the monitor on top and call it a workstation too. I'm sure apple could try and pull off a nice design in this layout, but dell, from what I'm seeing, it'll look bad.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's optional and it's legacy business support.

You'll see that it's a laptop optical drive so there is a mount for the disc.

The "desktop" Optiplex cases can be used as a desktop computer or stand on its side. There are feet on the bottom and side to do so. It depends on what kind of space you're taking up.

One the Dell's that I've ordered the Dell logo is removable so you can rotate it.

10. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Ha! You know what he meant. :D

11. LiveForever macrumors 6502

How about Apples new Mac Pro Killer, umm killer

12. djellison macrumors 68020

These are not 'Mac Pro killers'. the Optiplex are the bulk-purchased mainstay of office computing - and in some places, the Floppy will be useful for unattended XP installations etc.

It doesn't look great - who cares. It lives under a desk in an office.

Me thinks I hear the voices of Apple fanboys lashing out because a company is making something Apple tells them they don't need. Cheap, capable desktop machines. :rolleyes:

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Hey, don't knock the floppy. I still use them every day, they're great for transferring a few documents or pictures quickly without having to deal with USB drives. (Yes, they are a pain, at least to me.)

But overall, that looks like a pretty nice machine, all things considered.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It looks awesome - as long as you have no taste whatsover in design aesthetics... :eek:

The ones around here at work barely even work. At least when I have a slight say in getting a new one I have procurement get the HP's...