Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary500

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Thanks, I have the iPhone 5S and love it, that's why I am considering the retina Macbook since Apple does things so well. I currently have an Dell XPS 17.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
I honestly felt that with the new "start menu" they rolled out with made accessing certain things more of a hassle. But someone entirely new to it may adapt fast because they have new prior use of older windows' OS's.

Some of the things it does will have nothing to do with how you're exposed to it (old Windows user or new user). It completely refuses to acknowledge your use of a mouse, and this goes beyond the actual start screen itself (which is pretty easy to just avoid most of the time).

I've had Windows 8 suggest I "tap here to pick an application for this type of file," for example, on a desktop machine. Some of the menus are accessed only by putting your mouse cursor into one of the corners (makes sense with touch I guess), which can be amazingly annoying if you run multiple monitors; The cursor doesn't stay in the corner because it can move off-screen to the next monitor over, so to hit the target you'll have to carefully place the cursor in just the right spot and then avoid moving it until the menu appears.

Little things like that can stack up to a very annoying experience. I still use 8 simply because the core improvements to the OS outweigh the UI inconveniences, but it's a terrible UI for a mouse pointer no matter how you approach it. It's almost like the plan was to get people on an OS that is inconvenient without touch simply so they'll go out and demand touch hardware.

OneCharmingQuar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I'd say wait and see two weeks...

- If Apple decides to wow us, exceed Dell's 13 hours of battery life and throws in an IGZO display... the choice is clear. Get the Haswell Retina.

- If Apple decides to "pull and iPhone 5S" and give us and incremental 10 hours of battery life, with or without IGZO display.... the choice is clear. Get the Dell.

If you have time and patience to wait and feel inclined to get an Apple because you expect them to do better... then you could wait till maybe January or February of 2014 and see if Apple does a component upgrade with an IGZO 4K display or increases the battery life even further.

This is my think as well, at least for someone who is not locked down to a particular operating system. However, I don't think that a February update is very likely to put the rMBP ahead if it doesn't come out ahead at launch. I doubt they would make the switch from IPS to IGZO so quickly. A delayed Haswell launch seems much more likely, and I don't think that's very plausible to begin with. The last February update was very small. Switching to IGZO is arguably a bigger upgrade than the Haswell processors themselves.

Some of the things it does will have nothing to do with how you're exposed to it (old Windows user or new user). It completely refuses to acknowledge your use of a mouse, and this goes beyond the actual start screen itself (which is pretty easy to just avoid most of the time).

I've had Windows 8 suggest I "tap here to pick an application for this type of file," for example, on a desktop machine. Some of the menus are accessed only by putting your mouse cursor into one of the corners (makes sense with touch I guess), which can be amazingly annoying if you run multiple monitors; The cursor doesn't stay in the corner because it can move off-screen to the next monitor over, so to hit the target you'll have to carefully place the cursor in just the right spot and then avoid moving it until the menu appears.

Little things like that can stack up to a very annoying experience. I still use 8 simply because the core improvements to the OS outweigh the UI inconveniences, but it's a terrible UI for a mouse pointer no matter how you approach it. It's almost like the plan was to get people on an OS that is inconvenient without touch simply so they'll go out and demand touch hardware.

Luckily many of these things will be fixed in 8.1, which will come with the XPS 15. Honestly, both Mountain Lion and Windows 8 have big flaws to their desktop functionality that the upcoming updates will take large strides toward fixing. Neither will be perfect after the update, but at least now they will require less work from the user. Interestingly, the hot corners are for mouse controls only. The touch controls involve swiping in from various sides. It makes much more sense. OS X also has hot corners, but I believe that pre-8.1 Windows needs 3rd party applications for you to deactivate them.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'd say wait and see two weeks...

- If Apple decides to wow us, exceed Dell's 13 hours of battery life and throws in an IGZO display... the choice is clear. Get the Haswell Retina.

- If Apple decides to "pull and iPhone 5S" and give us and incremental 10 hours of battery life, with or without IGZO display.... the choice is clear. Get the Dell.

If you have time and patience to wait and feel inclined to get an Apple because you expect them to do better... then you could wait till maybe January or February of 2014 and see if Apple does a component upgrade with an IGZO 4K display or increases the battery life even further.

I for one am going to be very pleased if we get 10 hours of battery life. I never expected 12-13 in the rMBP, at least not this year. I don't think Apple would be pulling anything.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
So much hate for Windows 8.

I bootcamp Windows 8, and I think it's fantastic. It runs far better than even Windows 7.

If you avoid the apps that are designed for a touch UI, the Tablet interface basically serves as a big launchpad like Mac OSX.

As already been stated, we NEED competition. We as consumers/professionals/whatever DO NOT win if Apple is the only one making super resolution computers.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I don't hate Windows 8, but I've been using since February or whenever it was released and am not thrilled with it. I agree the 8.1 should be a great improvement, and I plan to buy a copy for my rMBP refurb that I got this past week.

Still, I'm not convinced they got the scaling as figured our as Apple, and I'm a 25-year PC-only owner/user. But I hope they do. I agree that we need Apple and MS to push each other. The consumer is the beneficiary of the competition.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Dell's new retina laptop

its been announced.

the new DELL XPS

Has new haswell processors and NVIDIA dGPU

Priced at $1,499

Just wanted to hear what else anyone thinks of it. Seems like a good way to keep apple competitive.

Cheers
I don't understand why people don't get Apple! Apple can care less about a windows laptop! Let alone a Dell! Or a windows 8! There I'd nothing going on in the PC world that is remotely innovative or revolutionary!
Please explain why Apple should be worried about this laptop???????

OneCharmingQuar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I don't understand why people don't get Apple! Apple can care less about a windows laptop! Let alone a Dell! Or a windows 8! There I'd nothing going on in the PC world that is remotely innovative or revolutionary!

Apple should be worried about this laptop because it is a very close competitor that might be better than their own product. If the XPS 15 comes out and has better battery life, better graphics performance, a better screen, and a lower price than the equivalent rMBP many rational customers will buy the XPS 15 instead.

There is, in my opinion, far more innovation going on in the PC side of the laptop market than on the Mac side. Apple is just doing iterative improvements on their preexisting product line. There has been no major shift since the introduction of the MBA. In the Windows realm you have devices like the Lenovo Yogas or the Sony Vaio Duo sliders. I'm not saying that Apple is doing anything wrong by focusing on refining old paradigms, but it's not as innovative as anything going on in the PC realm.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Apple should be worried about this laptop because it is a very close competitor that might be better than their own product. If the XPS 15 comes out and has better battery life, better graphics performance, a better screen, and a lower price than the equivalent rMBP many rational customers will buy the XPS 15 instead.

There is, in my opinion, far more innovation going on in the PC side of the laptop market than on the Mac side. Apple is just doing iterative improvements on their preexisting product line. There has been no major shift since the introduction of the MBA. In the Windows realm you have devices like the Lenovo Yogas or the Sony Vaio Duo sliders. I'm not saying that Apple is doing anything wrong by focusing on refining old paradigms, but it's not as innovative as anything going on in the PC realm.

We won't really be able to compare prices till the XPS 15 and the rMBP 15" refresh are released. From what I've gathered so far, I suspect they will be fairly close if the specs are about the same. The Verge said this:
The catch could be price. The new XPS 15 will start at $1,499 on October 18th, but that's just for the base model with a Core i5 processor, a 1080p screen, integrated Intel graphics, hybrid storage, and even a smaller battery. That's already pricy, and it's likely Dell will charge a good bit more to get the specs that set this laptop apart.​

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The Modern UI portion of Windows 8.1 scales very well. The problem is that many programs need to be reworked to work well in the desktop. This is similar to what was needed for the rMBP at launch, but it does give the rMBP an advantage for at least a few months after the release of Windows 8.1.

The difference is Apple made it easy. If you're already using XCode (And lets be honest, the majority of Mac developers are) then it's trivial to make your app Retina ready. Change your icons for higher resolution versions and that's pretty much it for most apps.

But on Windows it's a whole other ball game. Many developers do not use .net and many developers do not use Visual Studio. This means they rely on their other development tools.

This makes things difficult you don't get a lot of stuff that we take for granted in xcode for free in other IDE's and if you're programming for an environment like Java then good luck getting proper scaling any time this century without doing every inch of work yourself.

The problem with Windows and Resolution Independence is actually its strength in software availability. To put it simply, the platform is so popular for all different kinds of software written in all different languages in all different development environments that when something big like RI comes out there is a significant lag period to when all that 3rd party software gets updated.

With OS X Apple has worked very hard I'd say since probably the Intel switch to get all their developers on to XCode and ObjectC through Cocoa. This means they can do a more vertical approach to technology rollouts that Microsoft can only copy with Visual Studio and .net - They don't have the same insanely high developer penetration as Apple does, don't get me wrong, Visual Studio is popular and so is the software written with it, but it's nowhere near as high penetration on their platform as XCode and Cocoa is on the Mac.

I honestly think that resolution independence on Windows will be lagging behind OS X through the end of this decade, but I also think it will become less of an issue by the close of this decade due to the resurgence of the web and web apps in the browser usurping client side software to a point where the only app that matters is the browser and all of those will support resolution independence if they don't already do so very soon.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I apologise if it has been posted before but the catch is that the quad-i7 is LOWER TDP so basically it's not as powerful as the quad in the retina macbook.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

That being said, I will admit that this was the first Windows laptop since I went Mac 3 years ago that actually made me want to buy it.

Design is FINALLY great, the trackpad is FINALLY glass surfaced and big. I am sure the macbook will still have the best one but at least it is comparable and pretty close.

750M 2GB and a great screen. As a cool aditition, that integrated NFC would have worked so nice with my future Lumia 1020..

Bottom line is that the price will be the deal-maker/breaker for me and the cpu.

If the top of the line of this Dell with 1TB HDD and full quadi7 was 2000$ I would have bought.

Thinking twice as I am typing this I am pretty sure the 2014 version of this Dell will be my future laptop. Scalling issues on windows 8.x would be fully fixed, nVidia Maxwell, lower SSD prices and broadwell would make this machine a true beast.

I trully like the design of this Dell.
Yes, the mac is still better design, but the Dell's dark-light combo and curves togheter with that trackpad feels so refreshing for me.

Well done

OneCharmingQuar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
We won't really be able to compare prices till the XPS 15 and the rMBP 15" refresh are released. From what I've gathered so far, I suspect they will be fairly close if the specs are about the same.
I meant for everything on my list to be purely hypothetical. I also suspect that the prices will be close.

I apologise if it has been posted before but the catch is that the quad-i7 is LOWER TDP so basically it's not as powerful as the quad in the retina macbook.
I trully like the design of this Dell.
Yes, the mac is still better design, but the Dell's dark-light combo and curves togheter with that trackpad feels so refreshing for me.

Well done
The only i7 quad-core listed has a max TDP of 37 W. If I had to guess it was chosen because of problems with cooling such in such a thin laptop. We don't yet know what the rMBP will be using, nor how it will be affected by thermal throttling, but given what appears to be a very low degree of CPU configurability it seems very likely that you will at least be able to exceed the Dell's CPU through configuration on the Mac end.

My main point of contention with the design of either laptop is that the keyboards look so small on 15" laptops, especially when compared to 13" laptops or ones with a numpad. Those designs don't look like they're wasting space. The empty surfaces makes them look like smaller laptops scaled up in a hurry. I will say that I like the way Dell uses curves to hide the thickness of the main body. It's kind of funny how well that illusion works.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
California

Well, for some it seems that price does play a big role, and there are still plenty of Windows users out and about, but now they finally have a HiDPI laptop available to them. I just see this as a way to pressure apple to get into a more competitive state as well as realize that sometimes they won't have the advantage for long.

----------

I guess i need to play with windows 8 a bit more. And to think i was going to build a windows 8 machine for my parents. If im just as lost messing with it, I'm sure they will get frustrated and confused.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Well, for some it seems that price does play a big role, and there are still plenty of Windows users out and about, but now they finally have a HiDPI laptop available to them. I just see this as a way to pressure apple to get into a more competitive state as well as realize that sometimes they won't have the advantage for long.

----------

I guess i need to play with windows 8 a bit more. And to think i was going to build a windows 8 machine for my parents. If im just as lost messing with it, I'm sure they will get frustrated and confused.
The numbers don't lie while the PC market is in a decline. Apple is still seeing growth in the Mac's

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Too bad it's a Dell. I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole.

----------

From my experience, novices have an easier time adjusting to Windows 8 verses those set in their ways using Windows. Either way, Windows 8 is a steaming pile of fecal matter.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Guys, I really don't know what to get. The Dell XPS 15 or the Haswell Retina...I like windows a lot and have never used Mac, which one is the right one for me? :confused:

I've been a Dell user for many years and currently have a studio XPS 1640 that needs replacing. In deciding between a Dell and MBP, my choice is MBP.

I've not used a mac in over 10 years and as an IT consultant, I need windows. But... I love the looks of MBPs and I'm ready for a change. Dells have served me well and I'll probably hang on to my current dell laptop, but sometimes you just want something new. That's why I say go for a rMBP.

I need to have windows, so I'm probably going to install parallels so I can switch without rebooting. I've heard there's a slight performance issue with parallels which is why I'm going for a maxed out system - 16GB ram or 32GB, if available and not ridiculously overpriced.

Anyway, just go for a mac.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
just took a look on dell's web site, and I found this
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-7737/pd?oc=dncwj509h&model_id=inspiron-17-7737

with less than $1300, you can get
i7 haswell cpu,
16gb ram,
2gb vram nv750 dgpu,
17 inch TOUCH screen with full hd resolution,
not so bad body design (actually, i think it is beautiful, I prefer performance and upgrading possibility than slim body)

the only thing is it is not with ssd, I search online, and can't find a guide for upgrading, but I think maybe because it is too new?

This thing really changed my mind, I really need to see what apple gives to us in its new macbook line before go with it.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
just took a look on dell's web site, and I found this
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-7737/pd?oc=dncwj509h&model_id=inspiron-17-7737

with less than $1300, you can get
i7 haswell cpu,
16gb ram,
2gb vram nv750 dgpu,
17 inch TOUCH screen with full hd resolution,
not so bad body design (actually, i think it is beautiful, I prefer performance and upgrading possibility than slim body)

the only thing is it is not with ssd, I search online, and can't find a guide for upgrading, but I think maybe because it is too new?

This thing really changed my mind, I really need to see what apple gives to us in its new macbook line before go with it.

If anything, I would look into Dell XPS, not inspirons. It should be fairly simple to upgrade to SSD. It's not as if it's locked in.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
If anything, I would look into Dell XPS, not inspirons. It should be fairly simple to upgrade to SSD. It's not as if it's locked in.

why? portability is not my goal, if let me choose between cmbp and rmbp, I will definitely choose cmbp. xps is for portability right? then it is not worth for me.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
why? portability is not my goal, if let me choose between cmbp and rmbp, I will definitely choose cmbp. xps is for portability right? then it is not worth for me.

I'm not saying XPS for portability - XPS for performance.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
California
I'm not saying XPS for portability - XPS for performance.

But if the components in the inspiron are exactly the same as the XPS, then it would be safe to assume that the performance would be the same?

Well unless they decided to have the dual core i7 in the inspiron and the quad i7 in the XPS, then i guess those are 2 entirely different machines :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.