Dell's Questionable Quality...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, May 3, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Today I took delivery of yet another display, a 30" Dell. Upon opening and setting up the display I noticed some discrepancies once all the protection film has been removed.

So naturally, I'm wondering are the gaps around the display normal? I'm talking about the brushed finished front bezel, where it meets the black shiny plastic that runs all the way round the display... On mine, there's a 2-3mm gap at the bottom right hand corner where the front controls are. Normal? Also the whole display seems to be slightly lob-sided, no matter how I try to adjust the thing, the left side seems to hang down, most noticeable when sitting next to the ACD. ...It definitely looks less than horizontal..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone else have imperfections with their Dell?

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

my 2407 hangs down on the right. so ive put it right up against my 2408 to give it extra support. ie. 2407 on the left, no gap, 2408 on the right.

one thing i'd advise you is change the dvi cables! I watch quite a few movies/tv on my mac pro and noticed a bit of noise/distortion. i thought it was just the quality of the source, but it was the cables! picked up 2 for £30 online.

3. flawless1979 macrumors newbie

2408 dell issue

That sounds like a good idea. I have a new mac pro nehalem. And have it hocked up to a 2408 dell. But sometimes watching flash animations or some movies, it seams to flicker a bit. do you think its the dvi cable? Im using the one i got with my dell monitor.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Dell stuff is cheap. Sometimes you get lucky, but usually Dell products
    exhibit marginal quality.

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Eh? Paying £1000 for a 30" display ain't cheap! I could of gotten a 3rd Apple display for the same price but I'll be lacking in a a few useful inputs.
    But i guess when you compare the trade off's between it and the Apple display, you might be right!! Perhaps I'll return it, for the NEC??

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

"Cheap" doesn't mean inexpensive these days. ;) Just junk, and it's usually way overpriced. :p

I have a 24" NEC (LCD2490WUXi), and am quite happy with it, and it seems ot be well made. :) If you buy a new one, it would likely come with the newest firmware (unless the store has old stock), so it shouldn't have any issues with a Mac. Otherwise, you'd have to send it in for the update, as it's not user upgradable.

7. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Hmmm, weird with the DVI cables. My cables haven't exhibited any weird behavior.

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Eh? What does the firmware do and how does it affect the display?
    Umm.. Portrait mode looks nice! Beats leaning the ACD against the wall! lol

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    NEC 30" looks well chunky! Built like a tank!!!

The display on mine seems to be good, though colour matching it to the Apple leaves it looking a bit on the cool side and the overall build on the case seems to be annoyingly bad!:( There's gaps between the front bezel and the back casing and applying pressure on the front doesn't make it close, so that's annoying me.:mad:

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

It controls the monitor (OSM), both what's visible normally, and the hidden functions, such as the ability to adjust for cable length automatically.

If you're interested, download the manual. ;)

10. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Eh? Are we both talking about the NEC Multisync LCD3090WQXi or are you referring to another model?? I like the NEC's dynamic brightness adjustment technology, means it'll be easy to sync the colour profile of the display to another display, certainly beats messing about with the Spydar:D

11. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

FYI, cable for the 3008WFP is a Dual Link cable, looks much chunkier when compared to the 2408WFP (standard DVI) - not quiet sure what would happen if I swapped the 3008's cable for a regular DVI.

I doubt changing the cables will do much, I think I need to spend a little TLC with the Dell, if I decide to keep it and create a custom colour matched profile, matching it to my ACD's and colour space.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm using the LCD2490WUXi-BK. Similar, but not exactly the same (resolution). :p They do share circuits though, and they seem to work quite nicely. :D

When you mentioned the 30", I was thinking you meant the Dell 30". :eek:

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

14. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Hey UltraNEO*, which Dell do you have?

15. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Pictures added above are from the Dell 30"...

[​IMG]

and on dismantling the whole unit i figured out why there's a bulge in the bezel, around the bottom right corner the clips on the front facial are missing some hooks, so the thing doesn't stay closed! actually removing the outta case reveals a more sturdy machine.. Though I don't know what Dell has cut back on the finish, if thye spend so much on the double layer of steal inside.

Though the Panel is nice and it's made in Korea.

[​IMG]

16. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You just quoted the text with the model in and you're asking me which Dell i have? o_O
    Trust me, the other 30" doesn't have a £1000+ price tag.

17. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Sorry about that... just noticed that. :eek:

18. guzzlamiamor macrumors member

I bought a studio lap top a while back that was a complete turd. The first one came and had a manufacturing defect preventing it from starting. The second one came and after a few weeks of heavy use the video card or mother board (never determined exactly which one) crapped out. Both of them were made of cheap plastic that was bowed in the region above the keyboard (same issue on both so I assume it is a design flaw). I returned it and got my money back. At the time I needed a laptop but didn't have 1200 to plunk down for a Mac. A lot of people have told me I was just unlucky, which may be the case, but that doesn't change the facts.

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

You get what you pay for.