Dells, the weather, and a six year old...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by flyfish29, Nov 4, 2007.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Many times I'd had discussions with my 6 year old son about how I think the "computer model" weather forecasts are not as good as they used to do in the 70's and 80's without dozens of "computer models."

So yesterday he and I were watching the local Boston weather about the Nor 'Easter coming our way and he looks at me and says...

"Dada, they probably can't call the weather anymore because they use Dells!"

I look up at the TV and channel 5 has a shot of the weather woman with a bank of Dell monitors in front of her.

Guess I have sufficiently brainwashed him into believing if they only used Macs we would have better forecasts.:D

Of course I like to say that "They couldn't call the weather today even if they had the right phone number!!"

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

A good meteorologist takes the pre-made computer models with a grain of salt and also takes into account the actual weather data that gets reported such as surface station models and data gathered by rawindsondes, the same pieces of equipment used in the 70s. That said, meteorologists still have the distinct luxury of being able to be wrong all the time and not lose their jobs:D

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Meteorologists are generally correct... I hate when people think it's the opposite.

Oh well.

6. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I agree, but poor old Michael Fish :D