Delta App Updates iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by xhArRiSoNxD, Dec 29, 2012.

1. xhArRiSoNxD, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

Okay so I just updated Grand Theift Auto: Vice City. Normally when I update a game of this size it downloads the whole game again. When I just updated it on my iPhone it seemed to only download the part of the game that changed then reinstalled itself. Is this new to iOS 6?

I know it didn't download the full game because its over a gig and it downloaded and installed in less than 3 minutes and my Internet connection isn't that fast. Something that would normally take at least an hour.

2. hektor5wolf macrumors member

Yes. Try searching for "delta updates iOS 6":) It's a new feature in iOS

3. xhArRiSoNxD, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

xhArRiSoNxD thread starter macrumors regular

Oh okay. I tried searching but didn't know any good keywords. So this is really cool! So do you know anything about it though?

Do developers need to submit the app a special way or something to have them delta update? Because I updateded a couple gig games and they didn't delta update. This is the first gig plus game that it worked. (Or I noticed)

As a matter of fact when the GTA update first came out I tried to update but it said I didn't have enought space on my phone. I just randomly tried to update it just now and it worked. I definitely didn't delete anything to free any space.

Any info you have feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Edit: Also why the hell was this a quite update. They should have had this in their keynote or something. Bragged about it. Well I guess android had this for a while but sure am happy to see it on iOS.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

5. hektor5wolf macrumors member