Delta to Offer Free In-Flight Access to iMessage, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Delta this week announced plans to offer free access to mobile messaging services on its flights starting in October.

Delta will allow customers to use iMessage, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger to communicate with family and friends while in flight. Though Delta will let customers send text-based messages that include words and emoji, photo and video files are not supported.

[​IMG]

Free messaging will be available on all Delta flights that feature Gogo Wi-Fi capabilities, which includes all aircraft with two or more cabins. Delta customers will be able to access the messaging services through the Delta Wi-Fi portal page.
    Delta plans to start offering the free messaging services on Sunday, October 1.

Article Link: Delta to Offer Free In-Flight Access to iMessage, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger

2. dblackwood72 macrumors regular

and they are gonna collect your data!

3. Jakewilk macrumors regular

This is a game changer! Delta, you have my heart now <3

4. calanman macrumors newbie

I don't understand why Delta is getting so much attention for this today. Alaska has been offering this for almost a year, and since buying Virgin America, they've extended it to VX flights, too. As far as I've been able to find, neither of those developments earned a mention on MacRumors.

5. tivoboy macrumors 68040

So, I've been getting this for several months now on UNITED.. not really sure why, but imessage is going in and out. Attachments don't work but messages do. comes to my watch as well, even though the phone is off. I wonder if they are going to roll that out as well officially.

6. chadsteruw macrumors member

Agreed. Alaska/Virgin America have been doing this for almost a year: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/t...ce/inflight-entertainment/text-messaging.aspx

7. bkaus macrumors regular

How do they control/limit images and attachments in the iMessage stream if it is encrypted?

8. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

Just put on your tin foil hat

9. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Because Delta is the 2nd largest airline in the world, with more than 183.7 million passengers a year. Alaskan Group (who also own Virgin) aren't even in the top 10.

This is bigger news because it impacts far more people. It's like Fargo, ND announcing free access vs Los Angeles announcing it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    Words and emojis only.

Sending photos, videos, and SMS messages is not supported.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/e...rd-services/delta-studio/in-flight-wi-fi.html

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I've been flying all over for work and GoGo inflight isn't too bad, you can pay something like $3.99 for Messages Only (no images) and it works fairly well, though there are a lot of times where you're just waiting for reception again. This is United and American Airlines.

It's amazing how many people do the free inflight wifi video streaming. That has to be some serious data transferring happening.

I'd love the ability to talk to family while flying - would definitely help pass the time. Too bad my work is AA/United only. :(

11. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

Found the Alaska/Virgin America employee! :p

12. jdillings macrumors 68000

How about just taking a break from your phone for the duration of the flight?

13. DominikHoffmann macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

This deserves a little more attention than it has gotten. With the end-to-end encryption Apple touts iMessage offering, how do they do that? Can they decipher, when one message starts and when it ends and just throw everything over a certain size out? I think, you could have a pretty clear size-based discriminator between text iMessages and iMessages containing files, photos or video.

14. belltree macrumors 6502

Based on this? What, you cannot control yourself for a few hours during a flight and put the phone down? Ugh.
    Naive statement at best.

15. JaydenWalter macrumors newbie

JaydenWalter

Not the people on this forum.

16. Slowpc macrumors 6502

Slowpc

Been using messaging in flight for years... Thanks T-Mobile :)

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Should you go for a nice hike or randomly walk around and talk to strangers or perhaps work out or just take in and enjoy the beautiful nature all around you instead?
    Through encrypted messaging, they sure will.

18. dyt1983, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove possibly personally identifying information no longer relevant to the thread.

19. heov macrumors regular

Because some of us have work to do? Some of us aren't flying for leisure?

Why don't you put your phone down when you're commuting on a train? Why don't you put your phone down from the hours 2p-5p? Oh wait you have a reason? Maybe now you'll understand why others don't want to put their phone down during a flight.

It's not like they're talking aloud. It shouldn't affect you. And if it does, buy a mask and ear muffs. Or charter a flight. Texting is not discourteous.

20. bommai macrumors 6502a

bommai

I wonder if an enterprising individual could stream news and other stuff through iMessage. Once you sign up for it.

21. rodenbusch macrumors newbie

rodenbusch

22. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

23. jeyf macrumors 65816

24. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

They can block it. They currently do. The messages are encrypted but it's not like a VPN. They can still filter certain traffic types. They also know the size of the typical text message compared to a photo. Simply block transmissions more than a couple bytes at a time and you prevent those larger files from getting through.

25. WBRacing macrumors 65816

Wrong thread - on this site you must save this sort of attack for Google stories only as apparently they are the only company that do this.