Delta updates with a full iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danderton, Aug 8, 2011.

1. danderton macrumors member

Hi,

A quick thought....

does the OS already reserve space for delta updates or do you need to leave some space spare?

So would a full iPhone still be able to update?

Im assuming apple has thought of this, i just wondered what the solution is that they've come up with?

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

iOS already reserves some space so it can expand and contract as needed to reduce interference when operating normally while the device is full. I'm assuming (because my iPhone is pretty much full) that iOS releases some of that reserved space for updates because I didn't get any sort of complaint when testing the updates on the last beta release.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

After installing the betas of iOS 5, there has consistently been 1/2 a gig less storage space available than installs of iOS 4.
    Either iOS 5 is really that much bigger or else Apple has made sure that extra space is reserved for updates.

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interesting thought, I did notice that my space when restored was something like 28.32 and not 29.6. I'm sure that they have reserved space for updates. Wouldn't worry about it.

5. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

Speaking of delta updates, are app
    Updates now delta as well?

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately not, but maybe it's something for the wishlist of iOS6

7. danderton thread starter macrumors member

Most apps are so small it doesn't really matter. I can't see apple adopting this. a new binary is much safe.

8. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

Not when you have a retina device and play hd games

9. shandyman Suspended

no yet as nothing can show in the app store using iOS5 coding. maybe after iOS5 is released? i kinda hope this will happen.

10. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Many games are at least 100 MB. And there are already 1GB+ games on the store.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Maybe... most games are small. Fun smartphone-ish games like angry birds, cover orange, cut the rope, are all 20-30MB.

Sure, Rage and Infinity Blade are huge, 800MB+, but I still think of them as the minority.

As said, as those kind of titles become more common, Apple may add it down the road, but priority is probably low for the moment.