Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Delta's 'Fly Delta' App Updated With Apple Pay Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Delta today updated its Fly Delta app with Apple Pay support. This makes Delta the first U.S.-based airline to allow users to purchase tickets via Apple Pay.

"Our Fly Delta app has come a long way since it was first introduced in 2010. More than 18 million customers have now downloaded the Fly Delta app and we are excited to be the first U.S.-based airline to allow our customers to book and pay for their tickets with Apple Pay. By providing a way to pay for flights with just the touch of a fingertip, Delta continues to optimize our robust mobile channels and provide an easy-to-use and seamless digital experience for our customers," said Rhonda Crawford, Vice President eCommerce.
While the app supports Apple Pay, Delta notes that it's not yet available for SkyMiles award bookings, trip extras, trip insurance or seat upgrades. The app also has an updated "Today" view that'll allow passengers to easily view their eBoarding pass on the day of travel.

Apple Pay has slowly been rolling out to more vendors over the past months. Earlier today, Apple announced that the service would be available at Starbucks, KFC and Chili's in 2016.

Fly Delta for iPhone is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Delta's 'Fly Delta' App Updated With Apple Pay Support

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Not sure I understand the logic of accepting Apple Pay for reservations but not seat upgrades. When I book I like to do everything at the same time. And I have to think Delta wants to sell as many upgrades as available too.

Comment

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
And, how about some updates to improve the Watch arm of this app? Because, it sucks.

Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
App is pretty good but it needs:
1. Apple Pay as option for any activity requiring payment;
2. TouchID for authentication (see AMEX);
3. As on website, delete option of authenticating with Skymiles number.

2 & 3 should have been addressed nearly a year ago. Delta could move a bit faster.

Comment

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
App is pretty good but it needs:
1. Apple Pay as option for any activity requiring payment;
2. TouchID for authentication (see AMEX);
3. As on website, delete option of authenticating with Skymiles number.

2 & 3 should have been addressed nearly a year ago. Delta could move a bit faster.
The app needs a better airline. Delta is awful.

Comment

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The app needs a better airline. Delta is awful.

I've had good experiences with Delta, but I've only flown twice with Delta in the past year so I'm sure a more frequent Delta flyer can make a better judgment. For me my flight not being delayed and having a USB port at my seat to charge my iPhone & iPad is a good experience for me these days. The Delta app is pretty good as well. Once Delta refreshes their international widebody fleet, replacing 24-year-old plus B767-300ERs with new A330-900s on their US-Europe flights beginning in 2017/18, it will be even better.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.