Demand for the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigwayne3000, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

Ok so I'm in the Marine Reserves and am leaving tomorrow for my annual 2 week summer training. I will return on the 25th (day after the release.) Pre ordering begins on the 15th I believe? My question is, what was the original release like for the iPhone? Was it much like the iPad where it was very hard to get for months until demand finally subsided? I mean I'm still trying to get an iPad from BEst Buy and its as if they dont exist its just crazy. I don't want to have to be waiting into August to get this phone. I'm currently on VZW and using the BB Storm since its launch and its just downright awful. I dont know how much more I can stand of this.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the demand for the iPad, the 3Gs and the 3G, I expect it to be rather high. Camping out in front of an apple store high.

The option for ordering it online should hopefully mitigate the problem to some degree.

I may sound like a heretic but why not wait. I mean is you'll need to switch your phone number over to AT&T so that means a visit to a store, not online. Why wait in the lines, be crushed by an overwhelming amount of people in the stores. Wait two (maybe three) weeks afterward and you'll not be dealing with those crowds.

Its not like apple stop selling the phone on 26th of June.

3. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I bet this launch will probably be as big as the iPhone 3G launch was. So probably a lot more demand than the iPad.

4. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

When I got my first iphone i was on tmobile and I brouht my number over and i not once set foot in a at&t store you can port your number over from itunes.

5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I say it will be huge. Many people didn't get the 3GS due to contracts/no major changes. This will be just as big as the 3G if not bigger :)

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you preorder you will have no problem getting one. I don't know what the availability of Internet access is when you are on training, but maybe you can get a family member to order for you if you can't do it yourself.

Another tact would be to reserve in store then go to that store before you leave and talk w/ the manager and explain you have one reserved for p/u but you are in the Reserves and on training until the 25th. Ask if he will hold your reserve an extra day. I don't see why he/she would not do that for a Reservist. I would.

Beyond that I do not think supply will be as constrained as the iPad is. The fact they are launching in 10 countries (IIRC) plus BB/Radio Shack availability in addition to the 250+/- Apple stores in the US and UK tells me Apple is well stocked.

7. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

You'll be able to pre order online? If so I might be able to do that from my Storm than. I'll have that in the field with me so I may luck out than.