Demand will easily out strip supply

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, May 21, 2008.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Everybody should be prepared to wait for the iphone as worldwide demand will initially outstrip supply.

They are "only" going to make 1-3million initially followed by 8 million in the 4th Quarter (according to Bank of America )

With all the launch markets and the huge US and European demand they are going to be like Hens Teeth in Australia

I'm not trying to hype it up even more (as if this was possible anyway) but the world is fit to burst and everyone you speak to knows about it and desperately covets one.

This is a phenomina like the world has ever seen or will probably ever see again. You will be able to say I was there at those heady days when they launched the iphone worldwide.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

uh huh :p

Yeah, it'll be in demand. It'll be even more in demand once a one-click unlock is posted ;)

3. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

It might do. I doubt it though based on the initial product launch.

4. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

to be honest i think they're going to have to offer an unlocked version this time round. in countries where multiple carriers are supporting the new iphone, what if i buy it directly from an apple store? surely those iphones will be unlocked?

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wasn't it more like 300,000 for May, 3 million in June, then rocking off another 22 million till this model tapers down? (That's then roughly 2 million a month if the model is for 12 months). You seem to contradict yourself saying 1 million when your quote says 3 million for June.

Nokia I imagine has seen these numbers ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/28/foxconn-wins-3g-iphone-contract-3-million-units-shipping-in-jun/
    http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/1445938/
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080428PB202.html
    They're going off sources saying these are Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) numbers.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Fair point, but there's still nothing to say devices shipped to certain countries will only work there on specified carriers. Apple and the telcos are a bunch of weenies, I wouldn't put anything past them.

7. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

We might not need that either. With multiple carriers promising to sell the iPhone in the same country(I know Vodafone and Airtel will in India) I really doubt there will be any need to unlock. The current system of selling iPhones (at a fixed price point) might be completely discarded as we are hearing bout possible discounts and schemes to added to the iPhone. I wont be surprised if Apple announces iPhone 3G will be available without any carrier contract for a reasonable premium(unlike the one we get in France).

Once there is an unlocked version of iPhone is available, there will be no stopping the iPhone sales.

8. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

"Huge European demand" really?...they had to reduce the price of iphones in some European markets just to get rid of the initial launch stock and a lack of 3G wasn't the problem.
    Any European shortages shortages are more likely to be caused by carriers ordering conservative levels of stock to avoid having to discount a second time to stimulate interest.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Lack of 3G was definitely a large part of the problem, the other being awfully priced exclusivity deals.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

E.g. O2 Ireland. And their comments...

11. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Calm down, there'll be plenty to go around.

Do you think Apple will risk loosing profits by not meeting demand?

They dont use microsofts marketing teqniques of 'producing minimalst, to ramp up more hype' as this is an outdated strategy, due to the global technology market bursting with competitors.

12. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

If its so outdated, why is it working for the wii?

13. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

IMO it isn't, before Christmas you couldn't get hold of one for love nor money, now stores are bursting with them, therefore unable to generate the hype they once had. Dont get me wrong, I have one myself and think they are fantastic, but for alot of people they were novelty items. Now if nintendo produced a steady stream of them through Christmas and before people would see them as a strong games console competitor.

Just my thoughts.

14. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

O2 report that, of its non iphone users, 1.8% sent/received more than 25mb a month...which considering that the data bolt-on is only £7.50 a month indicates low interest in mobile phone internet access.

Indeed.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No doubt true enough, but then this is because mobile web browsing sucks on pretty much all phones...which is what Apple are trying to change, and to have a good mobile browsing experience you want 3G.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's of historical interest to look back to Nov 2006, months before the phone was publicly revealed.

There were many accurate news reports that Foxconn was going to build a new "iPhone" for Apple. They all said that there would be 12 million first models built.

Hon Hai gets order for 12 million iPhones- Nov 2006

Then overzealous analysts extrapolated it all to predict that Apple would ship 20-29 million phones in its first year:

Order and analysis - TUAW Nov 2006

Which we all know didn't happen. Just something to keep in mind.

17. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I think what peeps who are into gadgets/computers/mobiles/hifi etc tend to forget is that the vast majority of the population simply aren't interested. 60 plus million mobiles in the Uk with IIRC 20% 3G enabled but data usage is still very low (but admittedly on the increase). Even with the iphone the screen is too small to make browsing easy and video calls never took off like I thought it might. Certainly to maximise your market a mobile needs 3G, but I just can't see where a significant number of new buyers for iphones are going to come from unless (at least in the UK) carriers drastically reduce the cost of ownership.
    I certainly only bought my iphone because of this and other reputable websites giving jailbreaking instructions, I just wouldn't pay £35 a month to use a mobile...in fact I just renegotiated my contract - 275mins and 250 texts for £5 a month, I could have had the O2 data bolt on for an extra £5 but didn't bother (although I might still change my mind.)
    The addition of GPS to the new iphone OTOH would be very attractive as my old IPAQ 3630 running Tomtom is on its last legs.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The Korean and Japan markets may be part of the 3G release since it is required in these two countries.

This could create even more pent up buying demand.

19. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

:rolleyes:

Just keep repeating "it's only a phone, it's only a phone ..."

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you watched big brother, you might see the potential
    It's only a gameshow, it's only a gameshow lilt-

it's only an iphone, it's only an iphone...