Demise of iWeb - What now? Some advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markycol, Oct 24, 2011.

1. markycol macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Well after the release of the Lion OS, iCloud etc, I have come to realise that iWeb is coming to a demise.
    I have a couple (quite basic) websites that I use iWeb for. I don't know HTML at all. I started to learn it but got out of the IT industry about 8 years ago. Needless to say I don't know much now, and certainly couldn't develop a website using HTML.

So I am after some advice. What is the best website development software that I can replace iWeb with?
    I am aware of Adobe Dreamweaver but that is way too much money for what I need.
    I want something that will offer a decent semi-professional site, but not necessarily as professional as dreamweaver is capable of. So happy to come down a lot in price.
    I was looking around the £50-80 mark.

Can any body help? What should I go for, and what are the pro's and con's of each?

Thanking you in anticipation.
    Mark

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....my advice (as it often is) is to search the forum(s) before starting new threads. This has been asked a few times already and you'll find several suggestions and recommendations in this thread...oh yeah!

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Not a solution, but you might take the time to go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iweb.html and let apple know that you would like it if they would revive iWeb. I dont' know if it will help, but it can't hurt.

4. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

I'm using http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/ - Quick and Easy Web Builder.
    It's currently on beta but acts like a stable version. I think it's very easy to use it and GOT MUCH MORE Features than on iWeb. PM me incase you need help with it, I would glad helping.

5. sandimacd macrumors regular

sandimacd

What are using your website for?

Are you using your site for a store front or sharing images or a journal or other specific purpose?
    What will work best for you will depend on what you are using your web site for.

6. robertcloud macrumors newbie

I would suggest you looking into the wordpress framework. It has evolved beyond simple blogging and it is incredibly flexible, just find a theme that you like. Find a shared hosting company that has cpanel, I use bluehost which is excellent for my needs, and you can quickly and easily install wordpress installations.

Not to mention it being free.

7. johnclassick macrumors newbie

Wordpress

I would also suggest utilizing wordpress.org. It often creates better looking sites than iweb, and while totally different than iWeb, it is designed for the person that does not know a thing about code.

Go to godaddy, purchase a hosting package, and there is a wizard that walks you through setting up wordpress. You'll love it.

All About iWeb