Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Hey,

For the duration of the app store, there are two things that I've constantly thought about, and never really thought of sharing them here, so here goes.

Initially, where is the ability to get refunds on apps? I'm sure the app store would have to adhere to the sale of goods act and trade description act (and similar legislation in other countries), so why is it not possible to have a refund on an app that is not fit for purpose, or unusable due to bugs or alike?

Also, (this may be something that Apple plan to implement in the upcoming 3.0 update along with app subscriptions etc) why not provide developers with the option to use a demo framework, where apps are restricted to being executed X amount of times before the potential customer must pay for the app? If such a framework were to be implemented, this would provide potential customers the ability to test an app before they decide to purchase, so that they can gain an understanding of the feel of the app and to make sure it works.

I understand that some paid-for apps are effectively single-use, so they wouldn't have to use the framework, but if it were there, I'm sure various apps would be purchased more or even left alone if they were useless.

These are just my thoughts on how to improve customer experience with the app store.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I have received refunds for movies before. I am sure there is something in place in case something just isn't right. A lot of apps have light or free versions out that you can try. I doubt they are going to do anything different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.