Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airplay_mirroring_ipad_2.jpg

One of the new iOS 5 features quickly touched on by Apple yesterday in its iOS 5 introduction was AirPlay Mirroring for the iPad 2, enabling users to wirelessly transmit the on-screen content of the device to an Apple TV for display on a television. The iPad 2 currently supports display mirroring via a Digital AV Adapter that provides a wired connection to a TV via HDMI.

One of the criticisms of the wired mirroring has been the cumbersome nature of the dongle and cable hanging off of the end of the device, particularly when it comes to games and other apps that require movement of the device for input purposes. Consequently, AirPlay Mirroring should be a significant boon to those looking to display their iPad content on the larger screen, especially if lag is minimal.

While the AirPlay Mirroring is a fairly basic concept in principle, this YouTube video is still an interesting look at the functionality:

">​

And while the video does not directly address how much lag there is, the poster notes that the feature "works beautifully".

Update: And here is another video:

Article Link: Demo of iPad's AirPlay Mirroring in iOS 5

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

One of the new iOS 5 features quickly touched on by Apple yesterday in its iOS 5 introduction was AirPlay Mirroring for the iPad 2, enabling users to wirelessly transmit the on-screen content of the device to an Apple TV for display on a television. The iPad 2 currently supports display mirroring via a Digital AV Adapter that provides a wired connection to a TV via HDMI.

One of the criticisms of the wired mirroring has been the cumbersome nature of the dongle and cable hanging off of the end of the device, particularly when it comes to games and other apps that require movement of the device for input purposes. Consequently, AirPlay Mirroring should be a significant boon to those looking to display their iPad content on the larger screen, especially if lag is minimal.

While the AirPlay Mirroring is a fairly basic concept in principle, this YouTube video is still an interesting look at the functionality:

YouTube: video">​
And while the video does not directly address how much lag there is, the poster notes that the feature "works beautifully".

Article Link: Demo of iPad's AirPlay Mirroring in iOS 5
This is so cool. Wonder why it's iPad specific? Resolution?

mikekow80

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Just iPad 2? No iPad 1 or iphone 4 support? Really hoping to hold out till iPad 3 for an upgrade but this might change that plan.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Is this via AppleTV only? Or can it be done on a PC via iTunes?

I could see some potential applications for this in teaching - using a projector on the classroom computer - and being able to wirelessly show what I am doing on my iPad.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never expected this. Video is one thing—it’s already compressed, so I might have guessed it could be transmitted a lot more easily than asking the iPad to compress its own live image on the fly, while using its RAM and CPU to run the app as well!

There has to be at least some lag, and some processor overhead. It’s like VNC essentially. I doubt fast games would work well (maybe puzzle games and turn-based strategy?) but lots of uses don’t demand lightning speed.

This sounds great! I’d use it to show web pages, for sure, and maybe for design sketching with Procreate or whatever.

sounded like apple tv only during the keynote yesterday

Yes. Still, some enterprising hacker might figure out how to receive the transmission on a Mac/PC which would be awesome! Especially since my main TV is an iMac.

Trooperof3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Meh...

Its cool, but i was hoping for more interaction. i have to look down at my ipad the entire time.. ..

I guess i don't want mirroring, i want it to be my controller and watch/play via tv screen.

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
Looks like this will work with slingplayer and the cablevision app. Now I don't need a DVR for my bedroom.

whoami

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Now it's perfectly clear why 4:3 was a bad idea for the iPhone/iPad!

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

mikekow80 said:
Just iPad 2? No iPad 1 or iphone 4 support? Really hoping to hold out till iPad 3 for an upgrade but this might change that plan.

My thoughts exactly!

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great! This looks fantastic, - BUT, does anybody know if this requires both iOS Devices on 5.0?
Or I'd it just the iPad that's needed on iOS5?

Looking forward to doing this..

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe the ATV has to be on the iOS5 beta too? I've tried it with mine. But I don't have a Micro USB cable to update the ATV software :(

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011

Could anybody confirm this?

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Question to someone who is actually running this setup:
What resolution is the iPad2 content displayed at?

I assume that the screenshots/videos I've seen are all on 1080p televisions since I see black bars around the iPad image. And it also looks like the image isn't stretched to fill more of the screen since there are even bars on the top and bottom, not just left and right. (yes, I fully understand there'd always be bars on the left/right to account for the 16:9 vs. 4:3 ratio difference)

But I ask the resolution question because the Apple TV's specs say it outputs 720p (1280x720p). How does it do the 768 part of the iPad's 1024x768 resolution? Are 48 pixels cropped off the iPad's image? Does it squish the image down to 1024x720? Does it actually show 768 rows of pixels and thus the 720p limit is in fact a software limit that's ignored for iPad mirroring?

eplekjekk

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Now it's perfectly clear why 4:3 was a bad idea for the iPhone/iPad!
Yes, because airplay mirroring is the most case scenario for both devices.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Yes, because airplay mirroring is the most case scenario for both devices.
Well, even if Apple really insisted that a 4:3 ratio was the most ergonomic or whatever for the optimum tablet experience (sometimes I agree that 16:9 feels too wide when you hold it), they could have at least picked a resolution that aligned better with the rest of the digital world, like 1440x1080.

eplekjekk

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Well, even if Apple really insisted that a 4:3 ratio was the most ergonomic or whatever for the optimum tablet experience (sometimes I agree that 16:9 feels too wide when you hold it), they could have at least picked a resolution that aligned better with the rest of the digital world, like 1440x1080.

That's a point I agree a bit more with. I love my iPad, but since I recently got the iPhone 4, it's momentarily a downer returning to the iPad and the dpi it got.

But, it's probably not easy guessing every scenario and possibilities for a product that have been many years in the making.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Is this via AppleTV only? Or can it be done on a PC via iTunes?

I could see some potential applications for this in teaching - using a projector on the classroom computer - and being able to wirelessly show what I am doing on my iPad.

It's AppleTV only at this point.

does the atv2 need to be updated to a beta, or just the ipad2?

There is an update to the AppleTV that is only available to IOS developers.

I have iPad2 with iOS 5 beta and an AppleTV2, but the option to do mirroring is not there. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Assuming that you have updated your AppleTV to the beta version, when you swipe to get to the Airplay option, you will see an indented option under your AppleTV that turns the mirroring on.

Great! This looks fantastic, - BUT, does anybody know if this requires both iOS Devices on 5.0?
Or I'd it just the iPad that's needed on iOS5?

Looking forward to doing this..

iPad must be on IOS 5 and AppleTV updated with beta version of OS (don't remember the version)

Does the ATV need to have it's UDID registered?

No

Question to someone who is actually running this setup:
What resolution is the iPad2 content displayed at?

I assume that the screenshots/videos I've seen are all on 1080p televisions since I see black bars around the iPad image. And it also looks like the image isn't stretched to fill more of the screen since there are even bars on the top and bottom, not just left and right. (yes, I fully understand there'd always be bars on the left/right to account for the 16:9 vs. 4:3 ratio difference)

But I ask the resolution question because the Apple TV's specs say it outputs 720p (1280x720p). How does it do the 768 part of the iPad's 1024x768 resolution? Are 48 pixels cropped off the iPad's image? Does it squish the image down to 1024x720? Does it actually show 768 rows of pixels and thus the 720p limit is in fact a software limit that's ignored for iPad mirroring?

On my Sony Bravia it looks pretty much like the picture at the top of this thread, except that I have some black banding at the top and bottom. I'm sure if I play around with it, I can get rid of those. It doesn't seem as crisp as when I use the HDMI dongle and definitely laggier.

It is pretty cool to play around with, although it is pretty laggy. I don't think it would work well at this point for playing games. It is cool though. :)

Last edited:

tpelton

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Can it show where your fingers are touching...

It would be really helpful if the mirroring function could show a ghost of the gestures/touches that are happening on the iPad. Especially for demonstrating and discussing apps in school.

Also it would be great if there was some easy way to record the activity on the screen (with the touch images too) for demos.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
It would be really helpful if the mirroring function could show a ghost of the gestures/touches that are happening on the iPad. Especially for demonstrating and discussing apps in school.

Also it would be great if there was some easy way to record the activity on the screen (with the touch images too) for demos.

That would be great. I actually initially figured the HDMI dongle would be a great way to show somebody else how to use certain programs, but when I actually went to do that, I had to keep showing them my iPad and say, click on this and swipe that etc... Kind of defeats the purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.