demo, open box macbooks.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nicque, Feb 5, 2008.

1. nicque macrumors regular

Do any of you guys know where you can get good deals on demo units around $700ish?

2. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

My assumption would be that Apple cycles their demo units into their refurb process. First, I'd expect the obvious time delay associated with that. Second, I'd assume demo units would not enter this phase unless a) they break, b) the product sku is being phased out in place of an upgrade. Besides, I don't think you'd find something labled "demo". I know I've never seen anything in an Apple store sold as an open box. I've seen a few at Best Buy, but I'm not sure if they are supposed. Similarly, I don't think you could count on any of those with regularity.

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The refurb store probably have macbooks in that price range. The advantage with these over demos, is that any faulty hardware has been replaced and dirty cases have been cleaned/replaced. Have you seen the demo macbooks in an apple store? They are filthy! One more advantage with refurbs is you still get 1 yr warranty, that can be extended to 3 years with apple care.

4. eswank macrumors 6502

I would try a local electronic store that sells Apple products. We have a locale store here, Nebraska Furniture Mart, that has an electronic department with open box/demo units that have very nice price tags on them. I would just ask the local stores if they have the older machines when a new one is announce. Maybe you'll get lucky and have them hook you up!