Demo reel critique

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by trudd, Sep 3, 2008.

1. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

Looking for some feedback on my demo reel. Once a few more current projects are completed I'll be replacing some footage. However I would also appreciate some feedback just in case I looked over something that you all feel would take some fixing.

Thanks for watching!

http://vimeo.com/1052384

2. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Very nice. What camera do you use? Nice pacing too. Where's the music from?

3. trudd thread starter macrumors regular

trudd

From the link:

"Cameras used:
    Canon GL2
    Canon XH-A1 (stock and with Letus Extreme)
    Sony F750
    Sony F900
    Sony V1U

Music: "Ruby's Wishes" by Unwed Sailor"

The footage I used most was from the Canon XH-A1 + Letus Extreme

4. isethx macrumors regular

i LOVED it. the very first thought that comes to my mind is very professional. the camera shots are beautiful. i love the mix of shots and especially the close ups. it also has a very nice flow and a great variety of material!

well done!

5. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

That was great. The Letus Extreme really makes a difference. Great composition, too. The shot of the father and child playing through the row of playground rings was particularly good.

6. msft138 macrumors newbie

msft138

7. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Great stuff.

There are a few shots that seem out of place compared to the drama shots: Water swelling and the F/16 fighter. (Admittedly the F/16 makes more sense once seeing the resulting military images).

The F-16 tracking shot is amazing given that I'm assuming you were on the ground from quite a distance away, but as a result the image is quite grainy. While it shows your skill as a camera operator, the grain is a bit distracting compared to other vivid and lovely shots. Could go either way?

I'm not sure your last shot choice is your strongest to end on? The visual break up of the sidewalk and people, the blue sky, then the white layer of clouds is almost like a visual splatter of information. It's a bit hard to focus on one thing and therefore left me thinking, "What was that all about?" at the end instead of simply enjoying your great work and saying, "Woah, this guy's got some real talent. Joe, get on the phone, this guy is hired!"

I love how well you handle rack focus and maintaining focus on your subjects.

I love sunset shot with the man and woman standing on top of a hill, reminds me very much of Bergman's "The Seventh Seal."

Overall good work!

8. trudd thread starter macrumors regular

trudd

Finally, a critique! Thanks for all the other comments as well.

I agree about the F16 shot. I included some doc work toward the end, but I think I'll take it out in the next version since I want to do narrative/commercial work. I have several days of footage from the Pearl Harbor doc as well as footage I shot in Honduras that didn't make the cut. Some of it looks great, but like you said it doesn't quite fit.

I like the water swelling, but I agree it doesn't quite fit because nearly all of my other shots are of people. I need to include other interesting b-roll shots as well so it doesn't stand out so much.

Also, the F16 and airplane footage was shot at 60i, while nearly everything else was 24p. Originally the f16 footage is pretty smooth, but dropping the clip into a 24p timeline messed with things a bit.

I like the last shot, considering I had the documentary stuff in there. It had natural closure, though it probably won't make the next cut after I add new material.