Demo Reel Feedback Wanted...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by corywoolf, Sep 1, 2008.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Hello all my MR friends,

Please take a couple minutes to watch and provide honest feedback about my new reel. I have cut a lot of older footage out that appeared in my previous reel. I am thinking about scrapping the DVD menus (motion graphics) near the beginning because the quality of the footage is poor compared to other parts of the video. This is due to using analog to digital capture of the DVD menus, since I have no screen recording software. Let me know what you think should stay or go. I tried to detach myself from the fact that it is my work and sometimes deleting something that took ages to make and leaving something that was a quick job is hard to do. Be honest and feel free to bash the heck out of it!

http://proedgeprod.com/demoreel.html

- Cory

Edit: Here's a link to an old thread of mine about my last reel, which I took offline awhile ago.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think it looks pretty good. I think the biggest help I could give is that I think it should be more focused. What is this reel supposed to convey? Are you going for camera work, editing, motion graphics? Watching this I don't get a clear picture.

It might be a better idea to make multiple demo reels for the different areas you work in. I would say that this applies especially to the DVD menus (as you already mentioned).

P-Worm

3. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Good points, thanks. I don't think I have enough motion graphics work to display by itself at this time. Maybe I will just drop everything but the camera and editing work. Do you think I should trash the concert footage too?

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Ditto to what P-Worm said and I would slow down the transitions - it is too frantic - not enough time to watch and get whatever you are trying to convey.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i liked it. How'd you do the outline of the wakeboarder and microphone?
    Only thing i noticed is that you used a template for the "over there" lower third.
    I'm not a fan of putting pre-done stuff cause to me looks cheesy and lazy esp. if your showing it off to experience editors IMO

6. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Trapcode 3D Stroke, Glow, and Shine. I agree, I think I will take out the template lower third, since it might make people think the rest is template based too (it's not).