demo sites on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sk3pt1c, Aug 20, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i may be trying to find excuses to get me an iphone but consider this...

you are having coffee with some friends or walking past a store or a business of some sort and you walk in to offer your services.
    they guy says: "i'd like to see some of your work."

since you don't happen to have your notebook with you:

option1: you give him your business card that's got your personal website on it (which means you should actually have a personal website in the first place), which is where he/she can see your portfolio...

option2:you whip out your iphone and (since it's got a "proper" browser that displays pages the way they actually do look on the web) you show him the websites you've created right there and then.

now, two issues that come out of this

one:if you try to actually browse to your personal website and show him your portfolio, that'd take ages considering there probably won't be a wireless network nearby.

two:you could (in theory) have all your portfolio on your iphone and just open the pages locally and show him your sites, give him an initial preview so he can then get more interested and check them out on his computer.
    but, can you actually do that? can you open html files that are stored locally on your iphone via its Safari?

thoughts/opinions/answers? :)

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Bad idea, what client wants to see a professionals work on a tiny gizmos screen, and for that matter what what professional would want to show of there work on a tiny screen.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

you missed my point, this is in the case when an opportunity to get a client pops up when you least expect it, i think it'd be better to actually show some of the portfolio there and then to excite interest and let the client browse through your website at their leisure later on.
    thing is, is it doable?
    can you open pages stored localy on the iphone using safari?

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Yes one can though it requires a bit of work. I think this would work:

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/store-and-view-files-on-iphone-as-a-bookmark

I remember seeing a different similiar story on that site, If I find it I will update.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

that looks a bit buggy to me...
    plus, will you be able to use the links on the pages and so on?
    so, there's no easy way to do this?
    no "open file" in iPhone's Safari?