Demon's Souls

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Apr 23, 2009.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've been following this game from last year and at first sight it appeared to be one of those "meh" games but I researched it and watched people play it on justin.tv and it seems really interesting...kinda like a darker more violent Oblivion.

Heres a review that I just read.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/demons-souls-review?page=1

Seems like this game is not for the gamer that hate challenge.

I'm really hoping they release it in the NA region because it seems to be one of those action RPG with substance.

Bless

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Looks great!

Although I'm a little skeptical of From Software after Ninja Blade! :D

Definitely one to keep an eye on though.

3. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No EU release date though. Thank goodness for Region Free PS3 gaming.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

then just order the Asian version, which has English dubs, voice and text.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Its hard getting hold of Asian versions. A lot of the online retailers wont ship to EU after the LikSang incident.

edit....

But just ordered it from Ebay...... Thanks Sikkinixx :rolleyes: :D

7. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

8. e.m. macrumors 6502

I've been playing this game for a bit, it is indeed awesome. If you like action RPGs, it's a must have.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Had it a while it's very good. Was so tempted to sell my asian copy and pre-order a USA copy with the limited edition musical score CD and artwork book.

10. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

I've been looking forward to this game for the past.. 6 months or so. I was minutes away from importing from Play-Asia when I got distracted, next day I saw it was going to be released here.

I'm very worried it might be too tough for me though, as I played through the Sega Genesis collection I realized how papered I've been by these past two generations, most of the games I were better at when I was 6 because deaths back then meant something, now they just mean you go 5 feet back with a checkpoint.

We'll see, hopefully I'll adjust, because it seems like my kind of game, worse case is Uncharted 2 is right in the area.

11. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I'm from the old school of gaming and i'm use to ramped up difficulty so this should be a welcome challenge from the hand holding most games do this generation.

I really want to order the deluxe version...the strategy guide looks like its really needed for this game and I want the soundtrack. I wished they kept the Asian box art on the NA version because it looks great...another reason why I want the deluxe version.

Deluxe version unboxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhlr1tAqljk

Bless

12. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I got the game today, unfortunately I wasn't able to purchase the deluxe edition:( but I did get the artbook and soundtrack. I haven't played it yet and I don't think I will until the weekend but the good reviews are pouring in from all over the place.

Looks like this is the RPG to beat this year and its scoring just as good as the big boys(Uncharted 2, Batman AA, Killzone 2)

Bless

13. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

This game is kicking my ass! I was hooked on Uncharted 2 demo until I picked DS (deluxe) at Fry's for $60.

I am hooked!

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

i was in Sicily all week, arrived back to Ireland to find my USA copy had arrived Booted the game to discover it wont load my Asian save. :(

15. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I just wrote a review but for some weird reason it didn't go through and I'm not writing that again so I'm just going to grade the game:

9/10 ....excellent game that will keep you on your toes.

I'm playing as a Knight trying to balance my combat with magic because you will need range to keep some of those beast at bay.

MRU, I've read numerous post from Atlus PR that Asian saves won't work with the NA release and the servers will be seperated....yeah sucks I know.

PS: If you are interested in this game, try to get the deluxe version with the strategy guide(I exchanged my standard edition with the deluxe and it was well worth it)

Bless

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So what class of character are you all playing as....

I'm a wuss and I'm using the Royal. The game is hard enough that I need all the help I can. :p

Annoyed my Asian save won't work so I'm having to replay some of the torture all over again :)

17. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^You're going to have a hard time later on...the royals are weak in sword play and you'll have to use the majority of your souls on combat skills which you will need because some demons are resistant to magic. I'm playing as a knight because I think its in the middle of all the classes with its skills and easily upgrade to perform spells/miracles.

Right now I've only completed 1-1, 1-2 and will take on 2-1 this weekend after my Uncharted 2 marathon.

Maybe we can help each other with a boss battle sometime.

Bless

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just got this game yesterday and kinda feel late to the party. I started as a thief and died during the tutorial (big guy got me). I understand how to fight but I don't quite understand... "the game". I even *gasp* resorted to reading the manual. Is there a short 1-page about the game somewhere that can be read to understand the dang thing? I played the game for maybe an hour and once I died and realized I had to learn even more stuff I literally just shut off the PS3. I'm so used to being coddled... maybe I just need to man up. :)

19. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

What would you like know...The class you picked is very good at finding and sneaking which should give you the edge on unaware foes but your starting armor and combat skills are weak compared to the Temple Knight, Knight and Barbarian...of course it won't matter when you level up your stats but for the 1 few levels you'll have to deal with it.

To get a better understanding of leveling up and combat/online then check out the wiki site.
    http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Theres no hand holding in this game...they start you in the right direction then its up to you to take it on as you see fit....enjoy dying:)

Bless

20. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Atlus is having a holiday "white world tendency" week so if you guys are having a hard time with certain levels then this is the time to overcome them when the monsters/guards are weaker than normal(drop rate will be lower though)

I already grab myself the brushwood armor and finally met up with Sauski(sp) who then proceeded to kick the living **** outta of me for his sword.

Bless

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good I might give it a go again. I gave up a few weeks back in frustration.

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I got past the Phalanx and got to the next boss in that area... got him "down" once but then he kicked my butt after that. Very fun game but I can only usually play it for 1 or 2 deaths in a row.

23. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Just beat it for my first time through. Now time to put it away for a good half a year and hope they don't shut the servers off.... Ended at soul level 100, and spent a good portion getting levels to be pure black to get some special items.

It's all about the weapons, not so much your stats as far as offline mode goes. Online, make a character that plays to your weapons added parameters.

I did feel that levels 3-5 were a disappointment, as well as their bosses. Bosses in level 1 were hard enough, and the Old hero was a biatch, the rest...meh, too easy. Second playthrough's should be a walk in the park IMO as one should remember the nuances, and level layout.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ My god you must have no life :D seriously the amount of hours to complete must have been scary. I'm still only just past the first boss months later :D:D

25. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Not at all, just about 40hrs. Don't die so much and you won't waste time ;-) It's really not a hard game at all. Blue phantoms help a ton, however I didn't go that route often because I didn't want to risk dying in body form. I saved dying in body form for the Tower of Latria levels. That place is pure black tendency...

About no life, I was going to say the same to the kid in the Dead Space 2 thread who bought an Issac action toy ;-). ....and hes still in college playing with action figures. DAAAAAAMMMNNN.

BTW if peeps want help, heres the ultimate resource:
    http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/