Demystifying "notify me" Bell

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Tulani, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Please help clarify

1. After setting the Bell, when you get a response from anyone in that email thread, you will get a notification from the Mail app indicating a response to that specific email.(Will this be any different if one has already enabled notifications and email to show on the lock screen?)

2. Can this Bell notify me facility be used to Alert if one's email has been received &/ read even without it being replied to?

Thank you

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

1. It will notify you similarly to how it notifies you of other emails, if you have that enabled for other emails. You can set up a different alert sound I believe in notification settings for it if you want.

2. This doesn't really have anything to do with delivery/read receipts, which are something different. You might need to use a different app for that like perhaps http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/28/ma...tionality-to-apples-default-mail-application/ or something like that (like Outlook on a desktop computer essentially).

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

The Notify Me thing is marketed really badly imo. It only applies to the default notification settings for Mail, which is not to show a banner or show on lock screen etc. In contrast the default for Notify me is the opposite. However if you have changed the default Mail notifications then there can be literally nothing to distinguish them. In which case they really need to market it as 'a third notification style for Mail' (Normal + VIP + 'Notify Me').

It is possible for someone to set it up to do exactly the opposite. e.g. Normal emails show a banner, show on lock screen, but threads you have marked as 'Notify Me' are the exception - you have set the notification style for this to not show banners, not show on lock screen. A way to 'Mute' emails, totally the opposite!

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's basically how I understood them to work when they were announced and I looked into it a bit. Basically useful in particular for those who don't have every new mail set to notify them or only have it set to use badges or something like that, while this can be set to appear on lock screen in addition to bring more importance to it. I believe the sound can be set to be different as well, which can be helpful to some to distinguish those from regular mail.

5. Tulani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Thanks for the replies.
    I am personally finding this potentially useful new technical additional rather a bit vague.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do you have things set so that you get notified of every new email?

7. Tulani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tulani

I already have notifications set to appear on my screen for any email that comes so this is already overshadowed.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, in that case it's not as useful, although you can still set it to differentiate as far as what alert is being used, for example. That's one of the uses for it, although the bigger use is probably for those who don't have things set to be notified about every email (if they have a lot coming in usually, for example) but would like to be notified about a few particular ones that they want to follow.