Denied Barclays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whatlifeforme, Jul 10, 2011.

1. whatlifeforme, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

whatlifeforme macrumors member

Hey, I have been a reader of these forums for a few years now, but just registered.

I am am a college student hoping to obtain a macbook pro for my college experience. I applied for barclays through apple, and a few student credit cards, but was denied by all, ouch!

Thus, now I have quite a bit of inquiries on my credit reports, with no active lines of credit. What do you suggest? I suppose student loans. :apple:

I am in the United States.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you in the uk?? If so capital one will give you a basic card to build a history with.

If not go to your bank and actually speak to an adviser.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

What were you going to do on the computer? Perhaps an older model would work, even a PowerBook. They work great for a lot of tasks. Plus you can get one for ~$200 and sell it for the same later. Could help you until you saved enough for a newer computer.

Would your parents do the barclays and have you pay for it? Or just pay them back.

You could also get a school loan and use it for a computer.

Get a job?

Just use the computers in the computer lab?

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I started school a couple years ago and the credit cards that have a line of credit over $300-$500 may deny you based on the fact that you probably do not have a stable credit history and a secure source of income. I went with the ZYNC card from AMEX and I purchased my MBP that way. There is a $25 annual fee and I think the card was geared towards students when I applied for one.

Also, student loans are possible. When doing my loans, I was able to factor in my personal expenses and needs (not all loans have this option) along with my tuition.

5. whatlifeforme, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011

whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

yeah, my goal is to get an AMEX. I applied for one even though they are not very obtainable as your first card. I think I applied for the amex blue, but was denied of course. They did not have a particular "student card," that I could find.

no, i am in the United States. I went to my bank because they sent me multiple offers for a student card, not secured, and I finally applied, but was denied. I asked them about it, and basically they had no suggestions since I had no source of income.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Try the ZYNC card. When I first got it, I just put student on the occupation and I got my card the next week after.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Amex definitely has student cards, in fact if you use their "card chooser" on their site, one of the boxes is "I am a student".

But, if you've already been denied so many times I wouldn't count on getting any card that isn't issued by your bank. I would contact your bank first thing and see what they offer you. Almost all banks offer some sort of student card or low-limit card to just about anyone as long as you have enough money with them. Make sure its a true credit card though, not a Visa or Mastercard debit card, as that won't do you any good.

Use the card for a year or more before even thinking about applying for anymore lines of credit. Also, do yourself a favor and lookup ways to build your credit. There are some general 'rules' to follow on how to use your credit card to maximize its benefit to your credit.

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

9. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I got my first card from Bank of America about 18 months ago with a $700 limit (I'm 19 and a full-time student in the US). Check with your bank. Most banks will give you a student card if you've had accounts with them for a while and they are in good standing.

Other option to look into are store cards. Store cards are easier to qualify for.

As a last resort, look into a secured credit card. They are given to almost anyone since you deposit whatever amount you want to be your limit. For example, if you need a $500 limit, you give the bank $500 and they put it into an account that earns interest and you have a card with a $500 limit. The card works like a regular card -- you make payments every month, you pay interest on a partial payment, etc. Most banks will offer you a regular card after a year or so of having the secured card.

You aren't going to get a limit over $1000 for your first card, unless you have a very high income or your parents co-sign (which you should avoid if you can). After you've had the card for a year or so you have a chance at getting a card with a higher limit.

10. CD4287 macrumors newbie

The best thing to do is to get a very low limit card (preferably when you are 16) and buy something every month and pay it off every month, even if it's just a candy bar.
    I got my first credit card when I was 14 (from my credit union), got my first non-bank credit card when I was 16, and by the time I was 21 had more then $100,000 line of credit because I pay all my bills in full every month. I mainly use my AmEx because it gets the most reward points and I don't do store cards unless I'm making a very large purchase and get a discount at time (furniture at Macy's, large jewelry purchases, etc).

How old are you that you have no income?

11. whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

age 21.

12. CD4287 macrumors newbie

In the US the legal age to work with permit is 14 and at 21 there are no barriers to working. I suggest you look around and see if you can't find a job. What's unemployment like in your town?