Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theemptycanvas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
So I got my Macbook Pro about a couple months ago. So about a few hours ago, during class, I took out my Macbook to take some notes for a test. When I looked at the cd drive, I noticed a HUGE!!! dent on the side and a smaller dent on the top of the LCD screen.

I bought the Macbook Pro with a apple care protection plan, and now I can't even use my CD drive. I am always very careful with eletronics and I am still puzzled by how this happened (I have it in a case the whole time, I never never drop my backpack, or let anyone touch it). I am not sure if it's more than a cosmetics issue, since it's making my LCD screen look weird, and I can't put CDs in it. Some advice would be nice :)

Here are some pictures:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/TheEmptyCanvas/SSPX0020.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/TheEmptyCanvas/SSPX0018-1.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/TheEmptyCanvas/SSPX0018.jpg

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Ouch!

What kind of case do you have? I'm surprised that kind of damaged occurred despite being in a case.

It definitely is no longer an issue of cosmetics. I would bring it to an Apple Store and ask them about your options and whether you'd have to pay, with or without applecare.

theemptycanvas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Ouch!

What kind of case do you have? I'm surprised that kind of damaged occurred despite being in a case.

Oh gosh I know. I have one of those Tucano Second Skin Folder cases. I am seriously not even sure how it happended, because if you were to feel the case, the edges are nice and extra durable. The case it's self is pretty thick too :( So much for a case. I find it funny that I usually don't mind small dents, like if front of the case had a small little dent, I would still not mind, but this is just making me want to cry. If I dropped it, I would take responsibility and totally blame my self, but I didn't drop it.

Zegna

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
North America
That is such a massive dent.

My suggestion for you is try bring it to an Apple Store and explain your story. I'm sure they would know if it was dropped or not, so it will only makes things easier for you during the negotiation.

Radam

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
I'm afraid that you won't be able to get any help from your apple care, because if its something that big they won't believe that you didn't drop it or didn't sit on it.

I sent my Ipod in for repair because the battery was acting funny, and there is a little tiny dent that can't be seen unless you are looking for it, and they said that i had to pay full price because they think i did it, which was not the case. Apple's products are amazing but they won't give when it come to repairs.

If i were you i could head over to http://www.Ifixit.com and try and put up the case from there. It would be alot less than if you sent it into apple

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
If it's not apples fault apple care won't do much for you. It would take quite a hit to do that reguardless of who did it or what did it.. It didn't just happen by sitting in the case.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
This was something I was always worried about with my powerbook. I wasn't as much worried about a dent like that, but more of "bending it" or something like that. Since I have gotten my MB, I dont' worry too much about it. (though that might be because it cost me a 1000 less than the powerbook did :) ).

Kimo

Radam

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
I would get a hard case if i were you, I have an Incase backpack and its not hard, but its a lot better than those soft cases, I mean the MBP is 2000 bucks spending another 100 or so to keep it safe is alright in my book.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
You're going to have a tough time with applecare, it definitely looks like it was dropped or something heavy landed on it.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
looks to me like somebody stepped on it and crushed the edge. i would talk to a genius about what apple could do. but don't get your hopes up. in the end i think you will have to go to ifixit.com and take your MBP apart, bend the case into shape and hope for the best.

i wouldn't touch the LCD part unless the screen itself is damaged. but bending the case around the dvd drive in shape to get it functional shouldn't be too hard. the looks are ruined anyway.:(

rafg

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2007
Just tell them that for some reason your cd drive is not working. Send it to them and let them see what they do. What do you have to lose?

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
So I got my Macbook Pro about a couple months ago. So about a few hours ago, during class, I took out my Macbook to take some notes for a test. When I looked at the cd drive, I noticed a HUGE!!! dent on the side and a smaller dent on the top of the LCD screen.

I bought the Macbook Pro with a apple care protection plan, and now I can't even use my CD drive. I am always very careful with eletronics and I am still puzzled by how this happened (I have it in a case the whole time, I never never drop my backpack, or let anyone touch it). I am not sure if it's more than a cosmetics issue, since it's making my LCD screen look weird, and I can't put CDs in it. Some advice would be nice :)

Here are some pictures:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/TheEmptyCanvas/SSPX0020.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/TheEmptyCanvas/SSPX0018-1.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/TheEmptyCanvas/SSPX0018.jpg

And I thought my MacBook Pro had problems... Now would be a cool time to experiment for you. try modding it yourself :)

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Firstly AppleCare will NOT cover any of this.

This is gonna be a really expensive repair. The display casing cannot be changed. Only the whole display assembly can be changed. And as its damaged then it cannot be exchanged only bought outright which is super expensive.

Do you have insurance?

If not then I would suggest selling it on eBay as seen, then buy a new MacBook Pro.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
I have a "Valuable Items" Policy from Chubb

that covers my computers, cameras, jewelry and gun(s). It is an ALL RISK / REPLACEMENT COST policy that covers ANYTHING that goes wrong with the items covered regardless of reason - damage, theft, lost item, dropped item, etc. . .and it is PRIMARY which means it comes first (you don't have to claim on homeowners first). The cost for my 17 MBP C2D is 35/year. . .while it won't help you (and neither will Applecare) the rest of you should consider such a policy.

Adam

karichelle

macrumors member
May 26, 2006
Ohio
Since you didn't drop it, what I'm wondering is, was your backpack extremely full that day? Is it possible that it just got slowly squashed instead of violently smashed?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Damn! that thing looks CRUSHED. I've carried my MBP around in a backpack with just a protective sleeve on it for a month and nothing like that happened.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
It is definitely not a cosmetic issue.

I am pretty sure there's some abuse going on there (not necessarily by you) but such things don't "just happen" for no reason.

theemptycanvas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
No abuse, diffently no abuse. I am not still sure how it got in the condition it is. I called Applecare and the guy was really nice and understanding and said to bring it to one of the stores that offers service and if they wont accept it, he said to call back and talk to the customer relations. He basically said to me that you have to push your way up.

I also forgot to mention guys that, when I did buy this Macbook Pro, the case/screen would never shut properly and the right side would kind of lift up (I noticed this right when I bought it). A friend of mine told me it should not really be a problem, and said not to worry about it. I am not sure if there is any correlation, but when I go to the service place, I will ask them about that too because it's been bothering the crap out of me.

As for the dent or whatever happened, I am dealing ok. I just can't use the DVD drive, which kind of bums me out. I plan on going on Saturday to go visit the store, and I wont take no for a answer less I can talk to a supervisor or a manger about the issue (I've been there before, some of the people at the store are pretty incompetent) Thanks for all your support guys, I will keep you updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.