Dent in Mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quadcoreguy, Apr 30, 2011.

1. quadcoreguy macrumors member

Heyy guys i just received my 2011 15" Macbook Pro. Been having a great time with this beast until this morning. I noticed what seemed to be a small little chip on the frame next to the bezel. It's annoying to know you've paid a premium and got a defective product.I'm deciding if i wanna send it back as i've waited 2 years to order one of these beast and just having it for 3 days and have to send it back. Any opinions on this? should i just go ahead and use it and cover it with a Speck case of send it back? Thanks guys:(

Attached Files:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I honestly can't see it in the pic. But it's quite possible that you may have inadvertently made a small nick in it, as the edges of the aluminum are pretty prone to that. I'd pass on returning it though, as that is guaranteed to happen later anyway. They may not even replace it for something as small as that anyhow.

3. darknite38 macrumors regular

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I can't see the dent either the picture is too blurry. Aluminum is soft and dings and dents easily. You could have done it and never realized it. If it wasn't you and you want another one take it back immediately.

5. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

if you hold it up to the right light, you will see on any mbp that there are small nicks like that all over the edges of a mbp. the manufacturing process and the choice of materials is basically the cause for this. I didnt see the nick on your mbp at first (I thought it was dust on my screen), but I see it now, and I checked my mbp for comparison. yours does seem it has a brighter speck than mine, but it could just be the light and angle. If its an exceptionally deep nick and its bothering theres no harm in getting it looked at at apple, and if they replace it thats good, if not then that will still give you peace of mind

6. dslrjunky macrumors regular

i would be more concern of how that macbook pro shakes, did you took the pic while the drives are spinning or is that the quads at work? :D

7. Amerabian macrumors regular

Hi there!

I can understand your frustration about that little " . " in the frame.

I myself worry even about how much particles are in the air that are building up on the fans (my MBP is 3 days old). :D

But really, all you have to think about is that your MBP WILL collect "history" from the inside out. It's just how life works!

Consider them tattoos, or read about meditation, that might help! :p

8. Chazn macrumors regular

Another pic

Do you mind taking a clearer photo? thanks!

9. quadcoreguy thread starter macrumors member

HEeyy guys that's the clearest i could get . thanks for the suggestions. i havent been knocking it around so most probably factory defect ;) there's no apple store where i live, only resellers.

10. mape2k macrumors regular

Makes me wonder how your family portraits look like :D

Like others said, you could have done it without even noticing. I would diagnose an over-protective new owner syndrome (ONOS). It will probably happen again in some time, so get over it and enjoy your lovely MBP.

11. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If you are that upset about it I'd go ahead and send it back.

12. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I think you should use the macro mode on your camera or touch and focus on your image from an iPhone.

Cameras with auto-focusing shouldn't have taken such an awful pic.

13. amarcus macrumors 6502

My advice is to keep it. Here's why:

1) I've owned many Macbook Pro's in my day and I'm certain a "perfect" one has never been built. Every Macbook Pro has some sort of small imperfection like that but most people aren't observant enough to notice it.
    2) If you return your machine you could very well end up with one that has a dead pixel that is technically "within manufacturing requirements". A dead pixel would irritate you a whole lot more then a small chip.
    3) A small dent like that could happen again very easily so it's probably not worth the effort of sending it back. I guess it just comes down to how much you value your time...

Adam

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

OCD much?

Keep it, the odd little mark will appear very quickly if you actually use your machine.

Gives it character anyway :cool:

15. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

My money says if you didn't see it on Day 1 or 2, you did it.

Laptops will get dings due to being mobile devices.

16. quadcoreguy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man you guys really help guys like me get peace of mind :D Thats the closest my 18-55 gets me :D i think imma live with it :D saves me the hassle of sending in back knowing it'll soon get more of those dents:D thanks a bunch guys i'm gonna get a hardshell so it wont seem obvious :D

17. mape2k macrumors regular

Maybe you should stop worrying so much about your MBP and start reading the manual for you DSLR :rolleyes: the 18-55 has a certain minimum range, if you are under that range it will not focus correctly. Next time stay above the range, and digitally crop the image -> much nicer results ;)

18. MacHamster68, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont worry as we humans age we get wrinkles too, so do the MacBooks, so nothing to be concerned about and no reason to return it , i have seen worse and still described as "mint condition" , thats just how MacBooks are if they get used , the only way to avoid such "damage" is never order a MacBook in first place, its the choice of material that makes them so fragile but light ..

but all those little dings and scratches makes every MacBook unique like a human fingerprint and in case of getting stolen easy to identify ...if you make clear pictures of course ;)

19. mape2k macrumors regular

20. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I exchanged three new 15" BTO MBP's due to huge scratches over 2" long, both on the lid and palm rest. It must have been a bad batch that slipped through quality control.

I kept the fourth one, even though it too is scratched.

At least they're smaller. I just couldn't keep waiting to get my money back and have to start over after three long months of returns.

Other than that my new one is fantastic.

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Did you enable your camera's macro mode? (the icon looks like a little flower...)

I think I see the nick that you're talking about.

Just buy a Speck brand plastic case - it'll go over the nick in the corner, and with or without the case, it'll get scuffed over time anyway.

Also consider, the exchange you might get could have bigger problems. If the only one is a little ding, and everything else is perfect, I wouldn't risk it. (I had high temps and a very unevenly-lit keyboard. The exchange had temps 6C cooler and a near-perfectly backlit keyboard. There's one issue with the monitor, but I've looked at my other MBP and videos online - the problem is recreate-able and is not abnormal for LCD monitors. That's not worth exchanging it over. :)

22. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Yeah I've never been a huge fan of using Aluminum as the external material...it's good some good qualities but cosmetically it ages fast.

That's partly why I'm so excited about the prospect of a new material in the next MBP refresh/evolution.

If the rumored Liquid Metal material (or Carbon Fiber coated/painted) can be as cost effective as aluminum to start (these things have a planned cost production curve like Consoles, where it gets less expensive year 2, 3...etc to make) AND more scratch resistant, lighter, and as heat friendly..................

23. quadcoreguy thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah I never thought of cropping the pic instead. Yeah better not send it back incase I get a faulty one :D Guess I'll live with this one then :D

24. Resist macrumors 68030

I never understand why people ask for advice for something in a picture, yet post one that's out of focus. :rolleyes: