Dent in my Macbook: is it repairable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by corvidic, Oct 18, 2014.

1. corvidic macrumors newbie

Yesterday I tripped on a wire, causing my Macbook Pro to fall to the ground. Now there is a small dent in the aluminum frame, in the left corner nearest to the charger cable plug. When I picked it up, the screen was not working correctly and was unresponsive to the track pad. When I tried to restart it, my computer simply beeped three times repeatedly.

Since the screen isn't cracked, what exactly was damaged? Can my computer be repaired, and at what cost might this be?

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

3-Beeps ~ RAM likely unseated

Well, the 'good part' is that 3-beeps is indicative of the RAM being unseated likely after your dance.. hopefully you can pop it open and re-seat it.. The DENT, not so much fixable!! ;)

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

3 beeps is missing RAM; you probably knocked the RAM out or something.

4. Crugga macrumors regular

You can probably replace the case if its a real issue. Is the dent on the bottom pannel or the actual main piece?. If its on the bottom pannel it will be an easy job just look on ebay for someone selling a matching piece as people are always breaking machines. If its on the main piece its not as easy and I imagine not something you would want to attempt yourself. Im sure Apple would do it but dont imagine it being cheap. I guess though this depends on what model you have, seems the older machines are easier to work on from an amateur point.

And yes just remove the ram and put it back in, remember to switch off, unplug and ground yourself first.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a non rMBP, then you might have jarred the ram free. If you have a rMBP, I have no idea, since the ram is soldered onto the logic board.

6. Crugga macrumors regular

Didnt think about that, well if its soldered someone must of been stingy on the solder when manufacturing.

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

A robot solders the components.

The motherboard/ram connections probably got damaged in the fall.

8. corvidic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the helpful comments! My Macbook doesn't have rMBP, so I strongly suspect that the RAM was indeed knocked out. The dent itself isn't much of a concern to me, I'm just hopeful that I'll soon be able to get my computer working again. :)

9. Crugga macrumors regular

You should of seen my old MBP, was not one part of it that wasnt dented or bent, still worked absolutely perfect so you have a good chance its nothing more than loose ram. I used to take it out working in a lockup and stuff so was careless leaving it balanced on things and id drop it often. More carefull with this one, straight in a hard case.