Dent on my Notebook - Is there any way to fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by motorpsycho, Feb 13, 2009.

1. motorpsycho macrumors newbie

Hi, I don't post that often here, but I'll make this quick. I have a 13 inch black Macbook running on Leopard that got a dent on it today when I accidently dropped my Sanyo Beta Player (yes, people still do use them. Sorry, Moving on!) The dent is right next to my mousepad and I was wondering does the Apple store take out small imperfections like an annoying dent off of Notebooks? I remember one time bringing in my Notebook because the hard drive got screwed up, and on top of fixing my Hard Drive they also fixed a crack on my notebook and cleaned my mousepad, to the point where I was almost convinced they gave me another Notebook! Has anyone ever taken their items into the Mac store for things like that? How much would they normally charge for that? I'm also trying to be money conscience here ;).

2. animaxcg macrumors regular

if you want to shell out a lot of $, they'll do it, but its not under warenty so you have to pay

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably a couple hundred for a top case and keyboard.

4. motorpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

REALLY? Damn, see, I've paid for repairs not covered by warranty because I didn't buy that Notebook Insurance that they offer (stupid me) I've paid out of pocket for stuff before like a new CD drive was around 170 bucks. I would think something like fixing a little dent would be maybe 20 bucks, just pulling out a buffer or something leaving it at that. But it I guess it makes sense.

Ah well, it's not too bad. I'm sure within a couple months, I'll almost forget it's even there. I'll just wait until something else happens to my notebook that'll have me bringing it back there if anything.

5. motorpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see. That explains how they removed my hard drive, just taking off the top case. I'm still typing without a problem it seems, so it's no priority. I guess they only fix those things if they are going in for something else like broken keys or something. Ah well, as long as my Notebook is still functioning I think I'll be alright.

6. aluminumapple macrumors regular

i remember my sister braking her notebook screen and there was a huge dent on the top of the macbook and only costed her about 249 CA.
    i really doubt it will be that much if your not replacing the keyboard.

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

The harddrive doesn't come out by taking the top off. It's in the side of the battery compartment. They replaced your keyboard because it's a known issue and Apple has agreed to replace cracked keyboard assemblies even out of warranty as long as it hasn't been abused.

8. motorpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking this. It would probably cost more if there was some damage to the notebook that needed to be fixed. Its only replacing a top case if anything.

They didn't know that my keyboard had broken keys. They were just aware that I had a disc stuck in my hard drive that I needed to get out and that it was making strange shrill sounds. I didn't have to pay much for them to fix the keys (Everything was essentially under the same price and I wasn't charged extra for anything other than to get my Hard Drive replaced and that was it). And nothing was essentially cracked, but it suffered possibly water damages at one point (Which was not something I was aware of, although other people had used my computer at some point). You wouldn't have really noticed the crack on the side of the notebook, unless I had pointed it out to you, but other than that, they essentially replaced my entire top case with a new one.

What I'm saying is they might have noticed it on their own when I took it there and left it with them, because if you had used my computer for a couple minutes, you would have realize that my enter key didn't work.