Dent/Scratched rMBP - will Applecare still cover future faults?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmanto02, Jan 10, 2013.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

First of all sorry about the same repetitive thread however I recently dropped my MacBook Pro from about 2 feet onto a tar road - it was in a laptop bag however the top of the bag doesn't have any padding.

It still works perfectly but i'm worried that Applecare won't cover future faults because of physical damage.

It is only minor - here is a pic

[​IMG]

Would it be worth making a Genius appointment to report the damage so they are made aware, and that any future faults are not related to the damage?

Cheers

2. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

The only ones that are going to be able to tell you for sure is Apple:apple:

My guess is your ok but thats a guess

4. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

It would be ridiculous if they did not...but just to be sure call em' up or go to an Apple store and get their word for it so you won't run into any issues in the future.

5. robin0627 macrumors member

My rMBP have two very little dent on the same area but I just accept it:eek:

6. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I think it all depends on the person you get at the Apple store. My old iPhone's button stopped working. I took it to the store and they wanted $50 to replace it because they said it was water damaged. I went to the Apple store by my job and they said it didn't look water damaged to them and replaced it for free.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

I had a dent on the top of my rMBP that had IR issues. Took it in to a genius, she did the IR test and it failed, but then she made up some bs about how the dent voids the entire warranty. I wrote an email to Tim Cook explaining what happened and the next day got a call from the store manager apologizing for the geniuses' actions, telling me to bring it in and they'll replace the screen for me.

So you might encounter a power-hungry genius who tells you it voids the warranty, but just go over their head and Apple will still fix any manufacturing defects your machine may have.