Dent: There goes the resale value

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gerbilbox, Oct 21, 2012.

1. gerbilbox macrumors regular

I dropped my week-old iPod touch. I'm not really bummed out since it's working just fine and I actually didn't notice the dent for hours, but I usually take better care of my property. I made the mistake of moving while it was charging, the cable pulled it out of my hands, free-falling without a parachute 3-4 feet to the kitchen floor and landed on a protrusion.

Curious as to how much Apple charges to repair/replace damage like this, but otherwise I can easily live with a slightly less than perfect iPod touch. Now, I'm holding on to it with a tighter grip. And case makers, I need your new cases now!

[​IMG]

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I don't think they repair cosmetic damage like that. They would probably offer you a replacement at a cheaper price....$200ish

3. Itouch g1 macrumors member

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

You wont lose as much in resale as you would fixing it. Chill out

5. 617aircav Suspended

If you care so much about resale value why didn't you get a case?

6. cnev3 macrumors 6502

If I know i'm keeping a device permanently, or long term, it can have all the cosmetic damage in the world, and I don't mind, as long as it doesn't affect operation. Scratches, dents, and worn off finish look good to me. It gives the device character. When I see something worn from use, that says it was worth using a lot, and that's good.

But yeah, the resale value took a hit there.

Apple users are easily the most picky when it comes to the cosmetic condition of their devices.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why in the world would they do that? Have you ever worked in retail? :confused:

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Yes, I have, and that is exactly what they do as someone else pointed out. They offer you a replacement for $149 (aka $200ish as i posted). Not for cosmetic damage, but if it affect performance.

9. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

However, you will probably lose more than 10% resale value. If you return it (you have up to 30 days) the most they can charge you is a 10% restocking fee. And if you're a good sweet talker, you can get away with no restocking fee. Return it and buy another one.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Where was this?

I know my company would never do that, but then again my company is pure evil.

11. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

Check out eBay for a replacement back cover,

Type in these search words: NEW Replacement 4th Gen iPod Touch back cover 8gb

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Apple always does this. For the new iphone, it is $229 for what they consider "out of warranty replacements" (dropping your phone causing malfunction or defects after the 1 year warranty period)

13. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

There you go - your recommendation is that he take no personal responsibility and make someone pay for his mistake.

The saving grace is that judging by the OP's post, it doesn't look like he's the type who would try to lie, cheat and steal his way out of a mishap.

----------

I believe his is a 5th generation - different bird.

14. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

15. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole