Dented Aluminum Macbook Battery Cover

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vilim12, Apr 13, 2009.

1. vilim12 macrumors regular

So I ordered a new/sealed in box MacBook 2.4GHz model, and upon inspection I noticed there is a slight dent/nick in the battery/HD cover. I contacted the eBay store I purchased it from and they said they cant do anything about it because they sold me a brand new computer that was still sealed in box, and that theres no way they couldve caused it. That I do understand as it was sealed in box. So I go ahead and contact Applecare they said theres nothing they can do about it and theyve never heard of such a thing. So they insist on denying my claim to have it replaced. I think if a product comes in their box sealed and unopened, that whatever the state of the contents inside are should be in Apple spec, regardless who I purchased it from. I dont beleive the dent could have been made any other way but by Apple themselves upon boxing my laptop. What do you guys think? While I was writing this I got a call back asking for pictures of the dented case, I will go ahead and send those to them and keep you updated.

2. fpar macrumors regular

In this situation it is usually the resellers responsibility as you did not pay apple. I had a similar issue when i bought my mbp from john lewis, they just replaced instantly. Since you bought it from bay i don't know if there is anything you can do. Good luck.

3. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I do get where the seller is coming from as to it not being his fault, because clearly he got it from Apple in the same condition as he sent it to me in. He never even saw the laptop himself, just the outer box. I just sent the pics off waiting to see whats going on now.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well it clearly isn't the eBay sellers fault here since it was sealed and he had no way of knowing.

Apple should be responsible since that's how it shipped out. The thing is however, you can have easily done that damage to it and just say it came like that and there's no way of proving it.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. That's why I'm so against buying an Apple computer from anywhere but an Apple Store or Apple Store online. If something does happen, you always have the opportunity to return it or exchange it within 14 days. And it becomes beneficial if something like cosmetic defects arise. Like rgarjr said, you could've easily did yourself but you have no proof. I feel how annoyed you can get but I would also take into consideration that if everything else is perfect and it's just the battery cover, I would think twice if I really want to risk it. I as well as many on this forum know how hard it is to get a "perfect" computer. Does the battery cover really bother you that much?

6. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

It doesnt bother me, but I would still like to have a perfect computer. Literally everything else on my machine is absolutely perfect. Im not looking for them to exchange my computer I just wanted a new battery door, and thats all ive been asking for over the phone. Theres no way I couldve managed to dent it by taking it out of the box, placing it on my desk. Next day picking it up and examining it. The laptop was 2 days old when I made my first call to applecare about the issue.

7. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what im saying it came from their factory like that. I know I didnt manage to dent it by placing it down on my desk once.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OP... I'm sorry this happened to you.. but I'm curious. Why did you buy from a eSeller, when those things could of been purchased directly from the online AppleStore? Did they offer something extra that Apple wouldn't normally? Perhaps better deal? tempting Gifts.. Lower price?

I guess what you could try and it'll be entirely up to the store, since you didn't purchase it from them.

How about calling Apple, or better yet visiting a AppleStore with your serial number, proof of purchase and explain your problems to them?
    They might offer you a new replacement battery cover or they might tell you to deal with the original retailer/seller.

No harm in asking, is there?

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well if dont exchange it, you can always get a new battery cover at:
    www.ifixit.com

10. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

If you actually read my post, youd see that I did call apple. But yeah going with eBay saved me 230 dollars, 200 were from microsoft live cashback, and 30 was a new eBay bucks promotion. Otherwise I would have purchased through Apple.

11. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, but for 50 bucks forget that lol. I know exactly what ill be doing if they decide to deny my claim, ill steal it off a damn display model :cool:.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

(*disappointment/smh*) So uncool, so uncool...lol

13. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

Theyre being uncool lol, am I really asking for too much lol?

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

15. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

Everything got sorted out, my Apple rep gave me a call today and said the case was approved. He talked to my eBay vendor and I guess liked what he heard from him lol. Will be sent out tomorrow I beleive and they dont even want their dented cover back. This is the Apple service im used to..

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

17. vilim12 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea and it actually turns out its already in FedExs hands, I talked to the guy like 4 hours ago too which is the funny thing, extimated time of arrival 10 30 am TOMORROW!!!!

18. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Just reviving an old thread, as the same thing has happened to me. I bought a brand new 13" MBP from the Online Apple Store. It arrived on Friday, and I have since noticed that there are three small dents on the bottom of the MBP. No I know this does not affect the computer in any way, but shouldn't accept it less that perfect after spending the money.

How did you solve the problem? Did they send you a new base? I went to the apple store in birmingham, but they said it should be dealt with online. Any advice, suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.

19. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Good lol for you lol. I have lol a warped battery lol cover lol. Have ApplolCare, so I'lol just bring it in lol when the lol time comes that lol I can lol miss it.

:rolleyes:

20. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Not sure what I would do, but this is why Apple products cost more. The price point is too high and we expect them the be perfect. Not sure of the size of the dent, but there have been threads around here were folks have returned for a cosmetic scratch on the bottom.

We all pay for this kind of behavior. Screens, keyboards, other functional things broken, ya, but ......

Also why o why do folks keep buying applecare? Best Buy sells a service called black tie geek squad coverage that covers drops, spills, EVERYTHING that can go wrong with a computer, about the same price. For 3 years. Really gives one piece of mind.

21. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Because not everyone lives in the US.

22. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

And because some of us would never let anyone from the Geek Squad anywhere near our computers.