Dented corner unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Giantsfan1056, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Giantsfan1056 macrumors newbie

a rather unfortunate incident happened today, my unibody macbook pro has got a dent on the bottom left corner. I work at a computer store and me and my coworker were servicing a customer. they had a 3 year old kid who was running about the store. he wanted to get on a chair which so happened to have my laptop. he pushed off my laptop bag with my mbp, ipad, poweradapter etc in. it hit the floor i hear the sound of the metal straps hits the ground. i ran to its location, checked ipad, shes good, and i found this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i won't be getting anything from the customer she is dirt poor. i just want to know the my standing with apple care.
    i'm afraid that if i ever need service apple will say its been dropped and kabosh my warranty. what should i do? the nearest apple store is 50min away. i'm past my 90 days so i can't call.
    this is an i7 mbp bought before the latest refresh.

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That really bites, but I don't think there's much you can do. I guess you can try to document it with Apple, but should a problem ever arise, they will almost certainly point to that damage as a cause.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

should have bought a speck or incase hardshell so this wouldnt have happened

4. Zeus86 macrumors member

Apple just repaired the top display that had a small dent on the outer corner. But I also had some dead pixels on the screen so I'm not sure if they would if they would of replaced just for the dent. Call applecare and see what they say, I have had better experience calling applecare instead of going to the genius bar.

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I'd say your employer at the very least should be responsible for this.. unless your bag was somewhere it shouldn't have been.

6. Giantsfan1056 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah had a spec case on my old mbp. perhaps thats why its in perfect condition 4 years after the fact. i emailed my employer. hes as cheap as they come.

7. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I think it depends on your local Genius Bar. I had a similar but much more severe dent on my screen, which they replaced (with a new display) whilst fixing other problems.

8. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Just curious, but why was your computer on a chair where customers can get to it? If you work there, wouldn't you just keep it in the back somewhere?

Seems like someone could just walk in and take it...

But about the warranty, I don't think they could really say this voids it, I mean very few laptops stay in perfect condition for long, and it's a pretty minor dent. I don't think you should worry about that part of it.

9. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

A 3 year old running around in a computer store = not good.

As previously suggest, it's best to take it to apple to show it still works after the drop, which means when it has a problem it isn't 100% the drop's fault.
    I mean if you walk into an apple store with a broken macbook with a dent... uhh I wouldn't cover that whatever the warranty said :p But if it's known to have worked after dropping it, it may change things.

10. Giantsfan1056 thread starter macrumors newbie

off to genius bar i go. called apple, told me to take to authorized center or genius bar. i'm so irate i don't want to explain the rest of the story.

11. DKTacts macrumors member

^Being nice/friendly to the Apple Store people will get you pretty far. :D

12. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Like DKTacts said, you SHOULD do your best to be as friendly and nice as possible. Once, I got mad because my iPod Touch won't turn on (which was like 3 weeks old) and they were like 'no, no sir, we can't fix that.' Then, I went to another local Apple Store when I was cooled off, and asked the genius nicely, she said 'sure. I'll get you a replacement ASAP.'